Old 17 July 2016, 12:29   #1

Town: TEIGNMOUTH
Boat name: Little Nelly
Make: Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 25HP
Advice please- Honwave T40

Hi, as you may have seen I am new to RIBS/SIBS. I went to the local boat shop this weekend and explained what I am looking to do with the boat and my budget. I am looking for something big enough for maybe 4 adults, although it would normally be 2 adults and a couple of small dogs. I live in Teignmouth, Devon and we have quite a fierce current down here on the tides. I'll be using it for fishing and just coastal cruising to local bays. I suppose I would prefer a RIB, but it would be second hand at my budget and getting a decent engine would worry me.

My budget is £4k. For this I have been offered a brand new Honwave T40 with a new 20HP 4 stroke Honda engine and Extreme bunked trailer.

Is this a good combo, anyone have experience of these?

Advice please? Would this set up suit my needs?
Old 17 July 2016, 13:02   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
The T40 is a roomy, robust SIB (I've had the 3.5 version) at a great price.

Main downsides are the weight and fiddly setup procedure... but with a trailer those are not an issue.

BF20 Honda engine is quiet and easy on fuel. You could get a lighter 20hp at slightly less money if you went for the Suzuki DF20efi I have. But the weight is not an issue as you will have a trailer and I'd not argue with anyone that said they prefer the Honda engine reputation.

The only alternative I'd consider would be the 3.5 Honwave if you were 2+dogs most of the time... they are very roomy too.
Old 17 July 2016, 13:26   #3

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
I was going to suggest you look at Fenlander's experience with his new Suzuki and did you want to keep the boat on a trailer full time?

A decent looking used 3.8 airfloor Honwave with Honda 20 hp plus trailer was advertised on this forum for £1750 recently

I'll be going out from Polly Steps next week if you want to see a 3.2 airfloor / 15hp. It does for me + 1, wth two dogs and a bit of gear, too small. The 3.8 would be better for room. Do you want a hard floor or air floor? PM me for details if you want
Old 17 July 2016, 13:44   #4

Posted after I'd read Fenlanders post.. the 3.5 HW Ali floor will be roomy, wider
Old 18 July 2016, 07:11   #5

Thanks for the advice. Yabbadabbadoo, tried to PM but couldn't for some reason (probably me being thick)
Old 18 July 2016, 08:18   #6

Town: glasgow
Boat name: black cat
Make: redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 140hp
Hi

I would go for the F-RIB 360 and the suzuki EFI outboard and no trailer. That way you get a RIB and not a soft bottom boat. The T40 I also found was not great in waves and flexed far to much for me. The honda outboard is bullet proof but dull so if like most people you are not doing more than 100 hours a year get the far better suzuki as that is lighter and EFI . Or as that is a few more quid ( quote if you want) I would go F-RIB and 2nd hand outboard. for 4K you would probably also get the trailer if the outboard was 2nd hand!

Summery

4K for a SIB is a lot of money and if it was my money I would be looking at other options. I am not saying dont do it but you can get a good SR4 for that money!

Dave
Old 18 July 2016, 08:23   #7

I've sent you a message, check your inbox
Old 18 July 2016, 12:37   #8

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
4K will buy you a very nice Sr4 which will do all you want and a lot more but second hand!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2016, 12:58   #9

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
NICK

I was thinking of a sr 4 also.

TSM
Old 18 July 2016, 13:42   #10

Hi ash

I've got a honwave t40 and an frib 360. I think they are both great. The t40 is a much bigger boat despite only being a wee bit longer. Unlike Ashton marine I haven't had any flex issues and have found it very capable in waves. I think you'd find the frib a bit cramped even with 2 people and 2 dogs and some kit - with 4 people and 2 dogs there wouldn't be enough room I don't think.

If you're def trailering all the time I'd be going for the t40. It's a great value boat as well.
Old 23 July 2016, 16:01   #11

Don't get what Ashton Marine is talking about - flex in a aluminium floored sib.
I have a Honwave 3.5ae aluminium floor it don't flex at all.
I also have a Honwave T3.8 air floor - it does flex.
There's a problem if your aluminium floored sib is flexing.
Old 23 July 2016, 21:59   #12

OK, so I have taken the plunge. Ordered the Honwave T40, with the Suzuki 20hp engine, all sitting on a new trailer. Pic it up in about 10 days... cannot wait. She has already been named Little Nelly!
Old 23 July 2016, 22:42   #13

Good package - hold money well
Old 23 July 2016, 22:42   #14

Well done Ash... sure it will make a great outfit. Be interested to hear how you get on with the Suzuki 20 powering it.... well actually how you like the whole setup. Chuck up some images when you get out if you can.
Old 24 July 2016, 06:33   #15

Town: glasgow
Boat name: black cat
Make: redbay
Engine: suzuki 140hp
Hi

I have been out in some big waves to see what the T40 honwave was like and the boat was not as near as rigid as I would have liked it to be. 1m waves fine. 2 m waves at 10 O clock and the front port side of the boat flexes.

Not a nice experience but then some people dont mind it. I do. It does not fill you with confidence and the handling in the bigger stuff for me is nasty and when that happens more than an hour from home still in coastal water so still in the CAT C range it is not a remotely fun

The ali floor is also for a pain to put up and that not just on the Honwaves but every ali floor SIB I have been on.Again I am not saying they dont have their place but I am not into faffing about. You can get a good SR4 or 5.4 for the same money or a FRIB and for my money both handle far far better.

Dave
Old 24 July 2016, 06:43   #16

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I love my Honwave 3.5 AE . It's got a 20hp Tohatsu on and I've been out in some big waves and never felt any flexing but I'm always spot on with the pressures.
I don't find assembly much of a chore either but experience has taught me that two people do it so much quicker.
You'll love the outfit and you'll get years of fun out of it, enjoy.
Old 24 July 2016, 08:17   #17

Yup paddlers I agree.
I too have a Honwave 3.5ae with a Tohatsu 20hp 4 stroke.
Never had any flexing and I've been out in all sorts of stinking sea conditions.
Only just bought a T3.8 with an air floor and it does flex as one would expect. The flexing actually smoothes out the ride - i don't have any concerns about it flexing.
When I bought the 3.5ae I was advised against its bigger brother - the 4.0ae as I was told they were more susceptible to broken floor boards and stringers. I have no experience of the larger 4.0ae so I can't comment. There's certainly no flex in the 3.5ae and if I was to rewind to the point of purchase it would be the 3.5ae again as it is plenty big for my needs.
6 years on and it's still like new no seam / glue failures - I agree building it is a pain, that's why i built a trailer for it.
The T3.8 is a doddle to set up in comparison.
Old 24 July 2016, 08:41   #18

Ashton Marine your post comes across as really bad form when you know the guy has just bought new the SIB you're trying to trash.

My unbiased real life private user experience of many SIB types inc alloy floor Honwaves enables me to give a big thumbs up to Ashwatkins new outfit.

And you mention again the faff of setting up... why... the guy's having it all on a new trailer.
Old 24 July 2016, 09:03   #19

My t40 ae has had 6 years of being hammered, fully laden, big waves,etc, I am not one bit careful with it, in fact I don't really look after it very well at all. As I said it doesn't flex at all and I'm amazed at how robust it is. Ash I think that's a great setup you've got, enjoy it.
Old 24 July 2016, 10:02   #20

Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
Another 👍 for honwave

I've owned an Ali floor 3.5 which didn't flex, and was sat on a trailer so no assembly issues

My new 3.2 air deck does flex (only used twice) but considering "car boot to on water time" within around 20 mins (bravo pump) it's an excellent sib

I'm sure you'll love your T40, good outboard choice too