Old 24 July 2016, 10:11   #21

Town: TEIGNMOUTH
Boat name: Little Nelly
Make: Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 25HP
Hey all, thanks for the advice and support that led me to buy this set up. I think for what I will be using her for, it will be perfect (fingers crossed).

Ashton, thank you for pointing out all the frailties of the T40, thankfully a lot more people seem to disagree with you than agree. As I said in my original post, I would have preferred to buy a RIB, but to get a decent SR4 with a very recent/new engine for £4k just impossible. I want trouble free boating, hence buying a new set up. Also, I am only 5 minutes from the sea, so I wanted a permanent trailer set up, so no faffing building her, just straight out of the garage and into the water. I did look at the FRIB, as you previously suggested and just did not like the design of them.

I'll post some pics once I get her in the water.

Happy boating everyone
Old 24 July 2016, 10:15   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Ashton, with too much load at the back, big waves at the front, you are putting a twisting force on the boat (particularly if a heavy skipper is alone on the opposite corner to the waves). Helmsman skill and correct assembly can reduce it, but 2m waves in a sib (or small rib) are never that pleasant. If you find yourself unexpectedly in those sort of conditions an hour from a safe haven having never tried it in big waves before then something has gone wrong with your passage planning. Confidence gained through experience is probably more useful than over confidence from the hardware.
Old 24 July 2016, 14:12   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Ashton Marine your post comes across as really bad form when you know the guy has just bought new the SIB you're trying to trash.
Having read this thread carefully, I'm of the opinion that ashtonmarine was in fact responding to the observations made by Kaman in Post 11. Read in that context they don't seem like "bad form" to me. It would help a lot if posters learned how to quote the post they were replying to - otherwise once thread drift begins, it's very difficult to know who's replying to what.

I'm always a little surprised when forum members are shocked that Trade Members are very enthusiastic about the products they sell! ashtonmarine sells F-RIBs and both he and indeed our own Gurnard speak very highly of them. Equally, ashtonmarine no longer represents a company that sells Hondas, which may explain his epiphany in respect of Suzukis.

I wish the OP the very best of luck with the 4m Honda inflatable. IMO, a small ali hulled RIB would have suited the bill very well too....
Old 24 July 2016, 15:56   #24

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Well of course... as always... you're the boss Willk... however

(see what I did there?)

Just to make sure I understand...

We have a forum dealer enthusing about his two current products (FRib & Suzuki outboards) at the expense of a forum member's shiny new toy.

The same forum dealer it seems not too long ago was a Honwave SIB and Honda outboard dealer... and on here in that previous incarnation he always enthused about Honwave alloy floor SIBs describing them in glowing terms... as he did advising Honda outboards above all others... outboards he now calls "dull".

Fair summary?
Old 24 July 2016, 16:50   #25

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:

Fair summary?
LOl.. a normal human summary and Ashton Marine is human..I think ?

It just proves what I have always said about “Which Sib is Best” debates Fenlander.. the best one is the one the person posting owns.(or sells)

In my experience .. ALL boats are compromises.. each and every one has good and bad points. If there was one perfect model for everyone..all other brands would have gone bust.. simply because I doubt if any of us are silly folks with our money..so we chose what suits us best.

As I own both a Floored SIB and an F Rib .. I hope Im totally unbiased in this instance...but going by Ashwatkins requirements and specifically wanting brand new (Which both of us can fully understand as we both wanted new ourselves this year ) I think he has made the right choice..and is the boat I would have bought under his circumstances

Another debate for outside this thread is which boat I would prefer to be in 2m waves.. I wont go too much into that here except to say .. I keep my Quicksilver 430 for a reason.. but I love my Frib to bits for speed and wave jumping with its 6HP outboard..but it is of no use for the OP’s requirements

Enjoy the new SIB Ash..its a great setup and totally suited for your requirements

PS..re reading my post.. and for Clarification Fenlander ..I know you offer sound advice ....and I agree totally with you
Old 24 July 2016, 18:11   #26
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
... and on here in that previous incarnation he always enthused about Honwave alloy floor SIBs describing them in glowing terms... as he did advising Honda outboards above all others... outboards he now calls "dull".

Fair summary?
In fairness, most forum members* tend to bang on about how good their various craft are. I guess dealers have it even worse - they have to eat...

*Although some are quite secretive
Old 24 July 2016, 18:55   #27

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
... most forum members* tend to bang on about how good their various craft are.
Some bang louder than others.
Old 05 August 2016, 20:52   #28

Well I picked my T40, Little Nelly, up today. I went for the 25 HP 4 stroke in the end. Had her in the water this eve and she was easy to launch, motored along beautifully and was so easy to get back on her trailer. I am as happy as pig in muck tonight!

Thank you for all the advice given!
Old 05 August 2016, 21:46   #29

Good stuff ash.
I'm sure you will create many great memories in that little set up.
Old 05 August 2016, 22:12   #30

Great result Ash. Many of us work up through SIB and/or OB sizes but you have the robust performance of a meaty outfit from the start:
Old 06 August 2016, 12:16   #31

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Little Nelly, great name! Good to hear the update many happy voyages to you
Old 06 August 2016, 17:30   #32

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Great set up Ash, nice one. Super rig you've got, spot on first time round.
Old 06 August 2016, 19:46   #33
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
Little Nelly, great name!
I thought so too. Note early use of Go-Pro:

Old 08 August 2016, 20:37   #34

Here she is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160805_165753.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	114994  
Old 15 August 2016, 07:47   #35
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Tonto
Make: Honwave 3.8 Airfloor
Engine: Honda BF20 4st
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwatkins View Post
Here she is
Excellent. A great setup,plenty of hours of fun ahead.
Old 15 August 2016, 08:09   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explore Cowal View Post
Excellent. A great setup,plenty of hours of fun ahead.
Thanks. Spent most of the weekend on her. Stopping at coastal pubs and small inlets.
Old 15 August 2016, 13:31   #37
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Tonto
Make: Honwave 3.8 Airfloor
Engine: Honda BF20 4st
.....and that's what it's all about.
Old 23 August 2016, 16:13   #38

Good choice , i also purchased a 4m Honwave with the Ali floor and also went for the 20hp Honda , i read loads of stuff about being too heavy etc but decided i'm a strong chap and decided to go down that route.

Yeah it's heavy and the 20 hp is on the limit of what would be safe for one guy to manage , the setup is fine once you suss the floor assembly , we manage to get the 5 of us + kit + boat and engine into a rangerover without a roof box , all good . I made a stand for the gear so the floor bag goes in first , engine on top and the main boat sits on the stand , it fits well and nothing gets damaged from the weight of the various items.
Old 07 October 2016, 00:11   #39

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwatkins View Post
I went for the 25 HP 4 stroke in the end.
I don't understand this and to me it doesn't make sense why manufacturers are selling any of these. When I picked my SIB up there was a Excel RIB with 25HP Suzuki and side by side it was a magnitude bigger than my 20HP, a third heavier and probably £1K more expensive for just 5HP!

The reason I chose 20HP was because it is the same weight as the 15HP, and only a couple of hundred pounds more expensive. Following the same logic why buy 25HP when you could run a 30HP which would be less stressed pushing the same load? At least you get 10HP for the extra weight and price penalty. However in this category there's also the E-TEC 25 to consider which I might have purchased if they didn't make them so darned heavy (don't know the price comparison with Suzuki 25 though).
Old 07 October 2016, 08:46   #40

You might not have spotted that Ash is using his outfit from a trailer which is a luxury that negates the worry over outboard weights.

The Suzuki 25 has 50% greater capacity and is a smoother running outboard as it's a 3cyl rather than ours being a 2cyl... you will notice once you get out ours has an odd offbeat vibration due to its cylinder configuration.... and if money weren't an issue I'd choose a 25 for a trailer outfit if the transom was rated for it.... but no way could I lift its 62kg for a daily setup.

I note from my local dealer the 25 is £470 more than the 20 but the 30 is a whopping £1070 more. So as usual these price differces are both tempting and also barriers depending on your point of view... or what you tell the Mrs.