Old 28 July 2005, 00:13   #1

Town: farnborough
Length: no boat
advice on sibs

Hi I am new to this forum and I don't know if this the right place to ask about information on sibs/inflatables but here it goes.
After looking at most of the makes of inflatables I have narrowed my choice down to 2 they are.

Quicksilver aerodeck 340 with a 15hp engine

Bombard aerotec 380 with either a 15hp or 25hp engine

The reason I have picked these 2 are because they are light,easy to set up and pack away and can be launched with dolly wheels.I will be looking to use the boat with my family(wife and child) or by myself or with another adult.Also when my when my daughter is old enough I would like to be able to tow inflatable toys.

Question 1

Is this the right choice of boat?

Question 2

The bombard is £700 more than the quicksilver.Apart from the extra 40cm in length and being able to take a 25hp engine is it worth spending that extra amount of money.Is it worth putting a 25hp engine on a small boat like this?

Question 3

What speed could i get from both boats with 2 adults?

question 4

Do you buy a engine by the max weight or max hp the boat can take?

question 5

2 or 4 stroke. The reason i ask is are they stopping making 2 stroke after 2006?
Old 28 July 2005, 07:43   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
1. Either of these will almost certainly do what you want. Air floor is definitely the right choice -- I wouldn't even contemplate any other sort! Another one worth considering is the Zodiac Futura Fastroller.

2. That 40cm make a lot of difference when you're looking at boats in this size range, although a 340 will be ample for a couple of adults and a child. You'll get plenty of performance for normal use with a 15hp engine, and it will be very quick with a 25. Bear in mind the difference in cost for the engines as well as the boats, and also the additional weight of a 25hp (one person can just about carry it, but you wouldn't want to go far!)

3. I would guess at around 20 knots with the 15hp, a bit more with the 25hp. It will feel very fast though, and you won't want to go flat out in anything other than a flat calm.

4. Whichever is the lower limiting factor. Alternatively you may decide that you don't need to go to the maximum rated capacity for either.

5. Two strokes tend to be lighter and are more tolerant to being stored/carried at unusual angles. Four strokes are generally quieter and cleaner. At this sort of size, fuel economy is less on an issue than with bigger motors.

Sounds like you're set to have some fun. Let us know how you get on!

John
Old 28 July 2005, 08:01   #3

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
I would second what John is saying about 4 strokes, I have a Honda 2.3 for my tender and it is an oily engine because even handles carefully oil drips out of the breather
It is alright the whole time it is vertical on the boat but as soon as you move it, out comes the oil
A couple of things I would say in favour of a four stroke on your SIB is that it will be quieter and on a small boat sound matters
And the second thing is that not having to mix 2 stroke is a joy

Des
Old 28 July 2005, 09:03   #4

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Length: 4m +
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
hi
as well as a rib i have the bombard 420 with a yam30 hp for when i tow my caravan .it has been brilliant even in some seas i wish i hadnt been in !!
i would say get the steering and remotes its well worth the money also Bravo do a 12 volt eletric pump which with the high pressure floor is essential with this addition it makes the setup a pleasure.it takes approx 30 - 45 mins to setup and get in the water i have had 28mph out of this with 2 adults and 2 teenagers and it gives great fun with the toys !!
with the deep V hull the stability in the water is 2nd to none in the inflatables
one other thing i would recommend is dont get the bombard/zodiac launch wheels i did but they were a pain, i changed to the ones marine scene do swing up wheels so easy when your launching or recovering and no storage problems!!
if you want any more info be glad to help
Dino
Old 28 July 2005, 09:43   #5
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
I would second what John is saying about 4 strokes, I have a Honda 2.3 for my tender and it is an oily engine because even handles carefully oil drips out of the breather
It is alright the whole time it is vertical on the boat but as soon as you move it, out comes the oil
A couple of things I would say in favour of a four stroke on your SIB is that it will be quieter and on a small boat sound matters
And the second thing is that not having to mix 2 stroke is a joy

Des
The Honda 2/2.3 HP is not a quiet 4 stroke though because its air cooled. I sold mine because it sounded like an AK47 and was a pig to start. Now have a Yamaha Malta, which seems a good all rounder. Agree about the oil leaks Des and how the plug oils up if you lay the engine down.

Alex
Old 28 July 2005, 09:54   #6

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
The Honda 2/2.3 HP is not a quiet 4 stroke though because its air cooled.............
I agree that the 2.3 is not that quiet but the size anthony is talking about is
I still like the 2.3 because it has a clutch (of sorts), a kill cord and no impellor And lots of oil everywhere

I haven’t had any starting problems though. Des
Old 28 July 2005, 09:57   #7

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Yamy Malta great bit of kit, I fitted a kill cord to mine
Nick
Old 28 July 2005, 10:58   #8
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
I agree that the 2.3 is not that quiet but the size anthony is talking about is
I still like the 2.3 because it has a clutch (of sorts), a kill cord and no impellor And lots of oil everywhere

I haven’t had any starting problems though. Des
The Honda's are a good package, and easy to use and very economical. I think mine had a dubious history because when I went to look at it he was running it up in a bucket of water (its air cooled ) and he was even kind enough to chuck in a pair of flush muffs .
We laid ours down in the locker of a sailing cruiser and the motion of the boat caused the oil to go from the sump into the engine and therefore oiled the plug up and refused to start. In anthonys range as you say all the 4 strokes are water cooled.
The Malta is heavy but is well enginered with lots of grab handles and even my mum can start it!

Alex
Old 28 July 2005, 13:48   #9

Town: Iqaluit, Nunavut
Boat name: Turaagaq -North Star
Make: Bombard WB 385 -2002
Engine: Mercury 25 4-Stroke
If you go with a 25HP I would suggest a 2-stroke for portability. The difference is around 62KG for a 4 and 48KG for a 2-stroke. I have a hard time lifting my 4 stroke alone but it's 78KG.

A Yamaha 4-stroke 15 is 45KG and might be a good match for your boat. Yamaha also has a 15 2-stroke and only weights 36KG!
Old 28 July 2005, 14:27   #10
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Anthony

How about this: http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F68830

I quite fancy it myself, so don't hang around

John
Old 28 July 2005, 16:03   #11

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
"Pocket rocket dinghy" yeh, that'll go very well!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2005, 16:47   #12
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
that'll go very well!

dat zowdiak iz a badd deesine. de toobs arr inn de fkin worter orl de tyme an ders noe vennt inn de consowl

gArf
Old 29 July 2005, 05:13   #13

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I have an older Zodiac Mark I (3.4 m). It provides enough room for;

1 Person with enough gear for camping for 3-4 days and 40-60 litres of fuel.

2 Adults with fishing gear for a day trip and 40 litres of fuel.

3 Adults out for an afternoon with no other equipment than the basic required boating safety gear and 20 litres of fuel.

I have done weekend trips with a friend and 60 litres of fuel but both of us were literally sitting on a mound of equipment.

I would suggest at least 3.8m for the sake of versatility.

I currently have a used mercury 'classic' 25hp 2 stroke engine that weighs around 115 lbs (52 Kg). If road access is limited and I have to shoulder it a few hundred meters across a sandy beach it definitely gets me breathing the air.

If the initial expense were less of a consideration, I would have gone with a newer Honda BF20 that weighs around 102 lbs (46 Kg). The loss of 5hp (if it even is that much) would have easily been compensated by the quieter operation of the 4 stroke. Additionally a river trip that consumes 60 litres of litres of fuel with the 2 stroke would probably only require 40 with the 4 stroke, thus reducing weight and increasing space for other things.
Old 29 July 2005, 11:43   #14

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Ive waterskiied and wakeboarded behind a 4m Inflatable with a 25hp 2stroke on it.
Thought i'd throw that in because you wouldnt do it with much less than 25hp.
Old 07 August 2005, 16:35   #15

Town: farnborough
Length: no boat
Thanks for all your help.I am still looking for some more information about the quicksilver 340 airdeck.Does anybody know what there build quality is like and what the internal measurements are on this boat?
Old 08 August 2005, 03:08   #16

Sirius Bane had recently purchased a 4.3m quicksilver. You might want to PM and get his impressions. Last I heard, he might be selling it.
Old 08 August 2005, 15:03   #17

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
I had a 270 airdeck. Sold it last year. Very well made - didn't have any trouble with it at all. I found the floor was always dry becasue any water that got would go under the airdeck and then drain through the value at the back. I thought this was a great bit of design.

You'd be able to move the 340 with two people; could barly lift the 270 by ones self. As for getting it in the boot of the car, you'll need to put the seats down unless you have a huge boot (wouldn't go in the boot of a Peoguet 205)
Old 10 August 2005, 14:59   #18

Town: Bristol
Make: QuickSilver 3.4m
Engine: Mariner Outboard 5hp
Send a message via MSN to chaskins Send a message via Yahoo to chaskins
I have a 340 Airdeck with a 5HP outboard, could do with a bigger outboard but it will do for now
I've had 4 people and bags etc in comfortably.

The build quality in my opinion great. Although I agree with Tim you need two people to lift it into the water unless you put some dolly wheels. Possibly my next job.

You can download the manual from HERE
Which should give you the mesurements. If you want to know any specific ones give me a shout and I'll get my tape measure out.

It's a great little SIB

Chris
Old 11 August 2005, 00:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaskins

I've had 4 people and bags etc in comfortably.

Chris
Interesting. It must have a little bigger interior dimensions than my 3.4m zodiac. I have had 3 adults in it, as well as 2 adults + 2 children, but I certainly wouldn't describe that as 'comfortable' (Then again, we Canadians are accustomed to an average population density of 2 people per square Kilometer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaskins
Although I agree with Tim you need two people to lift it into the water unless you put some dolly wheels. Possibly my next job.

Chris

According to the Quicksilver website, the 340 airdeck wighs 86 lbs. Is that not accurate? Why would you need 2 people to launch it?
Old 11 August 2005, 08:15   #20

Town: Bristol
Make: QuickSilver 3.4m
Engine: Mariner Outboard 5hp
Send a message via MSN to chaskins Send a message via Yahoo to chaskins
Quote:
Interesting. It must have a little bigger interior dimensions than my 3.4m zodiac. I have had 3 adults in it, as well as 2 adults + 2 children, but I certainly wouldn't describe that as 'comfortable' (Then again, we Canadians are accustomed to an average population density of 2 people per square Kilometer)
Well there no room for dancing but everyone can sit down without sitting on each other and there is still room for bags etc. Not idea for very long journeys but then you wouldn't take a SIB on a voyage like that, I guess

Quote:
According to the Quicksilver website, the 340 airdeck wighs 86 lbs. Is that not accurate? Why would you need 2 people to launch it?
I'm talking about inflating by the water and not using a trailer.

It can easily be carried in the bag by one person. But once inflated weight is not the issue it's just a bit bulkier and difficult to carry to the water by one person. Strape the engine on and you definatly need two people