Old 12 October 2012, 05:43   #21

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Very common to see panga boats in places like Mexico, the Phillipines, etc using 90hp tiller motors. Also very common to see them running on two cylinders.
Old 12 October 2012, 22:52   #22

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes

Why not , you seem to have an idea that a tiller affords less control or ability

from your vidios you appear to be sat side by side on what looks like a bench seat ? you wouldn't cope with anything like the conditions you can holding a line with one hand and the tiller with another with your legs braced as shock absorbers .

It takes a longer to get used to a tiller i agree but in a small rib or sib its the best way for rough sea controll just watch some vids of lifeguards or the RNLI or zap cat racers .
as for cruising distance just set the friction screw and all you need is one hand resting on the tiller .
if you have a steering damper which is necessary i think for a 40 or 50 then its even easier . I use a bungee cord system from the tiller to the side of the boat and it works very well .
All depends what you're using your boat for - and when.

On one of those videos it was dark and -6 when we launched and dark again and -8 when we came back. There's just no way I'd be holding on to a tiller and sitting on a tube in those conditions for 20 miles with ten hours fishing in the middle.

I'd say that for endurance and safety you can't beat a quality console set-up - especially when you're also having to keep a close eye on GPS and sonar screens over long distances.

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2012, 23:02   #23

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
i would agree if you have a nice big rib with a proper consul and jockey seats , but not on small ribs and sibs . If its cold i often sit down on the deck you only need one hand on the tiller and i often swap sides and hold the tiller with the other hand if i get tired .

If its calm with the steering damper system i have made up you can let go of the tiller .

i must say i wish i was catching some fish like you are in that vid . i never was very good at fishing ,but this year we have had 6 small mackerel all year .
Old 19 February 2013, 03:49   #24

Town: Victoria
Engine: Outboard
Does anyone have a 14'9" Futura MKIII? I'm wondering if the transom is wide enough to fit a 40 hp yamaha and a 2.2 hp kicker? The specs say the transom is 2'11", and the pictures I can find on the internet aren't very clear, from what I can see the transom seems to have some odd geometry.
Old 19 February 2013, 19:41   #25

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
"from what I can see the transom seems to have some odd geometry"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Futura MK2.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	76824  
Old 20 February 2013, 12:37   #26

Town: Victoria
Engine: Outboard
Thanks, I don't think I could fit a kicker on that.
Old 03 March 2013, 19:58   #27

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm_gl View Post
Does anyone have a 14'9" Futura MKIII? I'm wondering if the transom is wide enough to fit a 40 hp yamaha and a 2.2 hp kicker? The specs say the transom is 2'11", and the pictures I can find on the internet aren't very clear, from what I can see the transom seems to have some odd geometry.
Here's mine, Futura Mk III w. 40.