Old 12 December 2009, 11:27   #1

Town: Phuket
Boat name: Too many to list...
Make: Steppa/Grand/Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamahas - love em!
Advice on old Avon SIB needed!

Hi all - Great site, loads of useful info and some awesome SIBs/RIBs...

I'm after some help with my latest freebie project - not a RIB but a 30 something Avon Sportboat. She's a bit tatty, got a few patches and one tube is leaking air but she was free so I couldn't resist!

I'd like to get her fixed up and seaworthy ASAP for some beach launch fishing with my Dad.
I'd really appreciate any advice/ help on offer, this is the 1st SIB I've had since our family Zodiac when I was a kid:

1. I need some patches - Are these boats Hypalon or PVC? Any suggestions RE: solvents/ glues.

2. I need to make up a new deck/ floor-boards. Does anyone know where I could get dimensions/ drawings for this? I was planning to use fibre/ foam-board rather than marine-ply - it's really cheap here, strong and light.

Does anyone know how the front cross-board works, above or below boards. I'm guessing the boards slip under the ledge on the transom and then under the front board?

3. Engine. I'm thinking 8/ 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke - something light enough to chuck in the boot and carry down the beach. Any suggestions welcome - light but powerful enough to get the old Avon moving!

4. I'd like to coat the fabric with some sort of sealant for a bit of added protection for the aging tubes! There's also a small seam leak underneath - Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help with this...

Oh and here's some pics of her in all her glory
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00562.JPG
Views:	681
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	48056   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00563.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	48057   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00564.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	48058   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00565.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	48059  
Old 12 December 2009, 15:00   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Hi Jon & welcome- a true classic AVON you have there. I have no experience of the boards but do a search & a few threads will come up as others have re-made them from ply or Aluminium for these boats.

I 'think' all the avon boats are hypalon - so you should be fine to stick on extra patches easily enough. I'd take off any 'old' or suspect/ leaking ones and clean up the area & stick new ones on. Likewise with the seam - if its a tape pull it back, clean & glue back on . Then maybe a patch over that to be sure !

Engine wise a 15 sounds ideal - light enough , but with enough get & go to have some fun !

Oh and you can paint the tubes with hypalon paint, but its a split decision - some like it , others dont ! If the tubes are holding air (after the patches etc) I'd be in the dont paint it camp ! Maybe a lick of varnish on the transom may be worth while ?

I expect the experts on these SIBS will be along soon with links etc . I think you may be able to tell the age form the serial number - or a call to AVON and they may tell you , but I'd got for closer to 20 than 30 .

Edit - I see you have a sneaky RIB hiding in the photo too !
Old 12 December 2009, 19:06   #3

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Tubes will be hypalon. I'd clean the tubes rather than painting them, you can add a sealent to the inside of the tubes although I have never used it myself.

The front board usuall goes under the bow board.
Old 12 December 2009, 20:45   #4

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
There is some info here:

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31138

The S300 will be fundamentally the same, just slightly larger.

Cheers

Chris
Old 13 December 2009, 01:55   #5

Thanks for the help guys, some really useful threads on here. I'm off to buy some hypalon patches, glue and some sort of board for the deck. I'm going to start searching for a cheap outboard too - There's a yachtie here offering a 5hp yamaha really cheap but I reckon it's probably a bit on the small side? I'd prefer to have a bit of punch to get out of trouble if necessary.

The transom seems solid enough - a sand, lick of varnish and it should be fine. I left her pumped up and over night and she's held air in all but one tube. I also filled her with water (the bath tub test!) - there's a tiny leak on one seam, but she's held most of it! Today some TLC and patches!

Yeah, well spotted Blackroady - I picked her up about 3 years ago, bare boat demonstrator for about a thousand quid. Since then I've added the 25hp yammie (tweaked up for fun!), a custom seat (washed up on beach and recovered!) and a basic steering console. Never heard of Grand inflatables before but I've got to say the build quality seems pretty good. She's not a serious offshore performer and hardly deep V but goes like the clappers and spends more time in the air than the water! Clocked 38mph on a hand-held GPS while clinging on for dear life. She has got me hooked on RIBs and a trade in for something larger is on the cards when funds allow....

...but for now the Avon has my attention - I love the idea of being able to throw her in the boot and launch anywhere! I was chatting to the former owner last night over a few jars -She's got a great history. He's an ex-squadie (in his 70s!) and this SIB has been everywhere with him - Europe, South America, Middle East, Asia - you name it, she's been there! He's not sure how old she is but reckons she's probably got a few years on me - be great to get her back to her former glory... Thanks again, sorry for the waffle!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00567.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	48067   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00568.JPG
Views:	598
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	48068  
Old 13 December 2009, 09:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflatable Jon View Post
I'm going to start searching for a cheap outboard too - There's a yachtie here offering a 5hp yamaha really cheap but I reckon it's probably a bit on the small side? I'd prefer to have a bit of punch to get out of trouble if necessary.
I think 5HP will be too small - I would suggest a minimum of a 9.9HP, ideally a 15HP or maybe a bit more would give you the best balance of performance and weight.

Cheers

Chris
Old 13 December 2009, 18:19   #7

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Hello Inflatable John

A big favor if possible, see you have a rib, need to install a Yamaha 60 HP engine on a 530 rib, would it be possible to post some pics of the hardware needed from remote steering cable shaft to engine. That is pics shot from seat towards transom, if close ups, the better. Do you need to use a transom cable holder ? Seems you are using one. Thanks

Happy Sibbing
Old 14 December 2009, 02:36   #8

Thanks Chris - I'm thinking the same thing, 15hp sounds about perfect but depends what I can get 2nd hand out here...

How do you find the 9.9hp? I've come across a 9.8 tohatsu which is another option... any feedback on the Tohatsu would be welcomed.

If weight wasn't a factor I'd strip the yam25hp and steering off the RIB and stick it on the Avon - I'm sure she'd fly with that setup!

Loco - I'll try to get you some pics tonight, if not tomorrow - It's a bit mental at work at the moment!

Struck out on both patches and boards yesterday (Sunday very much a day of hangovers here) but did pick up a free, over-engineered baby-stroller soon to be turned into a set of launching wheels! Pics to follow soon!
Old 18 December 2009, 01:30   #9

Loco - here's a couple of pics showing the cable steering/ throttle/ gearing attachments. If you want any more info just ask - sorry it took a while to post them, hectic week here.

The steering cable isn't attached to the transom, just bolted through the outboard attachment.

Avon - Now patched, re-patched and holding air in all tubes... finally! Halfway through making new deck boards... photos to follow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1291.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	48206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1289.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	48207  
Old 18 December 2009, 14:42   #10

Hello Infltable J.

Thanks for the pics, perfect clear, had the idea, needed the details, last issue, is Yamaha suposed to include hardware items 1-2-3 (enlarge attached pic) with the purchase of this engine or must be bought separately as a kit, please advise, thanks.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yamaha Accesories.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	48232  
Old 18 December 2009, 22:05   #11

Quote:
Thanks Chris - I'm thinking the same thing, 15hp sounds about perfect but depends what I can get 2nd hand out here...

How do you find the 9.9hp? I've come across a 9.8 tohatsu which is another option... any feedback on the Tohatsu would be welcomed.
Before I got my current SIB I had an Avon S250 (70cm shorter and 15kg less than your S300). With the 9.9HP and 2 onboard it would plane quite happily.

My current SIB is a quite a bit heavier than yours. It would still plane 2 up with the 9.9HP, but it took a good few seconds to get on the plane.

Now with 15HP, it is noticeably quicker to plane.

I don't have any experience of the Tohatsu 9.8HP, but a browse of the forum would indicate that they are well thought of.

Cheers

Chris
Old 19 December 2009, 04:27   #12

Loco - All these items were bought seperately from the the engine itself.

Over here Yamaha do a kit, which comprises the throttle/ gearing control (complete with key/ ignition etc - not used on mine as it is a manual start with no power trim/ tilt) and mounting kit for the engine. They also do another kit comprising the steering cable and engine attachments.

Worth noting I also had to modify the internals of the engine slightly - shaving a small piece of metal off to allow the throttle to open up fully from the cable - this is probably not necessary if the engine is intended for remote control.

I never intended to mount steering on such a small RIB but I found it a bit hairy at full throttle on full lock on the tiller (necessary to dislodge passengers from the ringo!) - a few high speed ejections from the boat convinced me that the way I drive console steering is a must!

Chris - I'm leaning towards something around the 8-10hp range, thinking forward to buying a bigger RIB it would make a handy Aux - 15hp probably a bit on the large size. That and given the age of the Avon, I don't want to over stress her!

The RIB can be the pocket rocket while the Avon is going to be a more practical, fishing/ light diving/ snorkelling craft...
Old 19 December 2009, 08:15   #13

Quote:
Chris - I'm leaning towards something around the 8-10hp range, thinking forward to buying a bigger RIB it would make a handy Aux - 15hp probably a bit on the large size. That and given the age of the Avon, I don't want to over stress her!
Sounds like a good plan

Cheers

Chris
Old 19 December 2009, 16:27   #14

Hi Inflatable J.

The hardware to secure steering cable to engine comes in the Yam 60 HP kit, as it's a remote version, so ok with this issue. You were inquirining about Tohatsu 9.8, this engine is completely different as the 9.9 model, wether 2 or 4 strokes versions, don't have an opinion on 4 strokes, as we only sell 2 strokers models which are excellent.

Happy Sibbing
Old 23 December 2009, 10:09   #15

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Loco,

There's a good chance your throttle & gear cables on the 60 will go through the front of the case & attatch to the linkage under the hood.

The external fixings were a bit of a historical thing on the "in between" sizes - i,e Horsepowers that were big enough to sometimes need remote, but could also be used on tiller. (e.g my 1972 Johnson 25)

These days there tends to be a removable panel on the front that is replaced by a giant rubber grommet that takes cables & wiring.

I-J.
Just a thought, but if you are out fishing, the wee 5Hp might be a good trolling / spare engine? - Assuming you get an old premix 2- stroke, it won't like idling for too long before it oils up.
Old 08 January 2010, 21:19   #16

Town: mexico
Make: avon
Engine: 15 hp mariner 2 s
Hello

your avon must to be an 70 model or maybe older i own the s400 (a little biger than yours)1969 and have the same old avon logos about the motor i use the 15 hp mariner and she runs well, i think the weight of the 9.9 and the 15 are almost the same i recomend to you the 15 hp, all avon are hypalon made, to patch mine i have use the weaver two parts adhesive (its the onlyone i can find where i live). about the boards i post the picture of the 4 boards and the 2 side battens needed to complete the floor, i will send to you as soon as possible the instructions to assambly.

cheers
Sant