Old 23 June 2009, 21:28   #1

Town: Watford
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Advice on everything.

Hi All, I have just purchased a Zodiac 285FR and would like any info and advice on getting up and running on the rivers and coastline. I have yet to buy an outboard for it and would like some advice on what to go for. I plan to use the SIB with my partner and two young kids with days out on the rivers. Also I would like an outboard powerful enough to use around the coastline. I don't plan to take the kids out on the sea, I will be going out there with my brother and mates. So you can guess I would like something fast!!. Could anyone recommend a suitable and reliable motor for this.

I am totally new to all this and would like as much help and advice on everything if possible.

Are there any rules or regulations on launching a SIB on a river etc. Can they be launched anywhere there is public access.

Are there any boat jumbles or shows coming up soon where I might be able to pick up a good second hand outboard?.

Many thanks in advance, I hope someone can help me out, I'm gagging to get out on the water..
Old 23 June 2009, 22:14   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
before anything i would get some basic boat esentials ,an anchor and a couple of meters of chain , 30 metres of line or 5 times the depth of water you will be operating in ,a small bucket or bailer, you could even keep the anchor and line in it ,and a decent set of oars or paddles ,and thats just the very basic stuff,plus lifejackets for each person , if going to open water or the sea some hand flares and a whistle and torch ...most inland rivers/ canals are controled by british waterways and there is a fee to pay about £5 a day,if you get caught without its £10.or double the day fee, up to a couple of years ago max power limit for canals was 4 hp and rivers 10 hp for small craft and you cannot use locks with a day permit ,,highly unlikey in your case lol .the problem is that everyone will have rightly or wrongly a different view on what to have or should have .but even without an engine on i personaly would not use a boat without the basic stuff .
Old 24 June 2009, 20:17   #3

Thank you M Chappelow for taking the time to reply to me and thank you also for your good advice. I think I will take to the rivers first until I get the confidence to hit the coastline. I know just how dangerous the sea can become with tides etc.
My sib has a max outboard rating of 8hp (although Zodiac recommend 6hp as the max on their website), would a 6hp be powerful enough for keeping me out of trouble in the sea and are there many 6hp or 8hp outboards lighter than the 40lb max weight Zodiac have suggested for an outboard for my 285 Cadet. (I have the high pressure air floor if this should make a difference?).

Is anyone out there using the same or maybe a similar boat with a bigger engine than suggested by the manufacturer?. How unsafe would the sib be if I was to put an outboard 2 to 5hp over the max as stated by the manufacturer?. I guess there is the factor of weight but are these new four stroke motors heavier than their 2 stroke engines?.

Is there a good magazine anyone could suggest to help me out, I have looked through WHSmith and most seem to be for the bigger ribs and sport boats?.

As you can probably tell I know absolutely nothing about boating, but guess we all have to start somewhere.
Old 24 June 2009, 20:35   #4

if you contact the R.N.l.i sea safety they have a free sea safety booklet and cd that they will send out to you or most lifeboat stations will give you one ,or even go on their main web site looking under sea safety it will give you some basic advise on all matters .
Old 24 June 2009, 20:40   #5

Thank you, I will do.
Old 24 June 2009, 21:03   #6

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
re advice on everything

hi,

in addition to the good advice you have recieved on equipment I would also recommend that you consider some training where the subject of boat and personal equipment are covered, as you live in watford and are looking to start inland you could do a lot worse than contact BLYM who are operate on a lake in Rickmansworth to do a RYA level 2 powerboat course which will help you enjoy your boating a lot more.

mark
Old 24 June 2009, 21:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-f View Post
hi,

in addition to the good advice you have recieved on equipment I would also recommend that you consider some training where the subject of boat and personal equipment are covered, as you live in watford and are looking to start inland you could do a lot worse than contact BLYM who are operate on a lake in Rickmansworth to do a RYA level 2 powerboat course which will help you enjoy your boating a lot more.

mark
i agree .like learning to drive a car without proper instuction you can pick up bad habits ,get some training from the start and it will make it more fun and that bit safer .
Old 24 June 2009, 21:25   #8

Hi Mark,
Thank you, it makes sense to get some training. I know Rickmansworth well and will look into getting on one of these training courses.