RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
With your location you'd be daft not to have a VHF and flares. No legislation saying so though.
Nos is correct. He has also wrote a very good beginners guide here.

Where are you planning to take it (e.g. if you are planning Loch Lomond a VHF will be less value than the Forth - since no one is listening except other boats who happen to have a VHF (which is not that many on the Loch).

There is a piece of safety kit on your boat that beginners (and sometimes more experienced people) often ignore. Its the red springy cord. Make sure you use it.

I would suggest that you try to get some training asap. Locally both Ian Wilson (seaskills on here) and Greg at Seaforce (speedy on here) post here and can provide training. I have no direct experience of Ian, yet, but he seems to be well set up. Port Edgar can also do it cheaper but a bit mass produced for my liking.

Where are you planning to take it?
Old 01 July 2008, 18:56   #13

Town: Bathgate
Boat name: Caseydun
Make: Bombard
Engine: 25hp 2 stroke Yamaha
Hi Polwart

Thanks for the link to Nos posting which gives advice to beginners, there is some very useful info in there for my friend and I.

Initially got interested in the purchase of a boat after a trip to Loch Etive recently, walked along the shore up as far as Cadderlie. To be travelling by boat seemed so much more attractive - granted the water was like a mirror at the time.

Planning on a trip at the end of this month launching from either of the jetties at Inverailort or Glenuig to explore the Ardnish coastline. Can you tell me if a permit will be required to use either of these?
Old 01 July 2008, 19:54   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmundi View Post
Hi Polwart

Thanks for the link to Nos posting which gives advice to beginners, there is some very useful info in there for my friend and I.

Initially got interested in the purchase of a boat after a trip to Loch Etive recently, walked along the shore up as far as Cadderlie. To be travelling by boat seemed so much more attractive - granted the water was like a mirror at the time.

Planning on a trip at the end of this month launching from either of the jetties at Inverailort or Glenuig to explore the Ardnish coastline. Can you tell me if a permit will be required to use either of these?
Rex - I've not done any boating on Loch Ailort but it is an amazing area. I spent a new year there last year. I don't remember a slipway in Inverailort itself (but I may have missed it). There was a slip at the Glenuig hotel. No idea who owns it. If it is the hotel then you might need (or want) to buy a pint! but you can probably launch your SIB on the beach anyway.

There was another slipway on the south shore which looked like it belonged to the fish farms.

Whilst I would love to do some boating here (and my boats a similar size to yours - even if not as floppy!) it would not be my choice for my first ever trip in a boat. Here's why not:

(1) its a long way - so you will feel obliged to go out even if the sea is dodgy because you just spend 3-4 hours driving.
(2) its a long way from a chandler when you realise you left behind some silly little part.
(3) there won't be many folks about if you do have a problem
(4) I suspect VHF coverage from a h/held to the CG will not be great
(5) mobile phone coverage is patchy at best

If you are going out in Lochailort - I would strongly suggest you need to be completely equipped, i.e. flares, anchor, vhf radio, mobile phone, paddles/oars, tools, spare fuel, etc etc etc.

Edit: oh and no a "permit" is not required to use your boat in the sea anywhere in scotland as far as I know. Some slipways do charge for the facility though.
Old 02 July 2008, 07:43   #15

Thanks for that Polwart. I've walked around the coastline up there a few times but have always wanted to boat around the area. If it's easier to launch from the beach when we get there will go for that option.

You have given good advice with regards this being our first trip, lack of experience etc and it has prompted us to arrange to take the boat down to the Forth to set up and take a trial run before embarking on the trip up north. I think this will allow us a bit of experience in the set-up, starting the engine etc and give us a bit of much needed confidence also.

Definately will invest in getting a decent hand-held VHF and a set of flares as well as the lifejackets.

Prior to leaving for the trip I will want to check a marine forecast, I'm just off now to search the forum for the best web-site to obtain a decent forecast.

Will post some photos and let you know how we get on.
Old 23 September 2008, 13:27   #16

The maiden voyage

Just coming back to let you know we had a very successful trip over Loch Ailort landing at Peanmeanach last month. We were extremely lucky with the weather and I won't forget sailing off towards the sunset that evening! Did a bit of exploring along the coast-line the following day also. Here is a link to the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30775197@N06/

Thanks for all your help and advice, it was much appreciated.