Old 19 January 2014, 08:40   #1

Length: 3m +
Advice needed urgently!

Hi all

I currently own an 18ft fishing boat with a 75hp etec on the back, but I've decided to sell as I want to try inflatable boat fishing.

I also own a kayak, but this was a bit too awkward to fish from, so here I am!

I've just purchased a honda bf15d short shaft, and now need a sib to use it with. I know you should usually get an engine to suit your boat but it was a good deal and I didn't want to miss it.

Ok so I've spent many hours looking at inflatables (this site is definitely the best for info) and I'm going round in circles trying to decide what to get.

I want a boat that will take me and sometimes a friend out inshore fishing. It must be robust enough to cope with a moderate sea, but easy enough for me to handle on my own. I'm 35 and pretty fit so should be ok in this aspect.

I like the look of the honwave t38, with inflatable floor, but am open to any advice/suggestions you can offer. I also heard good things about the aerotec 380, but to me there doesn't seem to be much deck space, maybe I'm wrong?

Ill be beach launching, could transport on a roof rack if needed, but would prefer an easy set up craft I could inflate and deflate each trip.

I'm in Clacton on Sea, and will be launching from the Martello Bay Area if any of you know it.

Please help me make my mind up!

Many thanks everyone.
Old 19 January 2014, 08:52   #2

Town: Newcastle emlyn
Boat name: Bass nymph
Make: honwave 3.5
Engine: 15hp parsun 4 stroke
Inflatable

Sounds to me like you have done your homework well. The two sibs you mention are the best to go with your engine if you intend inflating and deflating each time. The honwave being the cheaper option but from general opinion the latter being better. I have the honwave t35ae with ally floor. Is great but I trailer it as it's a pain to inflate and assemble. I also gave a 15 hp wich gives good performance on a heavier sib than the two you mentioned. Good luck
Old 19 January 2014, 09:22   #3

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
I owned the Aerotec 380/Yam 15hp, this proved to be a perfect match.

The inflatable 'V' shaped hull enabled quick stable planing, and at 43kg for the boat and 38kg for the engine was manageable it terms of transporting.

Half an hour to set up at the beach and the same to pack down proved to be a pain in the arse to be honest which is why i eventually got a trailer. But dont be put off by this, as the boat and engine when packed down will fit in the back of most cars.

Me and my 2 teenage boys aboard where up on the plane in no time, heading to our fishing grounds, a snug fit on board but never affected a fun packed days fishing
Old 19 January 2014, 09:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deekus View Post

Half an hour to set up at the beach and the same to pack down proved to be a pain in the arse to be honest which is why i eventually got a trailer. But dont be put off by this, as the boat and engine when packed down will fit in the back of most cars.
:
I live 2 minutes from the beach, and have a big driveway, so might even consider the trailer option. Where I want to launch, I have to lift the boat over a low wall, hence wanting nothing too heavy I can't lift it.
Old 19 January 2014, 10:09   #5

Hope this don't sound too silly but my head is saying honwave (big dealer half an hour away) but heart is screaming aerotec!
Old 19 January 2014, 13:25   #6

Inflatable

Shame about the lift over a wall because if you are considering a trailer then I would recommend the ally floor honwave as it makes a very rigid and stable platform to fish from which equals more comfort which equals more fishing time. To be honest I would think that any package would be a struggle lifting over a wall on your own! And may end up causing damage. My honwave t35ae cost me 800 pounds brand new. I got an indespension vario trailer with bunks which cost me 150 pounds and the whole lot is a doddle to launch even on sand beaches. Good luck whatever you get and enjoy the fishing.
Old 19 January 2014, 13:57   #7
Rop

Boat name: Blacktip
Make: Osprey
Engine: Outboard
Hi Crooty,

As you can read, inflating each time gets annoying quickly. I would suggest rectractable beachwheels and a trailer. Keep it inflated, drive up to the beach with your car, get it of trailer (dry) on to the beach wheels and pull it over the little wall. If this doesn't work with engine, get te boat over the wall, then put the engine on.

Retractables have a big advantage, you take them with you so you don't have a small hand trailer which you have to leave behind on the beach or bring back to the car. In that case you have the best of both worlds...

For the idea, have a look at beachmaster website, or simular. No experience with this company, looks decent. Boats to go has simular stuff, lots of companies sell them, not to difficult to make them yourself either...

Beach wheel demo
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Even found how they get them on to a trailer
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 19 January 2014, 16:20   #8

If I went the trailer route, and launched from an area where I didn't have to lift the boat, would it be advisable to choose an Ali floor over an airdeck? I just like the idea of the airdeck, main reasons are no Ali bars/panels rubbing against the tubes, and it just sounds more comfortable to sit on!

I can get a honwave t40 for £975, would have loads of space then? Or am I going to regret it when I have to drag it up the beach etc?

One other question, if I decided to get an aerotec 380, I'd buy new as I can't find any secondhand ones. Would it last me many years if I use it for occasional fishing?
Old 19 January 2014, 16:43   #9

Inflatable

T40 would be even slower with a 10 hp and much heavier to handle than the t35. As for ally deck, it has stringers down the sides to hold deck in place so no problem rubbing. About space, I regularly go out for 12 hour bass fishing trips with a friend and all our gear and are very comfortable, if I were to add another person it would be a cramp. You are asking all the same questions as me prior to buying, my advice would be to go and view the sibs your interested in if you can . I have seen them and in my opinion the aero tec is a better boat but not enough to warrant the extra cost and the ally deck is a real bonus for fishing as it makes the sib far more rigid and I am able to stand and cast and work lures in most conditions other than very choppy. I wouldn't bother going bigger unless you intend to get much bigger engine and in my opinion if your upto 4 metres and a trailer you may as well get a proper rib or hard boat. Hope my experience in this area helps you come to a decision, all that matters in the end is that you are pleased with your purchase.
Old 19 January 2014, 17:21   #10
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooty78 View Post
One other question, if I decided to get an aerotec 380, I'd buy new as I can't find any secondhand ones.
I've got one for sale

http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/bombard...0-a-59119.html
Old 19 January 2014, 17:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Hi john, very interested in your aerotec. Obviously I'm a tad concerned about the repairs, as I'm going out to sea. How big and how many repairs are there? And excuse my ignorance, but are these like a patch over a puncture type repair?
Old 19 January 2014, 19:13   #12

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
aerotec every time.. the deep V floor not only gives you a better ride but also deck remains mostly dry as any water inside runs away to the bottom. saves you sliding around on your knees in Fish guts and slime!
Also Honwave are made by Sun Inflatables in China.. not sure i would want to go to sea with that in mind..
7 mins from 1 to pic 2! they are awesome little boats and very capable when the weather turns on you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	89384   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	89385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0812_2.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	89387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0820.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	89390   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0799_2.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	89391  

Old 19 January 2014, 19:17   #13

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
aerotec every time.. the deep V floor not only gives you a better ride but also deck remains mostly dry as any water inside runs away to the bottom. saves you sliding around on your knees in Fish guts and slime!
Also Honwave are made by Sun Inflatables in China.. not sure i would want to go to sea with that in mind
What monkey Matt said...

My 380 has repairs (I think from hitting something on a sib club outing). I'd trust it over lots of other boats.

I'm sure the honwave is wider and heavier. More of a platform to work from and less off a v in the hull.
Old 19 January 2014, 19:50   #14

Ok so I've looked up Paul Tilley, and now have total confidence in the repairs. Are you open to an offer or is the price fixed? Pm me please John Kennett lets do a deal ;-)
Old 20 January 2014, 05:42   #15
Administrator

Town: Brighton
PM sent
Old 21 January 2014, 20:10   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rop View Post
Hi Crooty,

As you can read, inflating each time gets annoying quickly. I would suggest rectractable beachwheels and a trailer. Keep it inflated, drive up to the beach with your car, get it of trailer (dry) on to the beach wheels and pull it over the little wall. If this doesn't work with engine, get te boat over the wall, then put the engine

This is what I think I'm going to do. I will take an old bit of carpet or something to lay over the wall, slide the boat over, and attach engine the other side.

I'm swaying towards the honwave t38 airdeck. I have been offered a zodiac futura mk2 c for £1500 but think it's too big for my engine.
Old 21 January 2014, 21:09   #17

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooty78 View Post

I'm swaying towards the honwave t38 airdeck. I have been offered a zodiac futura mk2 c for £1500 but think it's too big for my engine.
I had a Zodiac Mk2 fastroller last year, tried it with a 15hp and was pleasantly surprised. It went really well and I ended up using the 15 nearly as much as the 25.

I have had a Honwave V airdeck as well, great boat boat and would buy another, but I think the futura planed more easily.
Old 15 February 2014, 15:53   #18

Hi all, I have bought myself an aerotec 380, used, no repairs, with a brand new set of launch wheels. I think this is the right way to go and will post some pics soon. Thanks for helping me make my decision.