Old 16 July 2018, 22:12   #1

Town: Dudley
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp
Advice needed

Hi all,
New member here . Just bought a honwave t38 with 20hp outboard.
I will be getting insurance,but do I need to register the sib to enter harbours particularly Poole harbour?
I understand you need a licence for rivers n canals .
Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Many thanks
Old 16 July 2018, 22:17   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
You need to check with each harbour you wish to visit... just use Google and look up their charges. It is very variable... I have just paid £80 for two weeks to use our SIB.... an estuary/harbour 30mls away was free for our size of craft!
Old 16 July 2018, 22:37   #3

Thanks for the reply. Can see the charges makes sense . What about the sib . Do I have to register it like you would a car ?
Old 16 July 2018, 23:10   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
No you can own the SIB without registration. Some places like (I think) North Wales have a requirement for a council registration that covers launching over loads of sites.

But as an example my SIB isn't registered with anyone and where I mostly launch is free with no registration requirements... and the estuary we leave from isn't harbour controlled so no paperwork/charge... and the open sea isn't regulated for smallcraft.
Old 17 July 2018, 06:17   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
As above totally depends where you go - some are free for small craft, some free for say a two hour visit, some free if you come in for a splash of fuel etc...
Old 17 July 2018, 07:34   #6

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Inland waters in the UK, you generally need to licence the boat, but not register it. Part of the licence conditions includes having insurance. It is possible to buy short term licences for a day or a week, or longer term.

Windermere, you need to register any powered boat. There is a fee and you have to show the registration number on a board.

Anglesey/parts of North Wales, you need to register the boat and pay a fee.

There may be other similar arrangements elsewhere.

As for launching, there are free slips around much of the country. In other cases, you may need to pay a launch fee to use the slip. In some cases, particularly harbours and marinas, they may ask for proof of insurance.

I believe that in some specific areas (parts of the Norfolk coast?) you need to carry specific safety equipment including flares if you use a local authority slip.

However, in the UK, there is no general requirement to register a boat in the same way as you register a car.
Old 17 July 2018, 08:11   #7

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Anglesey/parts of North Wales, you need to register the boat and pay a fee.
I think this applies to launching across, or otherwise accessing, council owned coastal land. We get a tractor launch across a private slip near Caernarfon without registration. It may be that beaching on a council owned beach should require registration but we've never yet been asked for one.
Old 17 July 2018, 08:38   #8

Thanks for the advice guys. Makes it much easier. Been googling about all this and you don't get a clear answer.
Old 17 July 2018, 08:39   #9

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Poole Harbour has harbour dues technically payable by all craft using the harbour, with a few exceptions here: Poole Harbour Commissioners .

If you use the council slip at Baiter Park and someone is on duty there, they may well ensure you pay harbour dues at the same time as their launching fees. Some council slips will also want proof of insurance, and/or potentially competence in boat handling (e.g RYA Lv2).

It's very hard for them to track/check harbour dues - I can safely say in 20 years of boating in Poole (and paying annual dues) I've never been asked to prove it on any of my boats, or had anyone ask to see the sticker they issue with the annual payment!
Old 17 July 2018, 19:40   #10

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
I think this applies to launching across, or otherwise accessing, council owned coastal land. We get a tractor launch across a private slip near Caernarfon without registration. It may be that beaching on a council owned beach should require registration but we've never yet been asked for one.
Yes councils control the land not the sea, we have tractor launches on a private beach in South Wales but there are registrations in force if you use some slips but not others, it’s. Alright old mess north wales is one of the best as gwenydd, Anglesey and Conwy all accept each other’s registration here they don’t....(tip Anglesey is the cheapest to register with I think)

Further west you go less controls I have registrations for northwlaes South Wales and Torquay if I went to other parts of course;try need to register there as well....

MCA SSR is National (international infact) not sure if councils will accept this or you need council and SSR?