Old 05 February 2010, 08:07   #21

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
its the leg apron/casing i was on about ,,,not the engine cover /cowl as 9d280 just pointed out .
OK!
Well, there's a lug for holding in the leg casing. But the leg is so - "organic shaped"...
Old 05 February 2010, 09:07   #22

ROOTEQ is being selled as Yamaha Trolley.
http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=131878

Rooteq trolley is also offered in Yamaha web sites.
http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/a...03/M03OE/////5
http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/I...m26-279556.pdf

I also remember reading something like "Official Yamaha offer: free Roteq Trolley with Yamaha outboard engines rated 15hp ". But I can't remember where...

So I guess there must be some kind of Yamaha-Rooteq agreement.
Old 05 February 2010, 12:29   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Sheffield
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
As soon as I test it I will post.
I'll look forward to hearing how you get on Azzurro.

Does anyone else have any experience of using a Rooteq trolley? They sound great but it would be interesting to hear how people find them in use?
Old 05 February 2010, 12:54   #24

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post

Does anyone else have any experience of using a Rooteq trolley? They sound great but it would be interesting to hear how people find them in use?
Got one...nicely made, easly adjustable for engine size...I have a Suzuki 5hp on it - 19kgs. Even then it wobbles a bit as the wheel track is quite narrow. You just learn to manage it...take it steady, all is fine
Old 05 February 2010, 18:58   #25

Quote:

Ok I did the first test - alone on my own! I'm still alive though.

Excuse my poor English, tech engine talk is too much for my level.
Get some photos of the trolley near for a better understanding.

1.- "fake transom" width is too narrow for the BF20 stern bracket. You may workaround it by turning the fake transom of the trolley upside down. Of course, I agree this is an inconvenient - but I think I can live with it.
2.- BF20 weight is balanced too backwards. That's not a problem for moving the trolley, but it may be a problem when standing. It's a pity the T-shaped support it's too short.
I tried to invert the position of the fake transom from back to front (that would move the head 6 cm forward) but the nut that fixes the fake transom hits the stern bracket.

So I guess the only solution is to modify the T-shaped support.

I believe you can get 5-6cm extra safe enough by making another hole in the T-shaped support - more cms would be too risky and may bend the square tube. I'm going to try this, I think it may be good enough.

Another possibility is to make it longer with a supplement. But that's much too specialized work for me.
Old 10 February 2010, 08:25   #26

Hi all.

I 've made a cheap and easy extension to the Rooteq trolley which I expect will fit my BF20 Honda short shaft (not tested yet). You do not need soldierings with this. The trolley stays almost same foldable after the changes.

I used the following parts.

For extending the horizontal bar:
1 square iron tube 2.5x2.5cm 11cm length (to fit it into the main vertical bar).
1 square iron tube 2x2cm 22cm length (to fix both the horizontal tube and the 11 cm tube).
You get an extra 10 cm length which I expect will be enough for the BF20 backwards balance weight.

For extending the T-shaped support:
2 square iron tubes 3x3cm 10cm length .
You will get and extra 10 cm width which will help with stability when servicing the engine.

All tubes are 2mm iron thick.

Also:
You must remove the plastic stoppers from the horizontal tube and T-shaped support tube.
You have to use a file to iron out the tube borders and bolt holes in tubes. And maybe some hammering to get the tubes inside.
Of course it's also a good idea to use some bolts and nuts to make it stronger. But be careful with the T-shape extensions: if the trolley rests on the bolts, your work is useless. It must rest on the plain surface tube.
Maybe some paint to protect the tubes. If possible, paint as much as you can (also inside tubes), but beware that painted tubes may not fit (I wish I could have get zinc galvanized tubes such as the Rooteq trolley has).

I wish Rooteq could sell some materials to extend the trolley ease and safely. It's not so complicated. I think that any 15hp-20hp 4-stroke may benefit from this. Otherwise engine portability is a joke.

As soon as tested I will post (I need some friend to help me, I'd rather not load the engine alone on my own).

Anyways I wish I had come across another cart before. You can get this one in Amazon and Discount Ramps.

http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Outboa.../dp/B000XWH3G4

Here is a photo with dimensions:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...0L._AA280_.jpg
Old 26 February 2010, 06:56   #27

This ones's for AndyC.

Well I made the changes to Rooteq outboard trolley and now it's fine. I've galvanized the iron square tubes for protection.
And the result is this:
- 11 cm longer
- 12 cm wider
- stern bracket support upside down to make it wider.

Total: square tubes 4 euros, galvanized protection 10 euros, screws and all of that 10 euros.
You need an screwdriver for folding/unfolding but it does not take long. Now it does work for Honda BF20 4-stroke 46,5 kg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0211.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	49408   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0212.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	49409   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0213.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	49410  
Old 26 February 2010, 12:26   #28

Town: Havre de Grace, MD
Boat name: SD430
Make: Saturn
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25hp 2 stroke Merc
Send a message via ICQ to 1ThOFA87
What a bunch of manly brutes on this thread!!! I took the easy way out and store my 14 ft SIB on a trailer in the garage with the engine mounted. I've done this for 4 years now and only took it off once to clean and paint the engine. I almost broke my back doing that and I don't plan on taking it off again without a second person. As a matter of fact, I need to deflate my SIB to glue on some oarlocks and have been putting it off for a year now because I don't want to move that engine!!!
Old 26 February 2010, 15:34   #29
RIBnet supporter

Town: Sheffield
Thanks for posting the notes and pictures azzurro, interesting stuff.

What other trolleys are people using for similar weight engines?
Does anything exist that will handle 46kg, fold flat for transporting and is available in Europe??
Old 27 February 2010, 16:14   #30

Town: manchester
Boat name: rib tickler
Make: ribeye 650s
Length: 6m +
Engine: yami 150
MMSI: 235072416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
If you could fit transom wheels to your dinghy (this isn't possible on all Honwaves), then you could hang the motor on the transom and 'barrow' it to the shore.
spot on

i had a 3.8 zodiac with speed tubes and a 25hp 2 stroke on the back.
the best way for me to move the engine about was pump the boat up. fit the transom wheels . then fit the motor on the transom. the boat was very light with the engine on the back.and easy to turn and move about.
also using this method i only had 1 trip to make down the beach and back to were i was parked.
as for lifting the engine out of my car the method was easy when someone took hold of the skeg this counter balanced the weight when i was holding the engine end.

small inflatables are great like the one my boys have. but when you start using bigger inflatables boats with 20/25hp engines on the back it all starts becoming heavy and hard work setting up.
from a personel point of view large inflatables start to become hard work unless used with a trailer. but then you start to wonder if a 4.5m rib is more practical??
Old 04 June 2010, 10:34   #31

Town: tonbridge
Make: excel
Engine: honda 8
Quote:

i have honda bf8 short and use rooteq trolley.great formoving to and from car etc folds away easily and with handle off or down is good for storage/service work.with 2 people it is easy to tilt and lift up steps or in/out of van etc.have yet to try it on sand/shingle beach.