Old 02 February 2010, 11:49   #1

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Advice handling 46Kg engine

Hello everybody, this is my first post - though I have been reading this forum for a while.

I'm just new to boats, in fact mine is still "in the box".

I've just purchased a Honda BF20 Short shaft engine, 4-stroke. It did look like a good idea for my also new HonWave 4m. Aluminum floor, when I decided it ( I must say I read this forum a lot before that).

It's 46Kg (102 lb), manual start, no power tilt. That's the heaviest engine I thought was somehow portable. I also read a review on the Internet about portability for such weight, but decided to go on for it.

Now it's here and I must handle that weight.

I do not expect to make it travel a lot, as it will rest at home by the sea. I also purchased a Rooteq trolley which looks great.

But even though all of this, there is some time when you have to load the engine with your hands: from the box to the trolley, from my trolley to the car, from my car to the trolley, and whenever I get to the sea, from the trolley to the transom and back to the trolley...fortunatelly I will moore it at the beach during summertime, so I also purchased a lock - but that story will be in another post.

Before breaking my back or, what's worse, breaking the engine before having used it, I'm looking for some advice to handle that weight. I mean:
- way to handle, place to hold?
- 2 people?
- harness?

I also accept lol and flying cakes.
Old 02 February 2010, 12:27   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Firstly, welcome to ribnet!

That's a fair lump to move around - I would suggest 2 people is a good start. Getting in / out the car, if you get a suitable bit of wood, make sure the reverse lock is on, then it can be hooked under the clamps (you might need to screw them fully in to make the hook) and then 2 people can lift it out. The balance point is usually around there.

That's how we get an old Johnson 25 to a Dory, but it has thr advantage that once the engine is on the trolley, the transom sits high enough off the ground that we can "scoop" the engine onto the transom by lifting the bow so the transom drops, we spin the engine on it's skeg (sat on a bit of wood) and use the boat on it's trailer to hang it.
Old 02 February 2010, 12:31   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I can just about handle one of those on my own, but it doesn't make any sense to operate on your limit when it's a lot easier with 2 especially if your helper is stronger. We used to carry our engine in the boot of the car wrapped in a duvet which we then draped over the boot sill to protect the engine and car. the wood idea mentioned above makes sense

i'd also think about using a sack truck for the distance part of the handling, it's a lot easier

I wouldn't recomend any form of manual handling using a harness, It will put all sorts of strains in the wrong places

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-8...117461&sr=1-12
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2010, 14:22   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
I can just about handle one of those on my own, but it doesn't make any sense to operate on your limit when it's a lot easier with 2 especially if your helper is stronger.
Stu is not surprisingly a little bit stronger than me... my engine is 48 kg and whilst I could just manage to get it from the floor to the transmon (using a similar approach to 9d280) I couldn't get it out the car on my own without probably rupturing something. Its not the weight thats the issue, its the weight distribution/balance and getting a grip of it that really means its a 2 man job.
Old 02 February 2010, 15:35   #5

I'll second Polwart on the shape thing, having manoevered a 60Hp into the back of my car single handed last year I nearly killed myself. a suitable plank can help to get it out the boot by allowing the gearbox / skeg to slide down to ground / trolley level. Also new engines tend to be more "organically" shaped, so no handy corners to grip at convenient locations.

My Johnson 25 is about 37Kg, and being a longshaft, the underside of the case is at a reasonably sensible height. it can, once made vertical, be "hugged" and shuffled short distances, but the gear lever, tiller etc poking out make it a right ***** to move any distance andd you can guarantee either a bruise or a ripped item of clothing form the cable anchors (proper oldschool exteriaor connections!) . We modified a sack barrow with a bit of transom simulating wood bolted to it to get it to the beach, which also conveniently takes the fuel tank!

Another option we may have all missed - is a trailer for the boat an option?
Old 02 February 2010, 15:49   #6

Never expected such fast replies, you're wonderful!

Yep, the balance is a point. Mine is short shaft, so the handle placed beside the clamps makes the engine upside down and that's why I thought about a harness. Even though I agree: the engine top is a plastic one, not intended for holding. Pulling the shaft is almost useless, as it stands up, but somehow I may be getting an extra-less 10 kg by that. I mean, holding the shaft as close to the handle. When holding too far, I would get even a worse effect.

Can I stand it on the propeller protector? I mean, once the head is on the top, using a soft surface to stand it or so (I'd better not think about that on home floor, my wife may stare too rude for me) and just for a while till I get it on the trolley.

Funny thinking about balancing the boat to fit the clamps from the trolley, never thought about it. It does not seem weird at all, man. I guess it depends on the trolley height, floor, and whatever. But if I fix the tilt up, as the transom gets back straight, the engine will too - so no trouble with hitting the ground. Easy with a protector roll down the hull.

I agree car trunks are too narrow. I mean, it's easy to load a package from surface, but not to retrieve it from a bottom pit. Maybe using a "suitable bit of wood" and blocking the clamps: that's another top hit.

Duvets or similar is also smart. The engine is protected, you get the engine from a higher height from the trunk, and you can slide your hand between engine and duvet to pull up. I'll take a look at that.

Thank you all, I was looking forward just liniment recipies and laughs.
Old 02 February 2010, 19:08   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
A thought (and I have not tried this )

Make a "transport cradle" for the motor, perhaps a wide plank or board with a dummy transom and a strap to secure the leg. Fit as many handholds and mini wheels/rollers as you like. You can then simply slide, lever, pivot and haul the whole thing out and roll it away. A purpose built trolley might be better, with the wheels tucked below the skeg and fold out handles. Either way - you don't need to lift the damn thing or wrestle an unsecured motor.
Old 02 February 2010, 19:26   #8

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
If you could fit transom wheels to your dinghy (this isn't possible on all Honwaves), then you could hang the motor on the transom and 'barrow' it to the shore.
Old 03 February 2010, 18:50   #9

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Dont forget if your engine is a four stroke,, most can only be layed down in a certain way though it will usually have a sticker saying which way ,,not the end of the world,, but saves your car boot having a pool of oil in it and then having to refill the outboard back up ,,,if you do use a sack truck to move it about, one with a wide wheel base is better with a top heavy outboard for uneven ground .,,,if i am moving my engine about in the car a lot i remove the plastic apron/casing on my tohatsu at least then i can then get a better hold of it ,its only a 30 second job .
Old 03 February 2010, 19:16   #10

Make: XS // Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
It must just be me that can carry our Merc 15hp four strokes one handed and load it in the back of our land rover? although people do seem to look at me strangly when I do that.

Old 03 February 2010, 20:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
It must just be me that can carry our Merc 15hp four strokes one handed and load it in the back of our land rover? although people do seem to look at me strangly when I do that.

Only 36kg, with a carry handle too - piece of pi$$
Old 03 February 2010, 20:09   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:

Nope.

I brought a 25hp Johnson home in the cab of a Volvo Globetrotter. Climbed into the cab with it in one hand.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2010, 20:16   #13

Make: XS // Delta
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Only 36kg, with a carry handle too - piece of pi$$
?????

Dry Weight (kg.) 52
Old 03 February 2010, 20:24   #14

Quote:
?????

Dry Weight (kg.) 52
Sorry, I was thinking of the 15hp, 2-stroke, which is light as a feather. A 52kg 4-stroke - that's more like it.

Where's Jono anyway? He's known to carry a V6 Opti under each arm.
Old 04 February 2010, 07:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Dont forget if your engine is a four stroke,, most can only be layed down in a certain way though it will usually have a sticker saying which way ,,not the end of the world,, but saves your car boot having a pool of oil in it and then having to refill the outboard back up ,,,if you do use a sack truck to move it about, one with a wide wheel base is better with a top heavy outboard for uneven ground .,,,if i am moving my engine about in the car a lot i remove the plastic apron/casing on my tohatsu at least then i can then get a better hold of it ,its only a 30 second job .
Good! I never thought of that. Just remove the top casing and there's a lot of places for solid gripping rather than a fragile plastic rounded casing.
Old 04 February 2010, 11:00   #16

Just be careful of all the wires & delicate - ish throttle mechanisms to bend / rip out.........
Old 04 February 2010, 11:44   #17

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
its the leg apron/casing i was on about ,,,not the engine cover /cowl as 9d280 just pointed out .
Old 04 February 2010, 11:51   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Sheffield
Length: no boat
Azzurro, is your Rooteq trolley OK with a BF20 on? I’d been considering getting one to make lugging my BF20 around a bit easier, but got this information back from the manufacturer when I asked them about using one for Honda outboards:

"Many thanks for your interest in our outboard trolley.
I have checked with our engineer and the reason the Honda 15/20HP will not go on our trolley is that the center of gravity of these outboards are different from any other outboard brand.
That causes instability and is not safe to use. For the TR-60 it can not be solved. We are working on a larger model of the TR-60 which will not have this issue. However, that will take some time before market introduction."

I’d be interested to know if this is really a problem, or it's just the manufacturer being cautious.
Old 04 February 2010, 18:01   #19

Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
MMSI: 235064495
Start eating three Weetabix for breckfast no probs
Old 05 February 2010, 08:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Azzurro, is your Rooteq trolley OK with a BF20 on? I’d been considering getting one to make lugging my BF20 around a bit easier, but got this information back from the manufacturer when I asked them about using one for Honda outboards:

"Many thanks for your interest in our outboard trolley.
I have checked with our engineer and the reason the Honda 15/20HP will not go on our trolley is that the center of gravity of these outboards are different from any other outboard brand.
That causes instability and is not safe to use. For the TR-60 it can not be solved. We are working on a larger model of the TR-60 which will not have this issue. However, that will take some time before market introduction."

I’d be interested to know if this is really a problem, or it's just the manufacturer being cautious.
I have not checked it yet, it's still in the box. I just need a friend to help me load-testing.

The trolley has a plate to block the shaft so once mounted the engine alone won't balance.

My engine is short shaft. This makes the balance of the engine closer to the head. I think that the balance is a problem with almost any 4-stroke short shaft portable engines, even with smaller ones. A better trolley won't help handling the unbalanced engine alone!

But in the other side, the engine is shorter than long shaft so the "fake transom" in the trolley is closer to the floor (I have measured that). A longer shaft in a lighter engine may have the trolley+engine gravity center even upper than mine. A longer shaft in same engine (BF20 long shaft I mean) may help with the balance; but will make the trolley+engine gravity center upper (and the engine will be heavier).

The trolley is supposed to be fine for weight less than 60kg, and mine is 46,5 dry weight.
So I guess that, in the worst case, I can help the trolley+engine gravity center closer to the floor by using a fake 5-10kg weight fixed to the trolley or engine, as closer to the floor as I can.

So this is what I think:
The problem you may have is when placing-removing the engine from trolley because of balance.
This trolley is supposed for sand and irregular floor. It may perform not as good as expected.
Regarding wheels, I'm not sure whether they may get flat if storing the engine for a long time.
I had all of these ideas in mind, put I decided to go for it as:
- I have no room for bigger trolleys.
- big wheels looked better than anyother trolley.

As soon as I test it I will post.