Old 03 February 2010, 16:06   #11

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
It must just be me that can carry our Merc 15hp four strokes one handed and load it in the back of our land rover? although people do seem to look at me strangly when I do that.

Only 36kg, with a carry handle too - piece of pi$$

Old 03 February 2010, 16:09   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
It must just be me that can carry our Merc 15hp four strokes one handed and load it in the back of our land rover? although people do seem to look at me strangly when I do that.

Nope.

I brought a 25hp Johnson home in the cab of a Volvo Globetrotter. Climbed into the cab with it in one hand.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2010, 16:16   #13

Make: XS // Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Only 36kg, with a carry handle too - piece of pi$$
?????

Dry Weight (kg.) 52
Old 03 February 2010, 16:24   #14

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
?????

Dry Weight (kg.) 52
Sorry, I was thinking of the 15hp, 2-stroke, which is light as a feather. A 52kg 4-stroke - that's more like it.

Where's Jono anyway? He's known to carry a V6 Opti under each arm.
Old 04 February 2010, 03:45   #15

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Dont forget if your engine is a four stroke,, most can only be layed down in a certain way though it will usually have a sticker saying which way ,,not the end of the world,, but saves your car boot having a pool of oil in it and then having to refill the outboard back up ,,,if you do use a sack truck to move it about, one with a wide wheel base is better with a top heavy outboard for uneven ground .,,,if i am moving my engine about in the car a lot i remove the plastic apron/casing on my tohatsu at least then i can then get a better hold of it ,its only a 30 second job .
Good! I never thought of that. Just remove the top casing and there's a lot of places for solid gripping rather than a fragile plastic rounded casing.
Old 04 February 2010, 07:00   #16

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Just be careful of all the wires & delicate - ish throttle mechanisms to bend / rip out.........
Old 04 February 2010, 07:44   #17

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
its the leg apron/casing i was on about ,,,not the engine cover /cowl as 9d280 just pointed out .
Old 04 February 2010, 07:51   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Sheffield
Length: no boat
Azzurro, is your Rooteq trolley OK with a BF20 on? Id been considering getting one to make lugging my BF20 around a bit easier, but got this information back from the manufacturer when I asked them about using one for Honda outboards:

"Many thanks for your interest in our outboard trolley.
I have checked with our engineer and the reason the Honda 15/20HP will not go on our trolley is that the center of gravity of these outboards are different from any other outboard brand.
That causes instability and is not safe to use. For the TR-60 it can not be solved. We are working on a larger model of the TR-60 which will not have this issue. However, that will take some time before market introduction."

Id be interested to know if this is really a problem, or it's just the manufacturer being cautious.
Old 04 February 2010, 14:01   #19

Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
Length: 6m +
MMSI: 235064495
Start eating three Weetabix for breckfast no probs
Old 05 February 2010, 04:01   #20

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Azzurro, is your Rooteq trolley OK with a BF20 on? Id been considering getting one to make lugging my BF20 around a bit easier, but got this information back from the manufacturer when I asked them about using one for Honda outboards:

"Many thanks for your interest in our outboard trolley.
I have checked with our engineer and the reason the Honda 15/20HP will not go on our trolley is that the center of gravity of these outboards are different from any other outboard brand.
That causes instability and is not safe to use. For the TR-60 it can not be solved. We are working on a larger model of the TR-60 which will not have this issue. However, that will take some time before market introduction."

Id be interested to know if this is really a problem, or it's just the manufacturer being cautious.
I have not checked it yet, it's still in the box. I just need a friend to help me load-testing.

The trolley has a plate to block the shaft so once mounted the engine alone won't balance.

My engine is short shaft. This makes the balance of the engine closer to the head. I think that the balance is a problem with almost any 4-stroke short shaft portable engines, even with smaller ones. A better trolley won't help handling the unbalanced engine alone!

But in the other side, the engine is shorter than long shaft so the "fake transom" in the trolley is closer to the floor (I have measured that). A longer shaft in a lighter engine may have the trolley+engine gravity center even upper than mine. A longer shaft in same engine (BF20 long shaft I mean) may help with the balance; but will make the trolley+engine gravity center upper (and the engine will be heavier).

The trolley is supposed to be fine for weight less than 60kg, and mine is 46,5 dry weight.
So I guess that, in the worst case, I can help the trolley+engine gravity center closer to the floor by using a fake 5-10kg weight fixed to the trolley or engine, as closer to the floor as I can.

So this is what I think:
The problem you may have is when placing-removing the engine from trolley because of balance.
This trolley is supposed for sand and irregular floor. It may perform not as good as expected.
Regarding wheels, I'm not sure whether they may get flat if storing the engine for a long time.
I had all of these ideas in mind, put I decided to go for it as:
- I have no room for bigger trolleys.
- big wheels looked better than anyother trolley.

As soon as I test it I will post.