Old 28 July 2009, 20:36   #1

Town: Bury
Boat name: O' ALCHEMY
Make: Honwave 3.8 IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235905781
Advice for a newbie

Hi there, I would really appreciate some advice regarding my maiden voyage this Friday to Ullswater with my new SIB. It is a Honwave 3.8 ie with a 15hp (4 stroke). I also have just bought a road trailer but apart from life jackets, ropes etc dont have any other kit such as launch trolley wheels etc.
Has anyone launched from Ullswater? If so where is the best place?
Also any advice regarding boat set up? There is me the wife and two kids aged 10 and 8.

Any help would be much appreciated

Jake
Old 28 July 2009, 20:51   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Welcome to Ribnet - it's mad.

As a foringer, I can't advise re Ullswater but the following general advice may assist.

Keep the civilians warm, dry and fed. Assume you'll be out for a few hours every time you leave the shore.

Keep your charged mobile in a freezer bag (or better) on your person

Wear your killcord all the time when under way

Some kind of small anchor and line wouldn't go amiss - maybe you have this?

Teach the family how to fetch you back if you fall in - my old man made me do my first MOB sim when I was 9 - great fun and never forgotten!

Good luck
Old 28 July 2009, 21:00   #3

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Welcome to Ribnet - it's mad.

As a foringer, I can't advise re Ullswater but the following general advice may assist.

Keep the civilians warm, dry and fed. Assume you'll be out for a few hours every time you leave the shore.

Keep your charged mobile in a freezer bag (or better) on your person

Wear your killcord all the time when under way

Some kind of small anchor and line wouldn't go amiss - maybe you have this?

Teach the family how to fetch you back if you fall in - my old man made me do my first MOB sim when I was 9 - great fun and never forgotten!

Good luck
Excellent advice ,you will defo want an anchor with a good length of rope that is your brake so to speak ,have you got oars for back up if engine breaks down? spare fuel tank? ,really you want to know what you are navigating on ,do you know the different depths of water? flares are a must aswell sorry if im going on a bit ,but these are very inportant factors and there are a lot more things also that im sure the good people will remind you on here ,compass ,a chart e,t,c
Old 28 July 2009, 21:04   #4

Engine: mercury200 20hp
mmm dont open it right up until your used to how it handles. take it slowly for an hour or so
nothing worse than "flipping it" arse over tit it can be funny but not recomended with wife an kids. (unless its my wife in which case ill lend you a concrete block to tie to her then flip it)(((joke
if your kids are small then get them to sit on the floor NOT the tubes unless you have seats, MAKE SURE they hold on AT ALL TIMES and put extra eyes up your arse because you will be suprised how far you can get before you realise one is missing
above all relax and enjoy it its not as daunting as it seems
And belive me no matter how much of a novice you are NOBODY will laugh at you, probably wont even take any notice of you uless you need them
Old 28 July 2009, 21:08   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenF View Post
(unless its my wife in which case ill lend you a concrete block to tie to her
i c wut u did there
Old 28 July 2009, 21:16   #6

OUCHHHHHHHHHHH
so did wifey
Thats me on the sofa again
Old 28 July 2009, 21:16   #7

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Welcome to Ribnet

There is a good slip on Ullswater here:

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/default....redfilterid=10

Transom wheels would make life easier, but you do not really want to be faffing about with them when you only have a few days before you go - something to consider for the future.

There is a 10mph speed limit on Ullswater - I don't know how strictly it is enforced, but as already said, take it steady until you are used to the boat.

Is it a brand new outboard? If so, it will want to be run in (ie limited throttle openings for the first 10 - 20 hours (as per the owner's manual).

Cheers

Chris
Old 28 July 2009, 21:44   #8

Thanks guys

Thanks for the replys.
The boat comes with oars, and I do have walkie talkies where I plan to keep in touch with someone shore based.
I also have a decent length of rope but NO anchor.

will this be a big problem? I was hoping just to tie up if I got out of the boat.

Best wishes

Jake
Old 28 July 2009, 21:47   #9

yeah you dont need EVERYTHING straight away (others may disagree) its a hobby that you add to as you knoledge and experiance dictates
Old 28 July 2009, 22:03   #10

I'm glad you said that, as well as the Boat and Engine I have just paid out for a trailer, tow bar, lighting board and loads of other kit as well such as security locks etc.

Bank balance is not looking good at the moment

Jake
Old 28 July 2009, 22:19   #11

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
All great advice as usual, so I shall only add one thing, Jake.

Have a bloody good time and make sure you take plenty of photos for us all to see.

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2009, 09:06   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake 4589 View Post
I also have a decent length of rope but NO anchor. will this be a big problem?
Jake
Only if you need it . It would not be regarded as good practise to leave shore without one - even on a big paddling pool like Ullswater. The scenarios are endless but in simple terms, if your motor fails/runs out of fuel, your big balloon like craft will still move quickly at the mercy of the wind. Someone may be handy on Ullswater to catch you, but you may find yourself rapidly drifting and trying to update your position to whoever you call for help. If you have an old barbell or gym weight, it should suffice to hold your craft on Ullswater.

To give you some idea, there are a few good threads on here (search) with lists of kit for craft like yours. If you take it all, you'll need a boat bigger than mine. The fun is deciding WHICH stuff to bring.
Old 29 July 2009, 09:19   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Only if you need it . It would not be regarded as good practise to leave shore without one - even on a big paddling pool like Ullswater. The scenarios are endless but in simple terms, if your motor fails/runs out of fuel, your big balloon like craft will still move quickly at the mercy of the wind. Someone may be handy on Ullswater to catch you, but you may find yourself rapidly drifting and trying to update your position to whoever you call for help. If you have an old barbell or gym weight, it should suffice to hold your craft on Ullswater.

To give you some idea, there are a few good threads on here (search) with lists of kit for craft like yours. If you take it all, you'll need a boat bigger than mine. The fun is deciding WHICH stuff to bring.
I'd agree with that. I'd also say that I would happily take a SIB out on Ullswater withough an anchor if it was just me (me and hardy friends) in reasonable weather with a good forecast [worse case on Ullswater you end up on the shore in a really bad place, probably get wet getting out of boat to shore] - but if it was with the kids i'd be a little concerned about that (your most likely scenario is the engine dies, the wind kicks up and you can't paddle enough (or drop a paddle!)).

But a heavy weight or even a stong bag with some big stones in it on a long rope - would significantly slow your drift.

If its first time out with new engine - i'd try to get some practice starting first. As there is nothing to ruin the confidence of your wife in your abilities than watching you try to start it for 20 minutes only to realise it is in gear/kill cord off/fuel not connected and so wont!
Old 29 July 2009, 10:43   #14

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Small grapnel anchor would do, light and don't take up much room. Not sure how deep Ullswater is?
I know I shouldn't but I use cheap polypropalene rope so it doesn't matter if I need to cut it.
Old 29 July 2009, 15:28   #15

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake 4589 View Post
Hi there, I would really appreciate some advice regarding my maiden voyage this Friday to Ullswater with my new SIB. It is a Honwave 3.8 ie with a 15hp (4 stroke). I also have just bought a road trailer but apart from life jackets, ropes etc dont have any other kit such as launch trolley wheels etc.
Has anyone launched from Ullswater? If so where is the best place?
Also any advice regarding boat set up? There is me the wife and two kids aged 10 and 8.

Any help would be much appreciated

Jake
sorry mate i might of gone over the top ,i thought it was tidal were yiou were launching,still good to have most of the kit ,ie anchor and rope
Old 29 July 2009, 18:37   #16

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Small grapnel anchor would do, light and don't take up much room. Not sure how deep Ullswater is?
Up to about 60 metres. I assume as it is a glacial lake the sides shelve pretty steeply?

Not sure how much anchor rope you would realistically want to carry in a SIB?

Cheers

Chris
Old 29 July 2009, 19:28   #17

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Up to about 60 metres. I assume as it is a glacial lake the sides shelve pretty steeply?

Not sure how much anchor rope you would realistically want to carry in a SIB?

Cheers

Chris
max depth at ullswater is about 63 meters and a lot of that is within a few meters of the shore iin places ,once went out to an island years ago to dive ,used 2 avon redcrests and a 2hp yamaha engine towing the other boat ...sides of the island underwater were very nearly vertical
Old 29 July 2009, 19:58   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
welcome to Rib net
I have the same SIB with a 2 stroke Yam 20.
If you wanted to fit wheels, you need these trick ones that bend!
I spent a lot of time around Ullswater growing up.
It is a 10 mph speed limit, if you go significantly faster I am sure you will hear about it, as the lake has a regular steamer service.
Not sure who you could talk to on your VHF there other than the steamers.
The Outward bound school used to run a rescue craft there, but I only remember it being when they were using their boats/kayaks out on the lake.
The water is very deep and very cold, it shelves steeply in a lot of places and towards the Pooley Bridge end, shallows out - I remember a lot of green slime sticking to things at that end of the lake.
The Glenridding steamer car park has a small concrete slip, used by Donald Campbell when launching Bluebird there before he moved it to Coniston.
Think he reached 202 mph, there is a plaque somewhere there.
The weather can change quite quickly, so make sure you carry the right kit for that as it does get cold out on the water and kids will get put off quickly if they are cold and wet.
BUT - the scenery is fanatstic and if the weaether is good you should have great time just pottering about.
Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HondaSIB.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	44479  
Old 29 July 2009, 20:57   #19

Once again, thanks for all your advice. Weather forecast is not that great so we will all be wrapped up in layers and waterproofs etc.
Just hope we can get some time out on the water and so get some experience.

I CAN'T WAIT

Jake
Old 29 July 2009, 21:00   #20

[QUOTE=MustRib;307312] welcome to Rib net
I have the same SIB with a 2 stroke Yam 20.
If you wanted to fit wheels, you need these trick ones that bend!

These wheels, are they specially designed for the Honwave?
Where can you get them from?
And roughly how much?

Best wishes and thanks in advance

Jake