Old 26 April 2010, 15:36   #11

Length: no boat
was thinking of keeping it in garden with cover, as long as can get it through garage intially.

My concern is if going for a RIB and wanting to offload at beach possibly more chance of damaging gelcoat, but suppose they are more comfortable than a SIB

only ever been on a RIB and it was a friends a real monster with 2 huge engines on back, mind you i think he paid something crazy for it

Old 26 April 2010, 15:44   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROGGLES View Post
was thinking of keeping it in garden with cover, as long as can get it through garage intially.

My concern is if going for a RIB and wanting to offload at beach possibly more chance of damaging gelcoat, but suppose they are more comfortable than a SIB

only ever been on a RIB and it was a friends a real monster with 2 huge engines on back, mind you i think he paid something crazy for it
A keelguard strip on a rib helps .

I don't know what sort of damage could happen to a sib.
If it was an unknown beach I think a rhib rather a scratch than a tear.

Old 26 April 2010, 15:56   #13

Length: no boat
- what wholes theres values better

any preference on engine manufacturer
Old 26 April 2010, 15:59   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Engine: 115 hp
Quote:
- what wholes theres values better

any preference on engine manufacturer
Me I like the Mariner 4 stroke but I would ask the forum the Question
Old 27 April 2010, 02:26   #15

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:

I would suggest a cat-hulled SIB, which will be much more comfortable in the big waves than a conventional SIB, yet still allow you to run rapid strewn rivers that would smash up hard hulls. Here is a thread I posted a while back that discusses this;

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...ight=bloodvein
Old 28 April 2010, 07:20   #16

Town: Hampshire
Length: 3m +
I've got a 3.4 SIB and 9.8 2-stroke. The whole lot fits in the car, takes 20mins to get onto the water, 20mins to recover and deflated. No launch or trailer parking fees, towing hassles or storage issues. But its limited to inshore trips and gets blown around in a wind.

If I upgraded to a larger boat I wouldn't get a RIB. They seem overpriced, cramped and generally more hassle than normal boats for fishing at least. I fail to see an upside of RIBs other than speed, OR am I missing something?
Old 28 April 2010, 18:23   #17

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
I can put my SR 5.4 onto the beach gently without causing scratches and still land people where they can go ashore without getting their shorts wet. Granted once its aground it isn't going anywhere till the tide comes back in.

Ian
Old 29 April 2010, 16:47   #18

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Hi,
I am sure a rib has advantages over a sib, but for me the best things about sibs are;

When my boat needed work over the winter I brought it in the house (it is 4.5m), inflated and worked on in warm, non humid conditions. You can't do this with many boats.

I can launch it by myself at the slipway, ground it, then park the trailer up. This means I don't have to rely on others.

Fuel. My last sib, a 3.4m ali floor avon with 9.8hp engine used less than a 5 a day when fishing. This inludes going to different wrecks, and continually motoring back up to drift again.

Power. On the boat above, my 9.8hp used to do 17knots with tackle and allsorts.

Repair. I know a lot of people can repair fibreglass, but I can't. I can glue hypalon though.

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 04 May 2010, 12:56   #19

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
I've got a 3.4 SIB and 9.8 2-stroke. The whole lot fits in the car, takes 20mins to get onto the water, 20mins to recover and deflated. No launch or trailer parking fees, towing hassles or storage issues. But its limited to inshore trips and gets blown around in a wind.

If I upgraded to a larger boat I wouldn't get a RIB. They seem overpriced, cramped and generally more hassle than normal boats for fishing at least. I fail to see an upside of RIBs other than speed, OR am I missing something?
Just sold my 3.8 SIB and the guy who bought it wanted to transport it deflated - what a hassle - took a long while and ended up quite a big package - as for the engine 20 hp Honda - wouldn't want to lug that on and off everytime i used the boat. So the SIB advantage is limited to under 3m boats I think. Otherwise RIBS give a much better ride without fear of being blow over/capsized in any sort of big sea and wind.

I kept my sib trailered and inflated always and did have a lot of fun in it - but the RIB i now have is altogether in a different league. Yes its a bit bigger at 4.7 metres and more powerful at 70hp - but I can keep much drier and have dry places to keep kit etc. Of course its much heavier but I can still easily launch and recover single handedly (with the aid of a winch) - I could just about launch and recover the SIB without a winch but to do it comfortably needed a winch.
Old 05 May 2010, 03:00   #20

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
I think it depends purely on what you want to use them for and what storage facilities you have. They both fill different needs and have strengths and weaknesses on both sides.

RIB: Can be very fast, can be drier, can be more of a cheesy smile moment
SIB: Can be easier to store, can be easier to launch, can be cheaper to run

If you are like me though you will end up with both and make a meal of each

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote