Old 28 June 2017, 08:07   #1

Town: Pewsey
Make: Honwave T32IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF6
Abbots Quay Wareham Slipway

Has anyone any experience of launching from Abbots Quay slipway in Wareham on to the Frome? All looks a bit tight for space to set up but looks like a great place to launch from then work my way down stream to Poole Harbour.

Any other recommendations for slipways in Dorset/Hampshire, river or sea?
Old 28 June 2017, 09:56   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I've never used it, and it is very small, but if you're launching the Honwave in your profile, I can't see a massive issue. If you can launch and just row/motor 10m under the bridge, you can tie up at the main quay to load gear/passengers and set things up properly, before you head off downstream.

Baiter Park slip in Poole is the common public slip people seem to use, which has plenty of parking and setup area. There's a public slip at Swanage that some people on here use as well. Obviously various slips in the marinas, yacht clubs and sailing clubs that you might be able to pay to use.
Old 28 June 2017, 12:04   #3

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
for me Redcliff just outside Wareham would be the obvious place to launch for the river Frome cruise to Poole harbour in a SIB
Old 28 June 2017, 12:43   #4

Town: Wootton Bridge
Boat name: N/A
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 70hp
MMSI: 235118695
There's a small launch site at the end of Lake Road in Hamworthy. Google Earth ref: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...d-2.0109?hl=en

This is suitable for SIBs - there is a height restriction barrier at the entrance. Probably best to use on a rising tide.
Old 28 June 2017, 17:22   #5

Thanks for your replies folks, much appreciated.
Old 28 June 2017, 17:35   #6

Just looked at Redcliff on Google Maps Budgie1. Looks like there's a campsite and a lot of boats parked up. Is there anywhere to park my car and room to set up?
Old 28 June 2017, 17:35   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie1 View Post
for me Redcliff just outside Wareham would be the obvious place to launch for the river Frome cruise to Poole harbour in a SIB
If you follow the road downstream from the Redclyffe Sailing Club you come upon a slipway next to a caravan site. Might be an option and worth a look.
Old 28 June 2017, 17:54   #8

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojslokin View Post
Just looked at Redcliff on Google Maps Budgie1. Looks like there's a campsite and a lot of boats parked up. Is there anywhere to park my car and room to set up?
There is parking on both sides of road which runs past the slip and up to the camping area.

The tidal range is pretty small here (seem to recall around 1M) so getting in and coming out is pretty easy. Takes about 15 mins to get into the harbour.

The slip slopes gently and is generally ok apart from loose stones near the bottom which road wheels can cope with, but not jockey wheels!
Old 28 June 2017, 20:06   #9

Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Engine: Johnson 90hp
I've spent many many hours at Abbots Quay; I worked at/ran the boat hire there from about 1980 to 1990...

The slip is very narrow, and the road to the front of it is also narrow, athough you can use the stone paved quay area to set up on. Then you'd have to find somewhere to park your car and trailer; I've not looked at parking there for years (although have walked that area on trips back to see family). There may be on street in Pound Lane if you are lucky, or the Streche Road car park was the other option (although I think the spaces there are now more fomalised than they used to be).

How about launching at Ridge Wharf; you could then travel up stream to Wareham, stop at the main Quay and then continue upstream further. Wareham would be a nice place to stop for a coffee or beer (we had a great Sunday Roast at the Kings Arms in North Street when we were last back).

We used to let the boats with outboards go up about 3/4 mile beyond the Quay. After that the weed would get dense and you'd need to keep stopping to clean your prop (and keep your cooling). However, as it is your own boat and if you pick your way you may make it further. The railway bridge (Swanage line) is from memory about 1.5 miles. I think the river is tidal that far up (and therefore legally navigable??). However, it was all a long time ago and it was about 10 years ago that I last went up the river.

http://www.ridgewharf.co.uk/services