Old 26 April 2018, 17:10   #21

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
A good sib or rib watertight storage box solution

Wow people are just not getting my point lol.
The above post with link is for a pelican style case. I'm not talking about a case! I have cases for survival kit, I wanted a watertight STORAGE box around 40 litres to store general SIB RIB gear. . . Anchor, Drouge, tow line, 4 x beers, 2ltr of water, snacks, tool kit, caught mackerel, fishing kit etc. . .
Old 26 April 2018, 17:34   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Lee folks are only reacting and offering advice based on the statements you make... and it's hardly thread drift when all advice surrounds storage boxes for keeping stuff dry in a SIB. The OP can never control what others post after... just got to go with the flow!

>>> I wanted a watertight STORAGE box around 40 litres

If you want watertight at sea then very likely IP65 isn't enough.
Old 26 April 2018, 17:56   #23

When I say watertight I'm happy for water not to enter the box under normal on deck sib use, I'm not looking for submersible spec box for the kit that will be in there. Jetwash proof is good enough for me.

I did state that maybe the box would withstand submersion, and I'm going to fill it with weight and submerge it to find out

Maybe I should of labelled the thread 'what is your 40 litre water resistant storage box' but people would of still posted about pelican cases that are way under 40 litres

So what other options are out there for a 40 or so litre storage box (not bag) that is at least better than these (pictured below) and let's say the budget needs to be sensible i.e. under £50 the box must have good tie down options like the dewalt side carry handles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6721.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	124420
Old 26 April 2018, 18:18   #24

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Plastic Barrels, Kegs and Drums | Solent Plastics

In budget won't smash when cold cheep ones will

http://www.raidcase.com/# Link to northern divers
Old 26 April 2018, 19:12   #25

>>>Jetwash proof is good enough for me.

This is what makes offering help hard... I posted above an average cheapy jetwash is four hundred times more powerful than the IP65 rating of that DeWalt box.
Old 26 April 2018, 21:00   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Plastic Barrels, Kegs and Drums | Solent Plastics

In budget won't smash when cold cheep ones will

http://www.raidcase.com/# Link to northern divers

Ok had a look at the kegs the 40 litre one in particular, I think it would be hard work trying to get bits of kit out of the neck of the keg (and your restricted what will fit in) and I think stuff will end up stacked on top of stuff, Would a box not be a whole lot easier?
Old 26 April 2018, 21:07   #27

Here's a water test video (forward to 03.30) this is looking like the best £30 I've spent in a long time, I would love to know how many members have already ordered one but won't be posting about lol

Old 26 April 2018, 21:37   #28

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Why is he wearing goggles and gloves? Not wearing gloves while doing the water test though, confused.

I think someone on here has made a battery storage all in one jobbie with a similar case, for some reason I think the seal failed but it looked like a good idea. At £30 it's not a huge investment if it doesn't work out and you can always use the case for something anyway

To each there own, I bought a small peli-type-case a while back and while it's stupidly tough it's also clumpy on the boat and doesn't fit anywhere plus the things inside get all muddled up. I'm more into canvas bags that fit into different places and for anything fishy a Tupperware box or so, less is more for me
Old 26 April 2018, 22:22   #29

I think the gloves is a reviewer 'thing' I've seen it a lot on reviews, those clasps look and sound ok, the seal looks better than some I've seen and it could be replaced with something better I suspect, usually just a coating of silicone each side of the seal and wax on the seal improves things, I have also used holdall/sports bags but gone though them fast as the zips salt up and fail and you always have to put them back in the vehicle soaking wet and your forever rummaging down the bag to find small items lol
Old 27 April 2018, 06:50   #30

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Just to add to earlier topic about using Pelis - they are the best idea IMHO but cost sillly money - I'd never buy new, just be patient and look on eBay - the big yellow one I use was only £30 odd on a buy it now some years ago. Get Peli quality for the price of a cheap Chinese clone new that may or may not last the distance. Have to say again though there cannot be room to swing a cat in a 2.7m SIB with all that gear...

I use one large Peli with space spare for food etc and then one dry bag stored in the bow recess for clothes. Old boat here but still using same case. Peli is strapped in centre of bow and makes great seat too.

More pics here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/rigging...tml#post714790

Old 27 April 2018, 09:21   #31

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
Ok had a look at the kegs the 40 litre one in particular, I think it would be hard work trying to get bits of kit out of the neck of the keg (and your restricted what will fit in) and I think stuff will end up stacked on top of stuff, Would a box not be a whole lot easier?
Personally I find when you need kit it needs to be orderly as per Max's set up stuff like rope etc I put in dry bags to stow easier, I use one of the white barrels for my trailer spares a full hub ass fits easy, its up to you but from expeariance a toolbox is just that pelis or similar just as good fit the bill and made for the job take a pounding in the front of the boat for me £80 for the Solent plastics case is worth it by far. Other stuff to consider flare boxes,hail yard bags, dry bags the last two stow easy can clip on to the hogging rope /strip and fit in that awkward gap left in the bow AMO of course.
Old 27 April 2018, 09:39   #32

>>>Personally I find when you need kit it needs to be orderly as per Max's set up stuff like rope etc I put in dry bags to stow easier

Yep agree... I mostly use tub shaped dry bags and have stuff at the bottom that may not be needed in two weeks of sibbing... but water and jelly babies are at the top.
Old 27 April 2018, 13:30   #33

Box and securing patches has arrived, I have no concerns with the seal or latches looking good Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6734.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	124432Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6735.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	124433Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6736.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	124434Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6737.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	124435
Old 27 April 2018, 15:47   #34

I just stick stuff in a regular cheap plastic box. Keeps stuff dry enough for me!

Tags
rib, sib