Old 19 June 2011, 09:18   #21

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Have a search for this as there are loads of opinions but in short having read dozens of topics on this nearly everyone who moves to an air floor from a rigid floor would never go back. And if inflating/deflating out of a boot each use air is generally accepted as a big advantage. You can always make a lightweight ply floor panel to lay on the air to give you a more rigid structure.
Old 20 June 2011, 15:11   #22

Length: no boat
I think I'm going to take a bit of a hit on the weight and get a flooring. but I would love to know how long extra it takes to put the floor boards in. Do they just drop straight in or is there a load of faffing with strapping them down or anything?
Old 20 June 2011, 18:30   #23

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonye
I think I'm going to take a bit of a hit on the weight and get a flooring. but I would love to know how long extra it takes to put the floor boards in. Do they just drop straight in or is there a load of faffing with strapping them down or anything?
There's a back to it and once you've got it it takes no time at all but it's a pain in the A... You don't strap them down they lock into side runners which generally never go in exactly as planned. Like I said there's a back to it. Funny times at the slipway until you have it

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 20 June 2011, 18:34   #24

Town: Alderney
There's a knack to it and once you've got it it takes no time at all, but it's a pain. You don't strap them down, they lock into side runners which generally never go in exactly as planned. Like he said there's a knack to it.

Old 20 June 2011, 18:38   #25

Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Hi mate.

Ive just upgraded from a 320 airdeck to a 380 ali floor and i pack away after use.

I havent taken in out on the water yet (bloody british weather) but i have put it up in the garden and it does take longer than a air floor and it is a bit fiddly but i feel the benefits of a solid floor will make it worth while.

With my air floor the air floor moves, alot and that bugged me, and if you stand up in it its like standing on a bouncy castle. (slight exzageration but you know what i mean)
And the floor has to be pumped up to the right pressure.

My opinion the ali deck wins as you can stand, jump, walk on it and its fine.

Im sure someone has already mentioned that any SIB is a compromise and you will never get a SIB capable of doind everything you want and more and still fitting in the back of a mini.

Good luck
Old 20 June 2011, 18:41   #26

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I never found fitting the ply floor in my old Zodiac a massive issue... it's more the weight saving we appreciate with the air floor and one less bag of bits to carry.

Best bit of advice I was given for hard floor fitting is to put just a small amount of air in the boat first... and to put the oars under the boat so it is raised a little when fitting the floor.

As said above it's usually the side rails that keep it locked down that are the hardest.
Old 20 June 2011, 19:18   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs
There's a knack to it and once you've got it it takes no time at all, but it's a pain. You don't strap them down, they lock into side runners which generally never go in exactly as planned. Like he said there's a knack to it.

Lol

As I said there's a back to it!

Don't you just love iPad auto complete. Makes you look a right Banker! See there it goes again

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 20 June 2011, 20:25   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieboi View Post
Hi mate.

Ive just upgraded from a 320 airdeck to a 380 ali floor and i pack away after use.

I havent taken in out on the water yet (bloody british weather) but i have put it up in the garden and it does take longer than a air floor and it is a bit fiddly but i feel the benefits of a solid floor will make it worth while.

With my air floor the air floor moves, alot and that bugged me, and if you stand up in it its like standing on a bouncy castle. (slight exzageration but you know what i mean)
And the floor has to be pumped up to the right pressure.

My opinion the ali deck wins as you can stand, jump, walk on it and its fine.

Im sure someone has already mentioned that any SIB is a compromise and you will never get a SIB capable of doind everything you want and more and still fitting in the back of a mini.

Good luck

If you were to time it, how much longer do you think it would take you? Although I appreciate the learning curve will get that down lol
Old 20 June 2011, 21:16   #29

Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Probably about 20 minutes.
Old 21 June 2011, 06:47   #30

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonye View Post
If you were to time it, how much longer do you think it would take you? Although I appreciate the learning curve will get that down lol
I have posted this before, but in short we did a demo for a sailing club that were thinking of adding SIBs to their safety boat fleet. I challenged the Boatswain to a race, he had to hitch up his tractor to a RIB, launch it and park the trailer. We managed to unpack, inflate, rig and launch a 4.3m SIB in the same time.

Once the boat and owner are suitably broken in it is a fairly slick operation and the single biggest advantage to SIBs, if you cannot tow or are already towing then they do a job no other boat can.
Old 21 June 2011, 09:06   #31

Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: twatsu 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
I have posted this before, but in short we did a demo for a sailing club that were thinking of adding SIBs to their safety boat fleet. I challenged the Boatswain to a race, he had to hitch up his tractor to a RIB, launch it and park the trailer. We managed to unpack, inflate, rig and launch a 4.3m SIB in the same time.

Once the boat and owner are suitably broken in it is a fairly slick operation and the single biggest advantage to SIBs, if you cannot tow or are already towing then they do a job no other boat can.
I have to agree.
My boat has an ally floor too , i can have out the van, erected and in the water in 15/20 minutes no problem .
i am recently new to boating too,, i didnt want to go and buy a boat ,then have to upgrade because i`d made a rash decision, so i went out and bought a 4metre sib honwave solid floor and a tohatsu 40 hp , thus maybe overdoing it ,, BUT i`ll never need to upgrade .. I would also recomend that you buy the maximum size/weight engine that the transom allows.
TIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2011, 15:14   #32

Cheers people, I think I'm pretty settled on the boat, now the outboard lol

I'm going to go with a 2 stroke 15hp, but was wondering on the make. I see Tohatsu are pretty cheap - are they any good or should I stick with a yammy or Merc?

Would anyone bother buying new? I only as because the
Tohatsu are pretty cheap anyway.

thanks
Old 22 June 2011, 08:12   #33

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
Tohatsu make good motors. Usually a new engine on a good second hand hull is a good compromise, though if you find an old tohatsu 18hp two stroke I'd snap it up if I were you - they weigh next to nothing and have plenty of power
Old 22 June 2011, 09:06   #34

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Well of course you can't buy a new 2-stroke so if that's your choice it has to be used.

I'm very much in favour of used 2-strokes from around 2001 on. There are many that have been looked after and still look/run like new. So many folks don't get their boats out nearly as much as they'd planned and many 5-10yr old under 25hp outboards are just run in, flushed after every use and kept under wraps in dry garages.

Big thumbs up from me for Tohatsu as well.

I've just bought this Mariner 15 which will get new impellor, thermostat, gear oil and plugs bringing it to virtually new condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariner 15.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	60300  
Old 22 June 2011, 13:15   #35

Thanks guys.

Which are generally the best makes: are they Mercury, Mariner, Yama & Tohats??
Old 23 June 2011, 00:06   #36

I think you will find they are mostly all manufactured by Tohatsu, then re branded as Mariner, Yamaha etc, with a premium. Strangely enough, the Tohatsu,s although cheaper to buy when new, seems to be the popular choice when buying secondhand.
Old 28 June 2011, 14:22   #37

Town: British Columbia
Make: Zodiac (sold)
I'll just add one vote for 4 stroke engines..... way quieter, no mixing, and don't smell.

Yup way heavier.... always trade offs. Love my Honda..... starts first try every time.

I agree with those who say get the biggest engine that the boat is rated for..... it will only be a matter of time before you wish you did.
Old 28 June 2011, 15:02   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverandocean
I'll just add one vote for 4 stroke engines..... way quieter, no mixing, and don't smell.

Yup way heavier.... always trade offs. Love my Honda..... starts first try every time.

I agree with those who say get the biggest engine that the boat is rated for..... it will only be a matter of time before you wish you did.
Well I'll play the devil and defend "ye old 2 stroke"

Way lighter, store it how you like, cheaper services, will run on just about any old fuel (although not advised), far more responsive,

Downsides... Fuel - granted big savings on larger HP but not really an issue at that HP, mixing - buy a £2 mixing jug problem solved, smell - ain't the exhaust at the rear of the boat ????

Back to the upsides, stand the test of time. You see 2 strokes still going strong from the 80's whereas these new 4 strokes from China or wherever won't give you 15 years service.

4 stroke is the way forward without question but only because we have to!!

Old 29 June 2011, 05:16   #39

Town: British Columbia
Make: Zodiac (sold)
Ok Peter...... I'll counter......

The storage issue..... never been a problem for me..... you can lay down a 4 stroke, just have to put it on one side only..... no big deal.

Honda never made 2 strokes...... maybe they knew 4 was better?

Lots of old Honda 4 strokes around that are going strong after 30 years!

True, other manufacturers are just now trying to build reliable 4 strokes because they have to!

Enjoy your choice!

Have fun boating

All meant in good humor.
Old 29 June 2011, 07:32   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverandocean
Ok Peter...... I'll counter......

The storage issue..... never been a problem for me..... you can lay down a 4 stroke, just have to put it on one side only..... no big deal.

Honda never made 2 strokes...... maybe they knew 4 was better?

Lots of old Honda 4 strokes around that are going strong after 30 years!

True, other manufacturers are just now trying to build reliable 4 strokes because they have to!

Enjoy your choice!

Have fun boating

All meant in good humor.
Deuce!!

My serve, 

If 4 strokes been going strong 30 years how come the RNLI never used 4 stroke until very recently ?

Back to smell, a new e-tec will kick out less emissions then a 10 year old Honda,

Standing the test of time - show me a larger (50hp+) 4 stroke that's still running PRE 1994 ? I can show you 1000 2 strokes,

Match point, come on Tim

I don't have any 4 strokes for sale right now, I win

Did i mention i've several large 2 strokes for sale ? Ask me next week and I'm sure I'll be batting from the other side. 

All in jest,