Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 19 June 2011, 05:18   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,691
Have a search for this as there are loads of opinions but in short having read dozens of topics on this nearly everyone who moves to an air floor from a rigid floor would never go back. And if inflating/deflating out of a boot each use air is generally accepted as a big advantage. You can always make a lightweight ply floor panel to lay on the air to give you a more rigid structure.
__________________

__________________
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 11:11   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 28
I think I'm going to take a bit of a hit on the weight and get a flooring. but I would love to know how long extra it takes to put the floor boards in. Do they just drop straight in or is there a load of faffing with strapping them down or anything?
__________________

__________________
tonye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 14:30   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonye
I think I'm going to take a bit of a hit on the weight and get a flooring. but I would love to know how long extra it takes to put the floor boards in. Do they just drop straight in or is there a load of faffing with strapping them down or anything?
There's a back to it and once you've got it it takes no time at all but it's a pain in the A... You don't strap them down they lock into side runners which generally never go in exactly as planned. Like I said there's a back to it. Funny times at the slipway until you have it

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 14:34   #24
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
There's a knack to it and once you've got it it takes no time at all, but it's a pain. You don't strap them down, they lock into side runners which generally never go in exactly as planned. Like he said there's a knack to it.

__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 14:38   #25
Member
 
lockieboi's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 435
Hi mate.

Ive just upgraded from a 320 airdeck to a 380 ali floor and i pack away after use.

I havent taken in out on the water yet (bloody british weather) but i have put it up in the garden and it does take longer than a air floor and it is a bit fiddly but i feel the benefits of a solid floor will make it worth while.

With my air floor the air floor moves, alot and that bugged me, and if you stand up in it its like standing on a bouncy castle. (slight exzageration but you know what i mean)
And the floor has to be pumped up to the right pressure.

My opinion the ali deck wins as you can stand, jump, walk on it and its fine.

Im sure someone has already mentioned that any SIB is a compromise and you will never get a SIB capable of doind everything you want and more and still fitting in the back of a mini.

Good luck
__________________
lockieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 14:41   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,275
I never found fitting the ply floor in my old Zodiac a massive issue... it's more the weight saving we appreciate with the air floor and one less bag of bits to carry.

Best bit of advice I was given for hard floor fitting is to put just a small amount of air in the boat first... and to put the oars under the boat so it is raised a little when fitting the floor.

As said above it's usually the side rails that keep it locked down that are the hardest.
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 15:18   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs
There's a knack to it and once you've got it it takes no time at all, but it's a pain. You don't strap them down, they lock into side runners which generally never go in exactly as planned. Like he said there's a knack to it.

Lol

As I said there's a back to it!

Don't you just love iPad auto complete. Makes you look a right Banker! See there it goes again

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 16:25   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieboi View Post
Hi mate.

Ive just upgraded from a 320 airdeck to a 380 ali floor and i pack away after use.

I havent taken in out on the water yet (bloody british weather) but i have put it up in the garden and it does take longer than a air floor and it is a bit fiddly but i feel the benefits of a solid floor will make it worth while.

With my air floor the air floor moves, alot and that bugged me, and if you stand up in it its like standing on a bouncy castle. (slight exzageration but you know what i mean)
And the floor has to be pumped up to the right pressure.

My opinion the ali deck wins as you can stand, jump, walk on it and its fine.

Im sure someone has already mentioned that any SIB is a compromise and you will never get a SIB capable of doind everything you want and more and still fitting in the back of a mini.

Good luck

If you were to time it, how much longer do you think it would take you? Although I appreciate the learning curve will get that down lol
__________________
tonye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 17:16   #29
Member
 
lockieboi's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 435
Probably about 20 minutes.
__________________
lockieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2011, 02:47   #30
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonye View Post
If you were to time it, how much longer do you think it would take you? Although I appreciate the learning curve will get that down lol
I have posted this before, but in short we did a demo for a sailing club that were thinking of adding SIBs to their safety boat fleet. I challenged the Boatswain to a race, he had to hitch up his tractor to a RIB, launch it and park the trailer. We managed to unpack, inflate, rig and launch a 4.3m SIB in the same time.

Once the boat and owner are suitably broken in it is a fairly slick operation and the single biggest advantage to SIBs, if you cannot tow or are already towing then they do a job no other boat can.
__________________

__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.