Old 05 February 2010, 17:02   #1

Town: Plymouth
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25hp 2s Mariner 2003
A few questions from a newbie!

Hi there.

Im new to RIBnet.

I recently bought a quicksiver 430 hd xs and mariner 25hp stroke 2003 model. Just want to know if the outboard has any type of thermostatic control on the cooling system? I started the engine with muffs before I purchased it and the water would only 'spit' out of the tell tale. I did notice however half way down the leg there is another tell tale and the water was coming out of there a treat. It was a particularly cold day (3 degrees c). I found that if I put my finger over the lower hole water would come out of the top tell tale. I’ve had outboard before but they’ve always been older and water used to pump straight away.

And finally, I’m going to be storing my inflatable on a trailer on my drive. Just wondering what security measures I can take to prevent anyone stealing the boat. I’m going to get a wheel clamp but was trying to think of a way to stop anyone nicking the boat its self. If somebody wants it, they’ll take it. I think its all about the deterrent.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Samz9090
Old 05 February 2010, 17:44   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz9090 View Post
Im new to RIBnet.
welcome.
Quote:
I recently bought a quicksiver 430 hd xs and mariner 25hp stroke 2003 model. Just want to know if the outboard has any type of thermostatic control on the cooling system? I started the engine with muffs before I purchased it and the water would only 'spit' out of the tell tale. I did notice however half way down the leg there is another tell tale and the water was coming out of there a treat. It was a particularly cold day (3 degrees c). I found that if I put my finger over the lower hole water would come out of the top tell tale. I’ve had outboard before but they’ve always been older and water used to pump straight away.
I don't know the specifics of your engine (is it a 2 or 4 stroke?) - it will almost certainly have some sort of thermostat but most still have the telltale flowing when cold. You might want to try it in a bucket/bin rather than on muffs. If the tell water flow through the muffs is poor you may not see a strong tell tale. The water in the bucket will also gradually warm up a bit so if its just cold you'll see whereas on muffs you are constantly supplying cold water.
Quote:
And finally, I’m going to be storing my inflatable on a trailer on my drive. Just wondering what security measures I can take to prevent anyone stealing the boat. I’m going to get a wheel clamp but was trying to think of a way to stop anyone nicking the boat its self. If somebody wants it, they’ll take it. I think its all about the deterrent.
Its going to be pretty hard with a sib as almost anything you secure it to can be cut off at the boat side with minimal damage. I'd say you want to make the trailer reasonably hard to nick. Put it somewhere that makes it hard to move the boat without moving the trailer first (e.g. tight gap, close to a wall etc). If worried I would put a chain (or secure cable) with padlock to the transom and attached to the trailer or ground/wall etc. If its got a hard floor I guess you could also lock the floor to the trailer. A cover (which is a good idea anyway) will mean passing eyes may not realise just how portable it is.
Old 05 February 2010, 18:19   #3

Thanks for the reply. Its a 2 stroke outboard. I only ran it for about 30 seconds. May have to whip the wheelie bin out and submerge the water intake. Im not really a fan of the flush muffs but maybe I just need a new pair.

I live In a fairly decent area so a cover, wheel clamp and a few chains should do the trick. Also considering cctv.

Thanks
Old 05 February 2010, 18:32   #4

Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Samz

I might be wrong but your engine is probably a Tohatsu branded Mariner. If it is you can do a few simple mods that will give you an extra 5 hp for the price of a gasket.
There are threads on the forum explaining what you have to do. I did it to mine
Old 06 February 2010, 09:52   #5

I tried running the outboard in a wheelie bin just now and the water is just lightly spitting from the tell tale! IS the water pump easy to access? or is it worth me taking it in for a service? Thanks.
Old 06 February 2010, 11:37   #6

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
its best to change the water pump impeller each year anyhow and you probely wont know when it was last changed ,cost of the impeller will be about £15,,,,it could be that the tell tale hole and pipe has got a blockage ,,try carefully poking it a bit with some wire ,
Old 06 February 2010, 12:40   #7
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
IS the water pump easy to access?
In theory yes. In practice depends how long the bolts have been seizing into place! Here's a guide on how to do it - for a much larger engine but with the same concept: http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5840

Worth doing anyway if you are not sure when last done. But as MC says could be just a blockage - long piece of strimmer wire poked up the tell tale should help.
Old 06 February 2010, 13:10   #8

Thanks for the replies! I've just phoned up a outboard mechanic and it turns out I have a model with a thermostat. It opens and closes according the the engine temp. When it does open the water is quite hot.

Regarding changing the impeller, shall I change the gaskets aswell? And do I need a special tool to remove the boltss? looks like its going to be hard to get a spanner in.

Thanks.
Old 06 February 2010, 13:14   #9

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
the blockage is most likely to be at the engine end, follow the tell tale pipe back to the cylinder barrel and remove the pipe, stick something in the hole, you cant do any damage by sticking a lump of wire down it as it's just the water jacket between the cylinder liner and the outer housing, run it up with the pipe off, because it's ali it firs up, you might have to take the head gasket off and clean around the cylinder wall, the whole jobs about an hour or it might be the water pump of course, i'd rather do the clean out than the pump, thats how easy it is
Old 06 February 2010, 14:10   #10
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
the blockage is most likely to be at the engine end, follow the tell tale pipe back to the cylinder barrel and remove the pipe, stick something in the hole, you cant do any damage by sticking a lump of wire down it as it's just the water jacket between the cylinder liner and the outer housing, run it up with the pipe off, because it's ali it firs up, you might have to take the head gasket off and clean around the cylinder wall, the whole jobs about an hour or it might be the water pump of course, i'd rather do the clean out than the pump, thats how easy it is
Well... if it's a fairly new engine, yes.If I was unfamiliar with engines and undoing seized bolts I wouldn't want to do it unless it looked quite rust-free on the head bolts though.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2010, 16:38   #11

For what its worth im going to book it in for a service and impeller change. Id like to do it myself but knowing me id end up doing something wrong! Plus I really dont have the time.

How much am I looking at for a service and impeller change?
Old 06 February 2010, 17:26   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
For what its worth im going to book it in for a service and impeller change. Id like to do it myself but knowing me id end up doing something wrong! Plus I really dont have the time.

How much am I looking at for a service and impeller change?
You'll be lucky to get significant change from 100 quid.