Old 17 August 2011, 13:14   #1

Town: Cambridge
Make: Quicksilver airdeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: mariner 4hp
6hp outboard query

hi, am looking for a bit of advice please ...

I am considering buying a 6hp outboard, either a Suzuki or a Mariner. The Suzuki has an inbuilt petrol tank, the Mariner does not, and as I'm about to be a newbie to boating, I don't have the experience to decide between the 2 engines. I would welcome advice and opinions please to help decide, or is it more a case of personal choice and cost??
Many thanks
Mark
Old 17 August 2011, 13:56   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Having the option is nice. For example, someone with a 2.7m () might appreciate being able to do short trips without a big brute of a tank taking up deck space. You could then carry a small container of fuel as a reserve, e.g. a camping fuel bottle.
Old 17 August 2011, 14:19   #3

thanks willk. by the way, I kept dithering about going solid floor or airdeck, but your feedback regarding your own airdeck has steered me more in the airdeck direction now I like the upsides to an airdeck, and I suspect the boat will be easier and quicker to use on those occasions when I go out on my own. (fishing).. cheers, Mark
Old 17 August 2011, 14:39   #4
RIBnet Supporter

I should clarify somewhat - some engines have a internal tank AND a fitting for an external - I'm not sure how many there are in current ranges. To give you some idea of usage, my 9.8 typically burns about 5-6 litres during a busy day on the water. Not much, but several refills on a 1.1 litre engine.

I find my SIB fine for solo fishing, but passersby tend to have a right old larf at me - I guess I look like a garden ornament...

Old 17 August 2011, 15:21   #5

Town: Lancashire
Length: 5m +
Its probably down to personal choice.. id personally go for an external as i know from the 4hp internal i had, that i had to carry spare cans of fuel anyway for a full day out. If the engines are brand new, it'll be pick whatever takes your fancy Though if second hand, id probably just look for the best condition one
Old 18 August 2011, 10:11   #6

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Twahtzoo 20hp
MMSI: 235906188
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I should clarify somewhat - some engines have a internal tank AND a fitting for an external
Personally, i would only buy an engine with an internal tank IF it had a fitting for external as well.
Old 18 August 2011, 10:23   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
If this for going to sea then it has to be an external tank to give the reserve capacity for a trip and it's so much easier to see how much you have left. Bending over an integral tank outboard in a chop to check fuel level or refill from a can is not a good experience.
Old 18 August 2011, 12:32   #8

Town: Lancashire
Boat name: -
Make: Bombard
Engine: 15hp outboard
Something else to consider. I've always used external tank, don't fancy having motor full of petrol in the garage, can always drain external into car with a funnel - 4 strokes only though !
Old 18 August 2011, 14:26   #9

appreciate the feedback guys, thanks. My thoughts were that the internal tank would be useful when on a river, but if at sea I'd use a small external tank as backup (the engine does have facility for connection to an external tank also). A negative though, I suppose, is transporting an engine with petrol in it back home after boating (the plan is to leave home with it empty and fill at my destination). I suppose I could siphon it empty after boating?
Old 18 August 2011, 16:19   #10

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by general123 View Post
thanks willk. by the way, I kept dithering about going solid floor or airdeck, but your feedback regarding your own airdeck has steered me more in the airdeck direction now I like the upsides to an airdeck, and I suspect the boat will be easier and quicker to use on those occasions when I go out on my own. (fishing).. cheers, Mark
Fishing off one i would recomend a hard deck,somewhere hard to place your weight and hooks,bad enough with soft tubes and a soft floor,no way i would.
Old 18 August 2011, 16:36   #11

For fishing (and I doubt I'll be what one calls a serious fisherman), I was planning to plonk a piece of board or similar on the floor, and put something over the relevant part of the tube, such as old rug. Maybe that's naive
Old 18 August 2011, 17:01   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I find my SIB fine for solo fishing, but passersby tend to have a right old larf at me - I guess I look like a garden ornament...

You're only aware of it when in the SIB ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stippolyte View Post
Something else to consider. I've always used external tank, don't fancy having motor full of petrol in the garage, can always drain external into car with a funnel - 4 strokes only though !
Not sure what your worry about the motor full of fuel in the garage is (apart from it slowly going off). Turning a 4 stroke over to get fuel out the top is asking for sump oil in the cylinders I would think. Not sure if I jiggle syphon is practical at that scale but you should be able to rig something up with a modified fuel pump primer bulb and hose for the volumes involved [likewise if someone only has an internal tank and needs a "safe" way to refill at sea - it won't be automagic but it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general123 View Post
I was planning to plonk a piece of board or similar on the floor, and put something over the relevant part of the tube, such as old rug. Maybe that's naive
Someone on here uses some lino on a roll (with I think a batten to keep it all tidy - might even be Willk (if not he probably has the thread at his fingertips!)
Old 18 August 2011, 19:26   #13

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
The New Mercury/Mariner 6hp now has internal fuel tank.
FourStrokes 4 - 6 HP | Mercury Marine
Old 18 August 2011, 19:33   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
but passersby tend to have a right old larf at me - I guess I look like a garden ornament...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
You're only aware of it when in the SIB ?
I do find that fellow seafarers tend to treat me with a little more sobriety when I'm putting 600hp down through 10 meters of military grey

I could get to like that....
Old 18 August 2011, 19:40   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I do find that fellow seafarers tend to treat me with a little more sobriety when I'm putting 600hp down through 10 meters of military grey

I could get to like that....
You just can't hear it over the roar! You should have bought a Honda BF2 for T/T TBD you'd be deaf and never notice everyone else