Old 15 June 2007, 20:39   #1

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
4mtr Gemini Inflatable

I have just bought(won) this boat off eBay. Haven't even seen it yet though . It will need a bit of tidying up.

Does anyone know anything about these boats? The age etc. At a guess I'd say early 90's. I don't know whether its PVC, Hypalon or other material. Would be nice if it was hypalon tho.

Its a quite a big step from my last inflatable (2.9m dinghy). The ad said 50hp. But as its quite old, maybe this is too much. Would 25hp be enough?

This is not a type of hull i'm used to, but its not a V shape so how seaworthy is this type of boat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23ac_1.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	27729   Click image for larger version

Name:	2edb_1.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	27730  
Old 15 June 2007, 22:45   #2

Town: barnsley
Boat name: josea
Make: gemini waverider
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 75hp
Re- Gemini

hi samt
i own a gemini waverider 505 it is a 2002 model
which i find to be a very well built rib you may find some info here if it is the same gemini company.
http://www.gemini-inflatables.com/in...es/default.asp
hope this helps answer your questions
andy
Old 15 June 2007, 22:52   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I've seen a South African fully inflatable version of a Zapcat that has underslung sponsons like that. It was mad with a tiller steer Tohatsu 50. I suspect that will launch rather well off waves

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2007, 00:42   #4

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
That is a Gemini Surf and looks to be the 4.2m version. Very well built craft. You should have lots of fun with it.

http://www.gemini-inflatables.com/in....asp?boatID=36

http://www.racing-inflatables.com/surf.htm

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....ht=gemini+surf

If you do a search of "gemini surf" on ribnet, you'll find several threads that discuss them.
Old 16 June 2007, 09:40   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I would expect a 50 would be 'exciting'- mostly pointing to the sky until it picked up & you may need weight ( passenger ) in the bow to make it more controllable ?

Looks like great fun - i'd think 25 woudl be enough to scare you with the flat hull !
Old 16 June 2007, 10:51   #6

RIBase
Thanks for the responces...

I should pick it up next friday... hopefully it'll fold up and fit in the back of my car. I don't have a suitable trailer yet, but will hopefully be using a trailer in the future.

I'v got to find a suitable outboard now. Don't know if I'll be brave enough to put a 50 on the back. I think I'll go for a 25/30hp, two stoke of course.

The websites say its avaliable in both PVC and Hypalon. So I guess I'll find out when I get there.
Old 16 June 2007, 10:59   #7

Town: NE
Boat name: RedGazelle
Make: Gemini GRX420 SIB
Engine: Mariner 40 2s
Sam,
It is a Gemini Surf. Absolutely superb boats - gutted I didnt see it as I was after a second one!

Have owned a 4.2m GRX Surf since 2003, exceptional performance and just about manageable single-handed. The boats were built in PVC or hypalon so it could be either. Effectively it is a zapcat with a bow and a closed transom. This gives it a payload capacity up to about 900kg. Use mine for playing in surf and for expeditions. Have found it to be incredibly sea worthy.

The boat will run well with anything from 25-60+hp - it really depends what you want to do with it.. Currently running a 40hp which will take it to about 30kts.

The boat doesn't ride as a flat bottomed boat. All the lift is generated by the two tubes, giving a soft ride in big seas. Be careful in strong winds though - the boat is light enough to flip easily if not driven carefully into a head wind.

Anyway, got yourself a top boat there. Have messed about on ribs of all sizes, but I never seem to have as big a grin as when I beach the GRX!

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April Surf.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	27747  
Old 16 June 2007, 11:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by samt View Post
Thanks for the responces...

I should pick it up next friday... hopefully it'll fold up and fit in the back of my car. I don't have a suitable trailer yet, but will hopefully be using a trailer in the future.

I'v got to find a suitable outboard now. Don't know if I'll be brave enough to put a 50 on the back. I think I'll go for a 25/30hp, two stoke of course.

The websites say its avaliable in both PVC and Hypalon. So I guess I'll find out when I get there.

Have you an estate car? - the boat may claim to pack down, but the bundle is still pretty big...
Old 16 June 2007, 11:19   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Duck View Post
Have you an estate car? - the boat may claim to pack down, but the bundle is still pretty big...
well its a small estate car (vauxhall agila- I'v heard all the jokes at school before, but it was the only car that I could afford insurance on, and get my stuff in) , the seller sent me the rough packed dimensions, 1.5m by 1m by 1m does this sound right? It should just about fit. I may be able to use a citroen berlingo, but don't know yet. If I can, I'll try and borrow a trailer.

That picture looks awesome . I'm trying not to get too excited about boats at the moment, as I still have a couple more exams to do yet.
Old 16 June 2007, 11:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by samt View Post
well its a small estate car (vauxhall agila- I'v heard all the jokes at school before, but it was the only car that I could afford insurance on, and get my stuff in) , the seller sent me the rough packed dimensions, 1.5m by 1m by 1m does this sound right? It should just about fit. I may be able to use a citroen berlingo, but don't know yet. If I can, I'll try and borrow a trailer.

That picture looks awesome . I'm trying not to get too excited about boats at the moment, as I still have a couple more exams to do yet.
Those dimensions sound about right. As for a trailer, look for a zapcat trailer or you could get one made up relatively easily. Where are you in UK?

Good luck with the exams. PM if you have queries (boat related, not exam related!)

Ed
Old 16 June 2007, 12:02   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Those dimensions sound about right. As for a trailer, look for a zapcat trailer or you could get one made up relatively easily. Where are you in UK?

Ed
I'm in the midlands, so a good distance from the sea in all directions .

Quote:
Good luck with the exams. PM if you have queries (boat related, not exam related!)
Thanks, and will do
Old 16 June 2007, 12:22   #12

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F143828/

How about this to put on the back if your budget allows, would be perfect. If its a standard shaft off coarse, looks like.http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F140074/it or this would be even better.
Or on a tighter budget something like this Japanese mariner, had one myself and they are very reliable. http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F132908/
Old 16 June 2007, 14:54   #13

Sam,

I sure hope you'll keep us informed of your experiences once you pick up and use this boat. I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

This August, I'll be picking up a Gemini Dive 470, which is basically a 4.7m version of the surf with larger diameter main tubes (60 cm) and highjackers. I can hardly wait. I had ordered it almost a year ago, production has taken longer than normal because i specified 1670 dtx hypalon.

I had test drove a double skinned PVC version last summer (the dealer did not have a 4.2m surf at the time) and was blown away by the performance and construction quality of the craft. One thing you can see from the picture that you posted, Sam, is the thickness of that transom is far more beefy than that of any other brand of SIB I've seen.

The dealer did not have a 4.2m surf on hand at the time I was there, but told me that it performs more similarly to a zapacat than the 4.7m version. I was very tempted to go with the 4.2m surf since it is lighter and apparently a fair bit faster. Ultimately, I opted for the 4.7m since the extra capacitly would could be very handy for my applications, and I really don't needed to run zapcat racing speeds on the reef strewn rivers and lakes around here. Very fast (which the 4.7m should still provide), is good, but insanely fast like a zapcat, for me, is unnecessary (yet still good ).

Also coincidentally, last week I happened across a fellow who was selling a lightly used 40hp Yamaha short shaft 2 stroke (early 90s, I believe) for dirt cheap ($ 1400 CDN which I believe is about 650-700 British pounds). I had just picked it up yesterday and looks almost identical to the motors that Tims Osprey posted links to above. I am planning to run it later today on my 4.2 meter Zodiac Grand Raid SIB. Will let you know how that goes.

Ed the Duck,

I'm glad you saw this thread as well. You were extremely helpful to me last year in providing sage advice in selecting the particulars on my boat order. I was curious about that neoprene engine cover of yours that you had mentioned in this thread;

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19527

Do you find that it provides an appreciable sound dampening effect?
Old 16 June 2007, 17:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Ed the Duck,

I'm glad you saw this thread as well. You were extremely helpful to me last year in providing sage advice in selecting the particulars on my boat order. I was curious about that neoprene engine cover of yours that you had mentioned in this thread;

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19527

Do you find that it provides an appreciable sound dampening effect?
Prairie Tuber,
See above link for reply. Sorry for not replying sooner - work getting in the way of enjoying life.

Look forward to hearing of the 470 - don't think you'll regret waiting for the 1670dtex. It should last a lifetime!

Ed
Old 17 June 2007, 23:55   #15

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
You might be interested in a couple of posts about Gemini GRXs....

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1213

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1337
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2007, 02:08   #16

update

As I mentioned in my previoius post I had just acquired a used yamaha 40 hp 2 stroke. I took it out for the first time yesterday on the back of my 4.2 meter Zodiac SIB and once we got he trim setting sorted out, it worked great. As expected, it moved the boat much faster than the 25hp that I had been using up until now. What I didn't expect, was that with the 40hp, the boat handled much better, even at speeds faster than what the 25hp was capable of.

If you will be trailering the boat anyhow, I'd recommend going with the most powerful engine recommended by the manufacturer (also within weight limits). If you are setting up and taking the boat down with each use, I'd recommend going with the most powerful engine you can comfortably lift from car/truck onto boat & vice versa (within manufacturers limits, of course).
Old 18 June 2007, 23:28   #17

RIBase
bad news

Unfortunatly I was unable to complete the purchase.

Also looks like very little boating for me this season

Thanks for the input everyone, it all would have been very useful
Old 19 June 2007, 11:48   #18

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Was the boat not up to scratch then?
Old 19 June 2007, 16:07   #19