Originally Posted by Adamn
I have been reading this debate with interest?
I owned a Honwave 3.8IE with a Honda 20 4 stroke it weighed 46.5kg. It was very fast with one person in and comfortable with 2 to 3 in.
I have several questions I am sure people will be able to answer.
1. 2 strokes are much lighter than 4 strokes?
2. Sibs are generally lighter in build than they were?
3. Old engines were power rated to what they produced at source. Now the power is rated from the prop so an old 30 could have the same power as a new 25 at prop?
If these questions are right that may answer the lower power on newer boats.
1. Lighter and quicker on take up. Some low powered engines are closer in weight,
2. Generally but plenty of built like a tank old Avons around if you want to go down that route. Zodiac still make lots of heavier duty SIBs too. Endless choice out there for everyone.
3. I have read that but I think you have to go back a while.