Old 23 May 2018, 00:28   #1

Town: Consett
Length: no boat
3.2 or 3.8m sib

Quick question.....
Looking to buy first sib and i am currently looking at a honwave t38 or t32. (£11.00 difference between the two).
It will be used at sea, in a bay and coastal areas around the bay only. Mostly x2 adults, but sometimes just myself.
What im asking is....is the 3.8 too big for solo use, as in all the weight would be to the rear. Launching is not an issue as it would be stored literally 50m from a launch/slipway.
Old 23 May 2018, 04:58   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Bigger boat needs a bigger engine to match the performance. However, the general rule is smaller SIBs are easier to store, inflate, and launch, but bigger SIBs are better when you're out on the water!

3.8 metres is not huge or unwieldy for solo use. You'd store the anchor and safety gear forward to aid trim.

On the other hand, you could manage perfectly safely in most sensible conditions in a 3.1.

In your position, I would be inclined to go for the larger of the two options.
Old 23 May 2018, 06:25   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Mike's advice is about where I'd be... for £11 I'd get the 3.8... usually the 3.8 is £100 more. Many who have started with the Honwave 3.2 move on to a 3.8. The weight difference is very small in reality... 9kg more for the 3.8. You really feel 9kg extra with an outboard but less so with a SIB.

It is important to consider the outboard budget and what you can buy.... have you any thoughts in that direction?
Old 23 May 2018, 06:51   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
If you are 50m from launch with slipway available (and thus causing great envy to the rest of us!) then go big and hard floor for sure every time. As mentioned all SIBs need some weight up front be that people or gear so rig it with fuel/gear/anchor from midships to bow.
Old 23 May 2018, 08:45   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Simon..to add a little to what the others have said … and I agree with all comments .. in general the bigger a boat is ..the dryer it is ... and you feel more secure in it too

So because Brighouse bay is small..and you will want to explore the beautiful but very exposed coast just around the corner ...

And because strong tides run around Little Ross Island which is a lovely quiet spot for a picnic

Oh ..and because once in a blue moon ..huge sea creatures visit the area .. (sadly this one never left again)

And the lovely Islands of Fleet are very worthy of a visit ..

(Beware ..going south east of Kirkcudbright Bay you enter a restricted area of sea. I believe army tanks still fire shells into the sea there ... so make sure you know how to identify when its safe to cross that section)

As such ..I would not hesitate and get the bigger size. I know of someone who recently upgraded from from the 3.2 to the 3.8 and wished he did it from the start. Most 3.8 owners I know go solo so its certainly not an issue. That does not mean the 3.2 should not be considered for your use..its a great boat too and suited for the area you are using it. ..so its your choice.
Old 23 May 2018, 10:24   #6

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
3.8 would be the way to go maximum engine 20hp but the 3.2 is 15hp you don’t want to get it wrong and think should have gone bigger once your out there we all make that mistake as gurnard says the have all upgraded to the 3.8 so that must say something either way you go hope you enjoy [emoji41]
Old 23 May 2018, 15:26   #7

Town: St Albans
Boat name: Red Rum
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20A
Hi,

I started off with a 3.2M last year and upgraded to a 3.8M after our second outing as we wanted more space. For us we enjoy the extra space for when we have guests come out with us.

Hope this helps
Old 23 May 2018, 15:57   #8

Thank you for all the replies, really appreciated. Well, ive been lto ook at some and thought the 3.8 was a bit too big....
So, ive bought (buying...collecting tomorrow) a 3.2 and a honda 8hp. Both 3 years old, outboard just serviced qith extras including the transom wheels (alrady fitted), lifejackets, petrol can and lead, tiller extension, outboard stand, extra seat, bravo inflator and a few other bits....£1600.
I think that should be ok for what i need...i hope!
Ive already got some safety equipment anyway, which i use gor my sot kayak.
Cant wait.....
Old 23 May 2018, 16:15   #9

RibNet never fails! Ask a question - get loads of advice to buy the bigger boat.....and then buy the small boat!
Old 23 May 2018, 16:22   #10

I know i know......
Holds head in hands!!!
Old 23 May 2018, 16:34   #11

Don't worry - it was meant in jest! It happens all the time on here.

You'll have a great time with the 3.2 I'm sure and if (when ) you do decide to move up you'll be able to keep all the extras, even the wheels and sell on the boat/engine easily.
Old 23 May 2018, 17:10   #12

Oh well if you were going to go short that Honwave 3.2 would be my pick of all those available.

When you get out put some pics up on here.
Old 24 May 2018, 07:09   #13

Good luck with your new toys remember sib outing coming up soon you could pop up and join in just give us a shout oot
Old 24 May 2018, 08:09   #14

>>>extras including the transom wheels (already fitted), lifejackets, petrol can and lead, tiller extension, outboard stand, extra seat, bravo inflator and a few other bits.

Forgot to say well done on choosing an outfit with all those bits thrown in... when starting out it's so easy to buy a straight SIB/OB and then find it hard to understand how another £500 slips away getting those items.
Old 25 May 2018, 19:00   #15

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1973 View Post
I know i know......
Holds head in hands!!!
Don't worry: it won't be the last SIB you ever buy.
Old 25 May 2018, 19:51   #16

Amazing how it is different strokes for different folks. I bought a 3.2 about 18 months ago ish, I put it in water once and thought......I wouldn't leave the harbour in this thing so I sold it on within weeks of buying it after the grand total of 200 yards use, I wonder if I would have treated a 3.8 any differently?

I have full respect for you SIB guys brave enough to do some serious voyages in them.
Old 25 May 2018, 20:12   #17

It all depends on how comfortable you feel obviously it was not for you but one day it might be just keep trying [emoji41]
Old 25 May 2018, 20:48   #18

The Gurnard with his 2.75m Frib and 6hp is the ultimate size vs adventure so all respect him.

Prior to smallcraft boating I'd been lucky to be guest/friend/crew on much bigger craft up to 55ft and I must admit despite never fearing the sea it needed an attitude adjustment to being so close to the water.

However self and Mrs F will proceed in quite difficult conditions with total confidence... more so in a 3.8m sib than similar size grp craft. You are always aware of the reassuring buoyancy of a sib and with sensible helming they will make way through some pretty challenging sea conditions.

We will often find ourselves on bumpy transits where we are by far the smallest craft out there. Having said that we never take risks and always "passage plan" to try and avoid poor conditions.

Xk59D I reckon a few trips out with a competent sib skipper and you'd be saying now I get it... this is OK.
Old 25 May 2018, 20:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
It all depends on how comfortable you feel obviously it was not for you but one day it might be just keep trying [emoji41]
The cost of keep trying will pay for a couple of seasons of use for the big lilo
Old 25 May 2018, 20:51   #20

You need to go out with the gurnard he will soon sort you out [emoji23][emoji23]

Tags
sib