Old 31 January 2017, 23:27   #21

Town: flint
Make: quicksilver430
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard petrol
2 or 4 stroke

Thanks again for all the info looks like a 2st 25 hp will keep you all informed regards bobhar
Old 01 February 2017, 01:37   #22

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
I sold a small boat last year with a 20hp Honda, this was a fantastic little motor and even had powertrim. It was pretty easy to change the oil etc myself and ran all day on barely any fuel. 4 strokes are the way forward, sales clearly show this if nothing else.

The future of 2 strokes looks very grim if you look here http://www.boatsales.com.au/editoria...tboards-58526/ once one country starts something the others soon follow. The US is also soon to completely ban the use of lead products in the marine enviromeant, so no doubt we will have to follow suit there too http://www.boatsales.com.au/editoria...e-years-58546/

Jon
Old 01 February 2017, 08:14   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
4 strokes are the way forward,
in many ways I would agree, but...
Quote:
sales clearly show this if nothing else.
I'm not sure you can assume that because sales of a product that is no longer offered to the public in many countries has fallen that the alternative is an improvement.

The OP may actually be one of the few people who would benefit from a 2 stroke - if he plans to remove it from the transom for towing - as it can be laid down in "any" orientation without worrying about the sump oil. If he is looking 2nd hand he'll also find 4 strokes are heavier than 2 and this will be important if lifting the engine off. A couple of 20HP 4 strokes have caught up recently but too new to see them on the second hand market.
Old 01 February 2017, 08:52   #24

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
regarding the transport/lifting of the engine its worth looking at gurnards method a few extra kilos wont make much differance with that method its the awkwardness of a top heavy lump thats more the problem than the weight.
if he did go 4 stroke and laying it on the correct side is no big deal. suzuki have redesigned their small hp motors to lay on three sides now so i would say it will happen to all portable engines soon and other manufactures will follow suit.OMO
Old 05 February 2017, 06:52   #25

Town: Manchester
Make: Seapro
Engine: Mercury 2 stroke
Just got a nice second hand 4 stroke. Some great bargains out there at the moment.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	117910
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0223.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	117911
Old 05 February 2017, 17:35   #26

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Merseyboy, nice motor. If that's the one from the F-Ribs boyz then you've got a good-un. Enjoy.
Ran a Suzi DF20 for three years and best little motor I've owned.
Old 05 February 2017, 18:22   #27

Town: Manchester
Make: Seapro
Engine: Mercury 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Merseyboy, nice motor. If that's the one from the F-Ribs boyz then you've got a good-un. Enjoy.
Ran a Suzi DF20 for three years and best little motor I've owned.

It sure is Chipko, a big thanks to Martin from F-Ribs..cheers
Old 21 February 2017, 19:45   #28

Town: Benfleet
Make: Honda Honwave T40
Engine: Tohatsu 18 4 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Yes agreed one of the last of the 2-strokes will be ideal. I assume you are using a trailer with a 4.3m? If so a 20/25hp would be ideal and should easily come in budget.

I assume you are going to look privately on Ebay etc for an engine. If you have no experience of outboards take care to make sure you get a good one. There are plenty of great condition 2-stroke outboards about but a few dogs.

For your money before the season really gets going you should find a nice one as near to 2006 as possible with excellent cosmetics and a good sounding history from the seller who should be happy to demo in a tub of water. Tell the seller you'll want to see it started from cold (check it's cold by feeling under the cowl first and if they've pre-warmed it before you get there walk away) which it should do in 1-3 pulls. After a minute or two it should idle nicely with the choke returned. Check it pumps plenty of water from the tell tale. Look round the small details like shiny spark plugs free from rust... if someone can't be bothered to change those I'd worry about how it's been maintained.

Ask the seller what mixture it's been run on and ask to see the oil that's been used... hopefully you'll be shown a bottle of decent brand proper marine 2-stroke oil.

Bit like you would with a car... assess the seller as much as the outboard!

Here are a couple of examples of the type of condition I'd be looking for...

Yamaha 25hp Outboard Motor

Yamaha 25hp 2-stroke Shortshaft Outboard Motor

I prefer buying privately so would have been tempted by the second one... but I'd be factoring in its age which at 1996 is older than ideal but OK at the right price.
I got out bid on that Yam, really wanted it. Then a week later brought my Tohatsu. The very next day the seller contacted me saying the winning bidder had gone Awol and did I want it. GUTTED!
Old 22 February 2017, 00:38   #29

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
in many ways I would agree, but... I'm not sure you can assume that because sales of a product that is no longer offered to the public in many countries has fallen that the alternative is an improvement.

The OP may actually be one of the few people who would benefit from a 2 stroke - if he plans to remove it from the transom for towing - as it can be laid down in "any" orientation without worrying about the sump oil. If he is looking 2nd hand he'll also find 4 strokes are heavier than 2 and this will be important if lifting the engine off. A couple of 20HP 4 strokes have caught up recently but too new to see them on the second hand market.
Thats something I hadn't really thought about, I should think myself very lucky having done a 14000km trip with a roof top tin boat and a 9hp Yam 4 stroke lay on its side on the bed of the 4x4. Would all 4 strokes leak oil back? as apart from a blocked outlet pipe which was fixed by poking heavy fishing line up the pee pipe all was good. By the way it wasn't lay side ways but lay with the prop and exhaust facing down.

Cheers Jon
Old 22 February 2017, 07:30   #30
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Would all 4 strokes leak oil back? as apart from a blocked outlet pipe which was fixed by poking heavy fishing line up the pee pipe all was good. By the way it wasn't lay side ways but lay with the prop and exhaust facing down.
As far as I know all 4 stroke outboards on the market have this issue. The owners manual will tell you which side it can lie on [unhelpfully some don't seem to label the motor itself]. The bigger and heavier it is the more awkward it becomes to only lift/lie it one way. If you have plenty of flat storage space, it might not be an issue, if you are trying to squeeze it in you might have more headaches.
Old 22 February 2017, 07:35   #31

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Yep I have two of different makers and one lys on the handle the other doesn't
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:55   #32

I've never seen a 4 stroke without this quirk.

I think I read suzuki is releasing one that can lie on any 3 sides.

The normal seems to be lay on tiller side but check the manual.
Old 22 February 2017, 10:59   #33

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I've never seen a 4 stroke without this quirk.

I think I read suzuki is releasing one that can lie on any 3 sides.

The normal seems to be lay on tiller side but check the manual.
Suzuki launches new portable outboards - boats.com
Old 22 February 2017, 13:43   #34
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Ironically, its seems the one side it can't* be put on (prop side down) is how the bottom picture seems to be loading/unloading it from the car!

* assuming if it could they would say "any side" or "four sides"?
Old 22 February 2017, 14:21   #35

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Ironically, its seems the one side it can't* be put on (prop side down) is how the bottom picture seems to be loading/unloading it from the car!

* assuming if it could they would say "any side" or "four sides"?
how i look at it is the one side it isnt shown resting on in the top pic is the one it wouldnt balance on as the handle looks curved and not much to balance at the prop end.
i guess pulling it out of the car it would be natural to pull up side wards then twist so you pick it up with the handle and the clamp between the screws over the boot back if that makes sense.
Old 25 February 2017, 08:23   #36

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I think you will find that all the Yamaha range of portable 4 strokes can be put down on three sides...and this has been the case for a few years now ?

I know for certain that the Yamaha 6HP one I bough last year can. I don't think you would mistake the one side it cant be left on..as that side has a round lifting handle on it..so it would roll over.

Its got lifting handles on two sides..so a very well thought out outboard... that was the reason I decided on that brand.
Old 05 March 2017, 22:24   #37

Town: flint
Make: quicksilver430
Engine: outboard petrol
Hi found engine .30hp 2st down as 2006 but no serial no or id plate stamped on main engine is a number ON092180 can anybody help to id it its a mariner30 2st sh shaft Many thanks Bobhar