Old 14 August 2017, 11:22   #1

Length: 4m +
2 or 4 stroke and engine size

Hi Guys,

I'm new to all this forum and sib boating in general but fancy buying a boat and getting out on the water.

Anyway I think I'm going to buy a sea pro 430 HD and wondered what you guys thought would be best engine to buy

Its mainly going to be used for sea fishing out Filey, Scarborough and a bit further south..Hull, Grimbsy etc. Wouldn't be going to far offshore to start with. With that in mind I would also like something with a bit of poke for fun. At any one time sib will have 2 people on board..maybe 3.

I have option to buy a 2013 Evinrude 25HP Long shaft 2 stroke..would this be a suitable engine? If suitable what sort of price? I understand it has very little use and very low hours....Or should I be looking for a 4 stroke ??

My plan was to buy boat first then build it up over winter but if price is right will just buy both together.

Cheers
Old 14 August 2017, 12:16   #2
neo

Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by siksib View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm new to all this forum and sib boating in general but fancy buying a boat and getting out on the water.

Anyway I think I'm going to buy a sea pro 430 HD and wondered what you guys thought would be best engine to buy

Its mainly going to be used for sea fishing out Filey, Scarborough and a bit further south..Hull, Grimbsy etc. Wouldn't be going to far offshore to start with. With that in mind I would also like something with a bit of poke for fun. At any one time sib will have 2 people on board..maybe 3.

I have option to buy a 2013 Evinrude 25HP Long shaft 2 stroke..would this be a suitable engine? If suitable what sort of price? I understand it has very little use and very low hours....Or should I be looking for a 4 stroke ??

My plan was to buy boat first then build it up over winter but if price is right will just buy both together.

Cheers
i have a hydroforce sunsaile (Look it up for pictures) 3.8 mtr with oars, 2 seats, and infaltable floor with a 2stroke 15hp murcury (long shaft) also that will come with this is a brand new in the box liner (which is the boat apart from the floor, oars, and seats) so in affect you would be getting 2 boats one being brand new the other used about 15 times and an engine could use a mot but runs great and pushes it along very nicely with 2 adults and 2 kids the boat retails on amazon for 800 GBP for this package i am after 1,000 GBP
Old 14 August 2017, 18:22   #3

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Cheers
I think there's not many sibs that require a longshaft outboard you may struggle as most use a short shaft
Old 14 August 2017, 19:03   #4

cheers for the offer neo but quite fancy ali floor and the guy selling this only live 20m away but thanks anyway.

beerbelly - u think I should just go for for above mentioned outboard then?
Old 14 August 2017, 19:57   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
It will perform well with the evinrude around 22 knots @ WOT subject to weight, prop, etc
Old 14 August 2017, 20:30   #6

Ahh I see your a fellow Retfordian Jeff small world huh! So basically as long as price is right sounds like I'll be onto a winner.
Old 14 August 2017, 20:41   #7

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
I think the SeaPro 430hd takes a max 30hp long shaft motor, so the 25hp Etec will be a good match.
Are you thinking of trailering as at 115kg boat and 70kg engine it will be a big old beast to manhandle otherwise.
Old 14 August 2017, 20:53   #8

no trailer..I'll only be going out with my bro to begin with.
When you say a big old beast to manhandle 🙄..do you think 2 relatively fit guy (6 + footers and enjoy weight training at gym) would manage okay? I hoping where ever we launch from won't be to far from van. Was going to get some transom wheels and some sort of outboard motor pallet truck thing we can chuck in back of van aswell. Basically setup as close to water as poss then load up, bro can wait while I go park can up...but watch this space !
Old 14 August 2017, 21:05   #9

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Probably do-able for two depending on launch area. Good luck.
Old 15 August 2017, 08:49   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Ahh I see your a fellow Retfordian Jeff small world huh! So basically as long as price is right sounds like I'll be onto a winner.
It is a small world that will be a nice set up have a look at gurnards threads he has a similar set up he trails the boat but the engine travels on a sack barrow in the car

Quote:
no trailer..I'll only be going out with my bro to begin with.
When you say a big old beast to manhandle 🙄..do you think 2 relatively fit guy (6 + footers and enjoy weight training at gym) would manage okay? I hoping where ever we launch from won't be to far from van. Was going to get some transom wheels and some sort of outboard motor pallet truck thing we can chuck in back of van aswell. Basically setup as close to water as poss then load up, bro can wait while I go park can up...but watch this space !
Old 15 August 2017, 08:59   #11

cheers for advice Jeff I'll check it out 👍
Old 15 August 2017, 13:09   #12

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
If it was me I would be looking closely at the new Yam f25 All-New Lightweight F25 | Yamaha Motor Australia

Old 21 August 2017, 14:45   #13

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
I can single handedly manage the 47kg Honda 20hp so 2 big lads shouldn't have much problem with a 70kg weight, however, bear in mind one bloke will be taking 65kg of the weight and one bloke 5kg (who's carrying the engine end ;-)

I reckon it would be a dog getting on and off a SIB time and again and I reckon your setup time will be 1hr plus when you get to the water.

If going for that big a SIB and engine combo I'd seriously consider a trailer, I'd soon get very tired of the set up and hauling.
Old 21 August 2017, 15:41   #14

I ended up buying it Both boat and engine are immaculate I'll post some pics soon..the guy bought new and never used so think its just been sat in his garage for last few years...I'm really happy with it.

Outboard is pretty heavy but I manage to carry it buy myself..agree I wouldn't want to carry it more than couple of hundred metres tho so with 2 of us should be okay..and at worse we can swap having heavy end

Closer we can set up to the water the better I think but can see what you mean about a trailer..think we'll get a few outings under our belt and see how we get on.
Old 21 August 2017, 16:03   #15

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Quote:

Outboard is pretty heavy but I manage to carry it buy myself..agree I wouldn't want to carry it more than couple of hundred metres tho so with 2 of us should be okay..and at worse we can swap having heavy end
Remind me never to spill your pint, if you can lump a 70kg motor on your own a couple hundred meters you're a bigger lad than me ;-)

Good luck, sounds like a great set up you have there!
Old 21 August 2017, 17:44   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I ended up buying it Both boat and engine are immaculate I'll post some pics soon..the guy bought new and never used so think its just been sat in his garage for last few years...
he probably put his back out when he unloaded it and has never been able to try again. Good luck with it, be especially careful if trying to lift it from pontoon to boat or vice versa.
Old 21 August 2017, 18:03   #17

ha cheers guys tbf I was gunna buy a sack truck and bolt a bit of wood on to it and mount outboard to it so I can lump it about..also use it to store in garage (also chuck in back of van)
Old 21 August 2017, 19:20   #18

RIBase
With a decent sack barrow it's all doable the big problem is getting your boat to and from the water when it's set up the engine is no problem. A launch trolley might be better for the boat if your not going to trail but as you say give it a go first. I trail mine it's in the water in 2 mins same out all the kit stays inside the boat and engine bolted on permanent for what's it's worth my boat weighs in at 120 kg engine at 61 kg on their own with two people it's manageable but on a beach rough ground no room for error one slip could ruin your day.
Old 25 August 2017, 06:34   #19

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
My advice is keep searching ebay and gumtree for a trailer once you have one you wont regret it

Dennis
Old 25 August 2017, 13:33   #20

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Grey Reef
Make: Smartwave
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20E EPTL
I prefer to use a trailer with my T40. So much easier having it all ready to go and then backing it straight in instead of faffing about at the water side.