Old 15 April 2013, 18:23   #1

2.6 SIB - Cornwall... Help =]

Hi all, I would like to start by stating I am very new to this world (about 2 months in) and only found this forum today!

Ive always fancied a boat for local riverways etc, so I saw a cracking begginers deal from an outlet and invested in an Wetline Eco 260. I have a 4hp Evinrude twin cylinder outboard for it.

I have done quite a few trips now along the local river where there is no licence required etc, and thoroughly loving it! Comfortable with launching from the side of banks etc where required and controlling the boat nicely.

I am off to Cornwall in a few weeks time for a weeks break, staying around the Falmouth area, and would love to take the boat down there too!

I have been looking at the Carrick Roads & Helford River as sections near to Falmouth that could be a great explore...

My question is, does anyone know if what I have (boat and engine) would be suitable for this? A mate who has been an avid small boater for years now says mine should be more than capable of popping off around the headland (not far out to see) into places like Maenporth etc, but to be honest Im a bit wary of that due to how it wont even plane with 2 people in it...

So really, is this a good idea? Or should I keep my SIB? at home and stick to local puddles?

If it is a good idea, does anyone have any great ideas for places I can park the car up and launch for a day out?

Thanks for accepting me in advance! I would like to point out I do intend on investing in bigger Sibs / Ribs as soon as funds allow, but that wont be for a while yet. Need to get the g/f confident in my little'un first!
Old 15 April 2013, 19:09   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Welcome to Ribnet

Your mate is a dangerous pratt.You sound far more sensible than he is.
It can get pretty lumpy in Carrick Roads if the wind's in the wrong direction and 2.6m with 4hp is a very small boat that's easy to turn over.
I wouldn't try to go round any headlands with it either.

However, there's lots of the Fal and the Helford that it'll be fine in.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2013, 19:31   #3

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Likewise, I'd avoid Carrick Roads in a small SIB, unless absolutely flat calm with no chance of wind! It's a relatively long stretch of water, so conditions can get quite challenging given certain weather/tide.

You could possibly launch at Mylor Yacht Harbour and have a little journey up the sheltered Mylor Creek.

Think there's a club/haven at Malpas, which is on a lovely sheltered stretch of the River Fal/Truro River. Or possibly at Truro itself, although when we took the yacht up there year before last, don't remember seeing a slipway to launch at - suppose you could just lower it down the wall though.

In Helford, then Helford River Sailing Club (South side) and Port Navas Sailing Club (North side) both have good access to the river, which as long as the wind isn't howling straight down it, provides a reasonably sheltered place. But we have had some rather wet journeys in our Avon Redcrest crossing from Port Navas back to the Helford River club when the wind is directly along the river!

Regards,

Paul
Old 15 April 2013, 22:23   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I live on the Helford, but originate from Penryn, so I suppose I'm fairly well qualified on this one.

Your rig is fine to explore the Helford, launch at either the Ferryboat (£10charge) or Durgan (Free). You'd be OK to venture a little out into the Bay in fine weather in the Summer months, I wouldn't attempt a Bay crossing.

Likewise, a Mylor launch would allow you to perhaps hop around the creeks in nice weather. St.Mawes could possibly be a push too far unless, conditions were utterly benign.
Old 15 April 2013, 22:31   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meth View Post
I would like to point out I do intend on investing in bigger Sibs / Ribs as soon as funds allow, but that wont be for a while yet.
that's at least half the people on here!

Quote:
Need to get the g/f confident in my little'un first!
don't scare the bejesus out of her on any 'adventures' because from what I can tell when you say, "it would have been fine in a bigger boat" she will hear "a bigger boat can go in bigger waves and be even scarier" rather than "lets upgrade"...
Old 27 April 2013, 22:00   #6

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Soul Asset
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 60efi 4str
MMSI: 235084484
I'd suggest that for starters you make your way to Loe Beach in Feock. You'll find it on an OS explorer map - about 5 miles from Truro - a couple of miles past the King Harry Ferry turning. Assuming you have the boat in a bag, all it will cost you is about £2 to park for the day. You are right on a relatively sheltered shingle beach and very close to the entrance to the river and several creeks with not much open water to worry about. lots of folk including me launch kayaks from there. Only time to avoid is a strong SE blow which would chop things up too much.
Enjoy your stay down here and PM me if you need any more info.
Old 28 April 2013, 12:04   #7

Town: Peterborough
Boat name: Swift Sarah
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: Mariner 30hp
Just be careful of swans. I hear they can be a threat to small inflatables with your size outboard inland!
Old 28 April 2013, 13:54   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbavvo View Post
Just be careful of swans. I hear they can be a threat to small inflatables with your size outboard inland!
No sh1T? I'd take a sturdy boathook along then. Good eating on those yokes!
Old 28 April 2013, 18:26   #9

Cheers for all the advice guys! Really appreciated! Will be looking into possible trips over the next few days now I have a good idea of whats about!

Also, i now have wheels, so I can walk around evil swans without having to batter with an oar