Old 23 July 2012, 14:52   #11

Length: 3m +
I was very tempted to bid on that motor myself but already have a tohatsu 16 that Im going to use for this summer then maybe upgrade next year as I bought my honwave new a few months back so have to do things in stages or the misses will moan at me spending too much dosh?!

Looks like you had a bargain there though mate. My honwave t38 goes pretty well with my old HEAVY tohatsu 16 so yours should fly!

I live quite close to you. Drop me a pm if you ever fancy going out on both boats, safety in numbers and all that!

Salty

Old 24 July 2012, 10:52   #12

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: gnasher
Make: sr5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: hidea 5 yam 90
i have a 2stroke 15 hp on a 3m boat 5hp over the limit but a 3.1m boat can take a 15 ??? yep i went through the same worries.... i have just managed to clock 24.9mph with 2 of us on and sat well up front, the scary bit was i could have turned a little bit more ;-O but bottled out due to the constraints of the water, it was the acceleration bit that took me by suprise . make sure you use a tiller extension and a life vest/bouyancy aid and turn the dial slowlllllyyyyy

Old 25 July 2012, 22:09   #13
MEE

Town: Jacksonville, Florida
Boat name: Blue Bomber
Make: Bombard
Engine: Outboard Nissan 8hp
How old are the glue joint on the transom? I am restoring my older bombard and i was surprised. ... well shocked .... in how easy it was to peel the transom mounts from the tubes. If they are over ten years old i would check them closely before you stress them to there design limits on the water. Just sayn.
Old 27 July 2012, 03:39   #14

Town: Wrexham
Thanks guys,

Salty I'll PM you when I fancy a boating convoy, cheers!

Boat is about 8 years old but the engine didn't seem to put much strain on it last night on first try.

So first time out, just for a quick hour. Managed 22 mph on the GPS, that's with 25 stone of human and about 5 stone of gear/fuel.

Trim needs looking at, took on quite a bit of water from the engine splash. Would anything else cause this??

Felt safe the entire time even at full throttle but couldn't keep full throttle for long because of the splash problem.
Old 27 July 2012, 04:51   #15
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmrich View Post
Trim needs looking at, took on quite a bit of water from the engine splash. Would anything else cause this??
Height. It's a common enough problem. You could try raising the engine on the transom a bit, if there is enough play. Put a piece of timber under the saddle.
Old 27 July 2012, 05:05   #16

How much height are we talking? An inch or so?

Thanks
Old 27 July 2012, 05:12   #17
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
As much as you can get while still having enough bracket securely clamped to the transom! It will probably end up as no more than an inch, but take as much as you can get. I think the problem is that these little boats are quite shallow transomed and some small outboards are quite "leggy" so sit a bit lower than is optimal. If you have much room to lift it, make sure that the
anti ventilation plate remains below the keel.

I raised mine about 30mm and it helped, but did not remove the problem totally.
Old 27 July 2012, 05:20   #18

Ok thanks for the advice. Yeah the problem is probably the 17inch leg compared to the 15 on my small 4 stroke. I'll experiment with pieces of timber for the next trip.
Old 30 July 2012, 12:00   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmrich View Post
Thanks guys,

Salty I'll PM you when I fancy a boating convoy, cheers!

Boat is about 8 years old but the engine didn't seem to put much strain on it last night on first try.

So first time out, just for a quick hour. Managed 22 mph on the GPS, that's with 25 stone of human and about 5 stone of gear/fuel.

Felt safe the entire time even at full throttle but couldn't keep full throttle for long because of the splash problem.

My Honwave has got some little triangular flaps either side of the outbord that attach to the top of the transom and tubes. Apparently this is to reduce water splashing over the transom. I dont seem to get much water in mine apart from if you come of the plane too fast and get a big surge of water, so maybe they do actually work?

Maybe you could cobble something similar up?
Old 30 July 2012, 12:53   #20

Yea I've seen them on other SIBs and wondered if that's what they're for.

I'll try the blocks of wood to raise the transom an inch or so and if it's still spraying I'll look into that.

Saying that, the majority of the water appeared to be coming from directly between the clamps..