Old 08 December 2010, 16:40   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I don't know about regulations in your area, but I would have thought that insurance would be a good idea to protect both yourself and your boat. Imagine accidently hitting someone out swimming, whilst your'e bombing about. Unfortunately in this day and age of culpability and ambulance chasers, you'd be on a hiding to nothing without insurance to pay the damages that people claim even for the merest accident. Even one of your own passengers could sue you for damages if they fell out
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 December 2010, 17:07   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
as we launch with transom wheels over the beach and the boat is small with a 10 hp i dont have insurance. is this really a problem?
as others say hitting someone in the water is a risk. As could potentially hitting another vessel or forcing another vessel to take avoiding action (say a boat runs aground rather than hit you - they may have a claim). However even if you ignore those third party risks, then a 10-15HP engine and SIB are rather easy to nick, and hitting an object in the water could easily cause massive damage to your boat or engine leg - which may make a policy seem worthwile. I'd guess the annual premium would be around 100 or maybe less.
Quote:
if we do use a slipway occasionaly the insurance has been included in our launch fee
I've never heard of that. I do know many slipways insist on insurance.
Old 08 December 2010, 19:24   #13

Town: taunton
Make: zodiac
Engine: 10hp
bristol harbour, with access to the severn estury and several miles inland , 5.00 launch fee with full insurance cover. somewhere else we launched was the same also.

the whole point of the the boat was a bit of cheap fun really. after the insurance they will want sea tax next. i never launch near swimers, and am strugling to see how much damage i can do to another boat with my small soft inflatable. i had not considered fully comp, for self inflicted damage to my boat though. i just assumed 3rd party only, and you forked out for your own damage. i met a few people with small boats like mine this year and none had insurance. just thought it was for much bigger boats. who are the cheapest companies offering boat insurane?
Old 09 December 2010, 03:28   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
bristol harbour, with access to the severn estury and several miles inland , 5.00 launch fee with full insurance cover. somewhere else we launched was the same also.

the whole point of the the boat was a bit of cheap fun really. after the insurance they will want sea tax next. i never launch near swimers, and am strugling to see how much damage i can do to another boat with my small soft inflatable. i had not considered fully comp, for self inflicted damage to my boat though. i just assumed 3rd party only, and you forked out for your own damage. i met a few people with small boats like mine this year and none had insurance. just thought it was for much bigger boats. who are the cheapest companies offering boat insurane?
If you search here for insurance you'll find various companies recommended. Porthcawl will be a common theme amongst them. Porthcawl's on-line arm is at insurance4boats.co.uk (I think I've remembered that right - but if not google will find insurance 4 boats) - you can get an instant quote there - whereas many others will need to you to call them or email them details.
Old 09 December 2010, 04:13   #15

Town: taunton
Make: zodiac
Engine: 10hp
thanks, will take a look
Old 09 December 2010, 04:27   #16

Town: Bury
Boat name: O' ALCHEMY
Make: Honwave 3.8 IE
Engine: Honda 15hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235905781
Hi Dogboy,

My insurance costs me less than 60/annum with Navigators & General.
This gives me:-
3,000,000 liability cover

Fully comp cover on the Boat, Trailler and eqiupment so obviously loss through accident, fire and theft is covered.

Engine recovery in case it falls off.

I'm even covered while towing the thing so that if the trailler should break free and causes an accident thats covered.

Legal services and much more.

at the end of the day look at it this way, If some halfwit driving a car and smashes in to you, how will you feel if they are not insured? Probably lots of feelings but skint will be one of them.

Funny thing with accidents is that people who have them always say that they didn't think it would happen to them......unfortunately it can, and often does even if its not your fault.

Best wishes

Jake
Old 09 December 2010, 06:28   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Porthcawl's on-line arm is at insurance4boats.co.uk (I think I've remembered that right - but if not google will find insurance 4 boats) -
I remembered wrong it should have been http://www.insurance-4-boats.co.uk - shop around the link I gave you will take you to another site which is more expensive. Jake's price seems good - worth checking if engine legs are covered etc. With an easily slashed SIB I'd also want cover for vandalism if I was ever going to leave it out of sight.

However bringing us back on topic - various people here claim to have over engined their boats without an objection from an insurer. Not sure if any of them have ever made a claim.
Old 09 December 2010, 07:18   #18

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
As an experiment I used the Noble Online Quote page, and increaced the engine size on my imaginary 4m Sib to 200 Hp before I got a "please phone us to discuss" message.

The implication is they would accept my hypothetical 4m / 199 Hp boat and insure it without further question. Granted, I haven't read the small print......
Old 09 December 2010, 08:22   #19

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
One of my old insurance policys in the 1980,s said that i could use what ever size engine i wanted on the boat as long as it wouldent go above 17 knots then a Speed boat clause would be added .
Old 09 December 2010, 18:41   #20

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
I have a 2005 20hp yamaha 2 stroke, 49kg's, same as the 25hp unit they once sold in size and weight. Good engine, fuel usage is minimal....

Insurance for anything will not save you, stop an accident, save your kit or cost you less money. It will cost you more money, in the long run, but will act as a buffer reducing your liability to paying out large amounts of money in one go..... Insurance is not a legal for UK sea's ..... and long may it stay that way....