Old 18 July 2011, 23:08   #21

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
The problem I have seen with this thin rope stuff is that the layers dig into themselves on the winch drum, then its difficult and sometimes nigh on impossible to pull the rope out again
It has to be tight on the drum - if the lower layers are wound on loose then upper layers under a lot of tension then yes it does do that. Should not be an issue if you wind the whole rope on under load the first time then wind it on under load when you are pulling the boat on, which is presumably what most people do. I've not had the problem on my boat winch, but I have 10mm rope on my LR winch and it is a known issue with synthetic rope but the solution is relatively straightforwards.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2011, 04:17   #22

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
It has to be tight on the drum - if the lower layers are wound on loose then upper layers under a lot of tension then yes it does do that. Should not be an issue if you wind the whole rope on under load the first time then wind it on under load when you are pulling the boat on, which is presumably what most people do. I've not had the problem on my boat winch, but I have 10mm rope on my LR winch and it is a known issue with synthetic rope but the solution is relatively straightforwards.
Yep, that's my experience
Old 24 July 2011, 09:33   #23

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quick update. Made the return journey home yesterday and the winch-strap
is still intact.

One thing I did notice - is that the Rapide trailer has a metal flange (top and bottom) that the strap passes through that it could potentially touch, depending on the bow angle. I've also noticed the front bow roller (nut-weld) has split, which might account for the boat moving during towing. It hasn't completely broken - but when I adjusted the bow roller - I can't tighten it fully as it will break. I padded the winch-strap with foam padding to stop any chaffing against the trailer flange. I'll call RIBcraft - to see what the say about the nut on the trailer, and if I can get it repaired locally.