Old 10 July 2011, 19:33   #11

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I can't disagree with you on anything you said there at all. What I am saying is that even if the breaking strain is down to 500kg, you shouldn't be able to break the winch strap if you're driving properly to the road conditions-Ie, not accelerating like an F1 car. If you don't notice the trailer, it doesn't mean you have to drive as though it's not there
I mostly tow with a Tdi Defender 110 so losing the boat off the back is not gonna be due to the acceleration

What about hitting a big pothole you didn't see / couldn't miss? No idea how much of a jerk this would put on anything but it does make things bounce!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2011, 16:05   #12

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
What about hitting a big pothole you didn't see / couldn't miss? No idea how much of a jerk this would put on anything but it does make things bounce!
I suspect the strap was either too tight, or I hit a pothole? The roads over are looking worse for wear after two severe winters and little or no repair or maintenance. I'm towing with a A4 2.5 TDi V6 quattro, but I drive like Miss Daisy most of the time!

I'll look at rigging it a different way on the return leg - so that the strain isn't on the strap. I've simply cut off the broken strap and cut back 12" or so and tied it onto the stainless-steel catch so I can continue to use it.

Old 11 July 2011, 17:58   #13

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I have never had a winch strap break, so far, and I tow some fairly long distances. For example in the last 10 weeks I have towed from Oban to Hull and back, from Oban to Whithorn and back and from Oban to Orkney and back. These journeys are not unusual.
However my winch strap is only for winching, when launching and recovering my front ratchet strap is removed/fitted while the boat is still in the water on the trailer and never before backing in for launching or before pulling up the slip.
There is a ratchet strap through the U bolts on the stern to the trailer at all times on the road as well.
There is no point having suspension on the trailer if the boat is bouncing up and down on the rollers, mine is ratcheted down tight. I don't think you could get tight enough with a rope to stop movement and ratchets are the answer.
They are also quick to fit and take off so help speed things up...........
Old 12 July 2011, 10:53   #14

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I'll look at rigging it a different way on the return leg - so that the strain isn't on the strap.
I suspect (and this is just a guess) that your problem isn't so much direct loading as it is loading due to bounce. I know my boat, if not secured downwards at the bow, will tend to bounce on the bow stop by two or three inches on a "normal" road (normal being California normal, which leaves a bit to be desired in these poor economic days.) I can only imagine the varying tension being exerted on the strap. So, I now use the winch strap to pull the bow snug to the stop, attach a safety chain and shorten it up a bit (I'll try and remember to get a pic of the that), and use a ratchet strap to tie the bow down to the trailer.

Quote:
I've simply cut off the broken strap and cut back 12" or so and tied it onto the stainless-steel catch so I can continue to use it.
Use a sewing awl or a sailmakers needle, sail palm, and heavy thread, and stitch it back together. Knots seriously degrade the breaking strength of any sort of line or webbing.

You have a stainless hook on your winch strap? I'd love to get one, but they're pretty pricey. I've rigged my strap up for quick replacement of a normal galvanized gated hook, as they tend to rust up pretty quickly.

jky
Old 12 July 2011, 16:27   #15

Dyneema is still better in every respect

Old 13 July 2011, 02:23   #16

Town: Brockenhurst
Boat name: Fizz
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Outboard 50hp
MMSI: 235071207
Perhaps a daft question but if I was to replace my current winch strap with dyneema rope how does it attach to the winch? The current strap is looking a bit tired and does tend to twist when I'm winching in.
Thanks
Neil
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2011, 06:27   #17

Very easy - most 'proper' flat winch straps attach to the winch with approx a 6mm bolt which goes right through the drum near the middle and goes through a sewn eye in the end of the winch strap. Take bolt out and throw it away, feed the end of the Dyneema through the 6mm ish hole where the bolt was so the end is sticking out the side of the drum and put a knot in it - job done

The only other thing you need to do is that if you regularly use a lot less than the full length of rope to winch your boat in, then you need to wind the bottom layers on under a bit of tension. You can of course buy as much or as little as you need (unlike straps which are usually 7m with a sewn eye in the end) and splicing the hook end is dead easy as well, 10 minute job to do a professional splice and you can undo the splices relatively easily if you need to change the hook.

Old 13 July 2011, 14:00   #18

Town: Brockenhurst
Boat name: Fizz
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Outboard 50hp
MMSI: 235071207
Thanks very much - I will investigate.
Cheers
Neil
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2011, 13:01   #19

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
You have a stainless hook on your winch strap? I'd love to get one, but they're pretty pricey. I've rigged my strap up for quick replacement of a normal galvanized gated hook, as they tend to rust up pretty quickly.

jky
Apologies... galvanised (not stainless)... much cheapness hook.
Old 18 July 2011, 12:24   #20

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
sounds like winch strap not tight enough .... and may have loosened on the trip as strap settled on drum. As soon as its loose then continual shock loadings from a bouncing boat front end on the strap is gonna see it off. The problem I have seen with this thin rope stuff is that the layers dig into themselves on the winch drum, then its difficult and sometimes nigh on impossible to pull the rope out again