Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 July 2012, 07:38   #1
Member
 
tacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 55
Winch correct?

Just got first RIB, Zodiac 4.2, and not used her yet. But looking at winch arrangement - see pictures - seems to me that as the boat goes back into the water, the winch handle turns (there's no 'neutral') and in this case is hitting the boat so won't allow it to reverse off.

So my question is, do I need to move the whole winch frame forward, (and snubber backward) or get a much shorter winch handle - or am I missing something ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-578936299.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	69863   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4035013164.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	69864  
__________________

__________________
tacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2012, 07:47   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: surrey
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 322
you need to adjust the rubber fender snub out so that the winch and handle are further away from the boat. At the moment the winch strap ring and handle are way to close to the boat in that position. You may need to move the winch frame forward as pushing the snubber fender out will push the rib further down the trailer.
__________________

__________________
wellhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2012, 07:49   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacker View Post
Just got first RIB, Zodiac 4.2, and not used her yet. But looking at winch arrangement - see pictures - seems to me that as the boat goes back into the water, the winch handle turns (there's no 'neutral') and in this case is hitting the boat so won't allow it to reverse off.

So my question is, do I need to move the whole winch frame forward, (and snubber backward) or get a much shorter winch handle - or am I missing something ?
Yes. Either slacken the winch line first and push the boat back by hand 'til it takes up the slack (make SURE the winchratchet will stop any more line paying out when you push the boat back or the winch handle will break your arm as it starts to spin)

Or...
Get the boat in position with the trailer as far in as feasable without getting the car wet, disconnect winch strap, push boat into water holding the painter

Personally, I'd far rather not have the winch connected while the boat goes off the trailer. I've taken a whack from a spinning handle once. It's not happening EVER again- I was lucky not to have broken bones.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2012, 07:51   #4
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Move the rubber snub futher away from the winch to give you the clearance you need. Obviously that will push the boat back so you might have to move the whole winch assembly forwards on the drawbar to get the boat sitting correctly.
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2012, 07:51   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellhouse View Post
you need to adjust the rubber fender snub out so that the winch and handle are further away from the boat. At the moment the winch strap ring and handle are way to close to the boat in that position. You may need to move the winch frame forward as pushing the snubber fender out will push the rib further down the trailer.


Ahhh.... didn't spot the adjuster on the snubber 1st time.

Yes, the snubber needs to be further away.

What I said about not winching the boat off the trailer still stands though.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2012, 08:01   #6
Member
 
tacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 55
Cheers - understood. If boat moves further back on trailer though, I am going to get a fitting-in-the garage issue! So will have to make adjustment each time.
__________________
tacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2012, 08:11   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacker View Post
Cheers - understood. If boat moves further back on trailer though, I am going to get a fitting-in-the garage issue! So will have to make adjustment each time.
As Hightower says move the winch nearer the tow hitch and the snubber further out so that the boat doesn't need to move but you will have more clearance and it will still fit the garage without adjustment each time.
__________________
EnglishLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2012, 08:20   #8
Member
 
tacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLes

As Hightower says move the winch nearer the tow hitch and the snubber further out so that the boat doesn't need to move but you will have more clearance and it will still fit the garage without adjustment each time.
Got it! Cheers.
__________________

__________________
tacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.