Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 15 June 2011, 04:38   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
The op was kind of in two parts-

Auto- towing?
Auto- Recovering?

In my opinion, as said, having one of each.

Auto- towing? Yes, for sure.
Auto- recovering? If traction is a real problem, a manual gives more driver control, so edges it.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 13:03   #32
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinesafety View Post
That comment reminds me of one a police-man made after my 80 year old Grandmother drove her car into a ditch (after being driven into the side of) at a very well known accident blackspot: "there's nothing wrong with this junction. It's the drivers"
It's true though.You wouldn't do 30 knots in Newtown Creek in the dark with no idea how much water there is.
It's beyond me why drivers insist on driving so fast into a situation that they can't react or stop in time to avoid an accident.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 17:22   #33
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
It's true though.You wouldn't do 30 knots in Newtown Creek in the dark with no idea how much water there is.
It's beyond me why drivers insist on driving so fast into a situation that they can't react or stop in time to avoid an accident.
'Cos they have ABS, airbags and insurance, and are therefore invincible
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2011, 06:18   #34
RIBnet supporter
 
Jizm's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,803
I've had a couple of autos now and yes they are nice and easy to tow with. However I've found on quite a few that when you towing at cruising speed 50-60 mph it's usually right where the gearbox is going into overdrive. So I get this bloody annoying thing with the box dropping down etc all the time.
Maybe I've just been unlucky or perhaps should try towing much faster!
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2011, 08:36   #35
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cotswolds
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 118
As my auto rangie has the ability to select 8 forward and 2 reverse gears manually, I see no advantage in having a manual over an auto. I did my BORDA quals. in an auto rangie which walked all over a manual defender on the same course (mind you the 5ltr v8 helped )

ref. reliability - yes LRs can be a bit ropey but I have owned 3 rangies / one freelander / one LR and all have been absolutely fine...

of course if you need to put a vehicle down a slipway get a Toyota like the one on Top Gear when they parked it upside down in the water through a tide and it still started!

Alasdair
__________________
akirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2011, 09:17   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by akirk View Post
As my auto rangie has the ability to select 8 forward and 2 reverse gears manually, I see no advantage in having a manual over an auto.
Here's how it works. Take a very slippery slope, ice or slimey weed type thing. When trying to pull away uphill on such a surface, trying not to break traction is critical. A 4x4 manual will allow the driver to select 1st low and very gently feed the clutch into barely any revs, tickover sometimes. This gives the best chance of not breaking traction.
An auto however, doesn't allow this. By the time that the torque converter is spun up enough to begin driving the wheels, there's way too many revs on which can result in broken traction, spinning wheels.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2011, 18:47   #37
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cotswolds
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 118
I agree with the theory - but would say in practice that it has not been a problem - I have driven it up icy hills / snowy hills / slippery grass hills etc. - yes, a manual gear box should offer a better solution - but very often drivers don't have the skill to feed the power in slowly enough - often the comfort / skill level of the driver is the determining factor...

Alasdair
__________________
akirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2011, 21:21   #38
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
I think it is fair to say that just about anything automatic (gearbox, anti lock brakes, traction control, maybe cruise control) is better than the average driver so is better than say 90% of drivers at doing what it does, but not as good as the other 10% that really know what they are doing.
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2011, 20:38   #39
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonmark35 View Post
Cool markg - pleased for you.

So in the end auto better than manual for towing?
you appear to know everything, decide for yourself
__________________
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 03:51   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cotswolds
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I think it is fair to say that just about anything automatic (gearbox, anti lock brakes, traction control, maybe cruise control) is better than the average driver so is better than say 90% of drivers at doing what it does, but not as good as the other 10% that really know what they are doing.
Agreed - but lets not also forget that other 10% will at times be tired / distracted / make mistakes...

so for my choice - auto works well... but there will always be those who are a joy to watch in knowing how to handle machinery - for them a manual makes sense

Alasdair
__________________

__________________
akirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.