Old 16 July 2007, 21:17   #1

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Which boat trailer

Hi guys,

I am looking for a new boat trailer. any suggestions welcome, especially suppliers with good web sites.

Boat is 7.5m with outboard and canopy.

thks
Old 16 July 2007, 21:21   #2

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Look for a trailer that sits as low as possible. Lower boat equals easy launch and recovery and best stability when towing. Even a few inches makes a difference.

Then add bearing savers and flush adaptors.

Other than that, your choice!
Old 16 July 2007, 21:36   #3

Length: 6m +
I've always quite liked Rapide trailers.

I'd avoid Indespension, as I don't like their roller assembly; I've found it prone to failure.

De Graff look good, but for some reason I don't like the keel rollers, not sure why that bothers me! I've used Tim M's De Graff (for sale at a good price!) quite a bit, and despite the wheels being a bit too far apart, it does tow very nicely, and launching and recovery has always been quite easy.

CAN trailers - speak to Nos4r2 before even considering them

Hayling Trailers have always done us proud on the dinghy front, not sure how they'd be with a rib trailer
Old 17 July 2007, 05:30   #4

Town: Fareham
admilral do a nice simple range of rollercoaster trailers at good prices. Hitch lock and bearing savers, spare carrier and Rod breaking system (keeps cables to the absoloute minimum length) and taper rollers.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2007, 09:58   #5

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I've always quite liked Rapide trailers.

I'd avoid Indespension, as I don't like their roller assembly; I've found it prone to failure.

De Graff look good, but for some reason I don't like the keel rollers, not sure why that bothers me! I've used Tim M's De Graff (for sale at a good price!) quite a bit, and despite the wheels being a bit too far apart, it does tow very nicely, and launching and recovery has always been quite easy.

CAN trailers - speak to Nos4r2 before even considering them

Hayling Trailers have always done us proud on the dinghy front, not sure how they'd be with a rib trailer

I'd second that for the Rapide trailers. Been very happy with mine (R2B49) and is built really well. Only criticism I would have is the bowden cable seems to get stretched if you do a lot of reversing (mine got stuck on a beach last week and was a lot of agressive forward / reverse movement to get it out) and brake setup needs checked before travelling. Dixonbate have just launched a new website which makes it easier to get spare parts. Can be serviced at std indespension / hallmark dealers. They are also really helpfull on the phone. I believe it's one of the few trailers with disk brakes. http://www.dixonbate.co.uk/powerboat/rapide_roller.asp

RE indespension trailers breaking, We've just been on holiday with friends with a 3 month old indespension trailer who had 2 rear roller brackets snap. Boat is well within weight limits for the trailer. The roller brackets (piece of metal with roller on each end) are aluminium rather than steel and are drilled to mount onto the trailer and seems to be a weak point. Indespension did replace them without any problem tho. I think the plan is to replace the complete roller assembly with snipe / dixon bate which will give a really solid trailer. The boats do sit a bit lower on indespension trailers than rapide as the rear swing beam has a slightly depper Vee so potentially makes it easier to lauch from.

If you are launching in salt water it's well worth getting a trailer with bearing savers and flush ports.

Good luck!
Old 17 July 2007, 10:17   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I have owned Indispention, Snipe, SBS, DeGraff, Hayling, and a few others. Here are my keys observations:

I currently have a big DeGraff and I like it a lot. It tows really well and is quite versitile in that you can move things about quite easily; we've had 6 pedaloes on it, as well as a 4m searider and launching trolley. (It's not for sale any more btw!). DeGraff seem to represent very good value for money, and they're quite low down unlike Indispention.

I don't like Rapide much. The university rib trailer is a rapide and a few bits have dropped off it over the 18 months since it was built. It also feels quite unstable at speed.

Indispention are very well built it would seem, but they are incredably expensive. One big trouble is that Indispention make their own rollers which are a slightly different size to ones you can pick up off the shelf in places like towsure. The Indi ones are a hell of a lot more expensive than the towsure ones. Given that they seem to fall off quite a bit (well the ones on Jimbos/mine did) that could be an issue. I found it possible in the end to get round this by replacing all the brackets that they sit on although this is a tad expensive.

So yes, I would get a DeGraff
Old 17 July 2007, 11:47   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Eighth Child
Make: Rib X
Engine: 150 E-Tec
de graff for me

I had a de graff, it came with the boat. I needed some bits for it and the guys at de graff were really helpful. So for that reason I would recommend them.
Old 17 July 2007, 17:31   #8

Town: Glasgow
Make: humber
Engine: optimax 150
I have a degraff, so far it has been really good. Better than any other trailer I have had.
Old 17 July 2007, 20:34   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I've got a Rapide and the aftersales support is fantastic. It tows really well.
They do a particularly good hub flush system that you can use motorway services water hoses on-ie just stick it in and turn it on, no hozelock connectors needed.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2007, 21:07   #10

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i have had two indespension super roller coasters, i split pinned all the rollers and never had a problem with them coming loose in 10 years.

the indespension trailers are great but are quite pricey with it

the current trailer is an sbs and is an 1800 kg single axle as wanted to get away from a double axle. it is a superb trailer and tows lovely.........however i have had a sealed bearing fail and i am waiting on sbs and avonride to get back to me on this failure as it is premature in their minds. I will then be able to report back on after sales after warranty support.

the sbs has a lot of features on it that are great and it gets the thumbs up from me.

i would recommend reading the trailer features thread and see which items are important to you and then choose the trailer that has the build quality and the majority of the features you desire
Old 17 July 2007, 22:21   #11

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki 300
Brenderup

Anybody got any experience of Brenderup?

http://brenderup.co.uk/default.asp?pageid=614&state=product_list&category id={04A64E18-632D-4C14-8784-9DB0C3E6079B}&nodeid={CA8B6E7F-D993-4BD1-B857-BA58FF67FF53}