Click Here to Login

Old 29 July 2019, 17:09   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Wheel Studs Broke - Could have been Horendous

In May we towed our 17 Foot speed boat to Devon for the Annual speed boat rally we attend. The tow was a good 7 hrs

On the way home I had a bearing failure and had to be relayed home by the AA. The wheel on that side got very hot indeed.

I have now got round to replacing the complete 1300 kg axel which went well. The old Axel was only about 6 year old at most.

Upon removing the wheel on the old axel on the side that did not get hot. I repeat on the side that did not get hot two of the wheel studs snapped of with the minimum of pressure on the wheel wrench. Upon putting the bolt in the vice the nuts would turn very easily. I had greased them.

Although I still had 2 good studs I think that on the journey home I would have very likely lost the wheel on a major road (M25 for example)

This does not bear thinking about and I am at a loss as to why they broke with such little force

The axel was bought from Trailertek and made by Peak

Old 29 July 2019, 18:22   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
ive had one shear hitting a pothole must be metal fatigue lots of stuff made abroad isn't up to it IMO you've been lucky there BP
Old 29 July 2019, 19:38   #3

Yes Lucky indeed. If I had not had the other side bearing go I would have been towing it all the way home on 2 bolts... Mind you that is most likely all I had towing it there.

I recon I overtightened it. I have just bought myself a torque wrench...…
Old 30 July 2019, 07:46   #4

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
I recon I overtightened it. I have just bought myself a torque wrench...…
Thought you were a bit of a self confessed engine guru owning and fixing numerous types for all manor of different applications.....................and yet you've only just now purchased a torque wrench??
Old 30 July 2019, 13:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Thought you were a bit of a self confessed engine guru owning and fixing numerous types for all manor of different applications.....................and yet you've only just now purchased a torque wrench??

Wrong and unhelpful as usual
Old 30 July 2019, 14:59   #6

Quote:
Wrong and unhelpful as usual
Least my wheels don't fall off................................

I see you've posted the same thread on YBW Could Have been very Dangerous - Page 2 , A little bit of HPD going on Mr BP??
Old 30 July 2019, 17:13   #7

Quote:
Least my wheels don't fall off................................

I see you've posted the same thread on YBW Could Have been very Dangerous - Page 2 , A little bit of HPD going on Mr BP??
I have no idea what you are on about and have no interest in any of your posts.

One day perhaps you might post something that might help or assist others rather than simply have a pop all the time
Old 30 July 2019, 18:32   #8

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
I have no idea what you are on about and have no interest in any of your posts.

One day perhaps you might post something that might help or assist others rather than simply have a pop all the time
Google’s your friend

‘Histrionic personality disorder (HPD) is defined by the American Psychiatric Association as a personality disorder characterized by a pattern of excessive attention-seeking emotions’

Big Plumbs, I’ve got to admit most treads you start or contribute to end up in a quarrel
Old 30 July 2019, 20:53   #9

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
To be fair ,its hard to see how a guy who posts a warning too others ,genuinely trying to make sure others don,t risk danger ,admitting it may be his over tightening which has brought about the problem ,,,,,,,,and basically just saying "be careful "
Why would anybody slag him off ,personally i would like to say thanks for the information ,i wil check mine tommorow !!
Old 30 July 2019, 21:29   #10

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
To be fair ,its hard to see how a guy who posts a warning too others ,genuinely trying to make sure others don,t risk danger ,admitting it may be his over tightening which has brought about the problem ,,,,,,,,and basically just saying "be careful "
Why would anybody slag him off ,personally i would like to say thanks for the information ,i wil check mine tommorow !!

No time like the present, I’m going to get the missus to check my nuts right away
Old 31 July 2019, 08:27   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gecko
Make: Valiant
Engine: 115 Optimax
MMSI: 235060442
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
Google’s your friend

‘Histrionic personality disorder (HPD) is defined by the American Psychiatric Association as a personality disorder characterized by a pattern of excessive attention-seeking emotions’

Big Plumbs, I’ve got to admit most treads you start or contribute to end up in a quarrel
Old 31 July 2019, 10:24   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
totally agree i like a pi$$ take & banter but this could have had a serious outcome a least the bloke admits it could be him & not hiding anything.
Old 31 July 2019, 11:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
totally agree i like a pi$$ take & banter but this could have had a serious outcome a least the bloke admits it could be him & not hiding anything.
My observation was that Mr BP has on a number of occasions tried to come across as a mechanical god, with experience and ownership of every engine known to man ( I'm elaborating just a little bit ) and only recently purchased a torque wrench, which is a bit of a contradiction - in my book
100% agree about the wheel coming off and glad no-one was hurt, just a little pride and hopefully lesson learnt

Certain individuals do like attention and start identical threads on different forums, which is absolutely fine and their prerogative, but not something that's ever appealed to me

All the above is obviously IMHO

Final point, BP has given out enough cr@p to other posters on this forum ( and other sites ), he should be man enough to take a little back
Old 31 July 2019, 13:05   #14

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
My observation was that Mr BP has on a number of occasions tried to come across as a mechanical god, with experience and ownership of every engine known to man.......

Here’s a pretty comprehensive list.....
Mariner 60HP 2 Stroke ELPTO Smokes huge on Initial Start
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?p=792716
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 13:19   #15

RIBase
oh i read all BP'S threads and your right some own goals, but i treat each thread on its own merits and this one is one the most important the consequences could be catastrophic the trailer is one of the most overlooked by many thats all i'm saying.

to further this how many do use a torque wrench never supplied by car manufactures for wheel nuts i just hand tighten and stand on it [wheel brace] never had one loosen.
Old 31 July 2019, 14:02   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Here’s a pretty comprehensive list.....
Mariner 60HP 2 Stroke ELPTO Smokes huge on Initial Start
Mariner 60HP 2 Stroke ELPTO Smokes huge on Initial Start - Page 2 - RIBnet Forums
Indeed..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
oh i read all BP'S threads and your right some own goals, but i treat each thread on its own merits and this one is one the most important the consequences could be catastrophic the trailer is one of the most overlooked by many thats all i'm saying.

to further this how many do use a torque wrench never supplied by car manufactures for wheel nuts i just hand tighten and stand on it [wheel brace] never had one loosen.
Personally () regarding his thread/s merits.................Leopards and spots and all that

And regarding the torque wrench - I probably very poorly explained my thinking, it wasn't the fact that he did or didn't use a torque wrench on his trailer wheel nuts - it was the fact he'd only just purchased one considering he'd been a fusion reactor engineer (), a rocket scientist () and owned and worked on every type or internal combustion engine that has ever been manufactured - you'd expect that the item of kit we're discussing would be at the top of any professional ( or even hobbyists ) mechanics tool box

Oh, I wonder if he had been a fusion reactor engineer in a past life was he in the Ukraine in 86? Makes sense............:rofl :
Old 31 July 2019, 14:50   #17

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
to further this how many do use a torque wrench never supplied by car manufactures for wheel nuts i just hand tighten and stand on it [wheel brace] never had one loosen.[/QUOTE]

iI think this is the very point he is making !!!............he too stood on the bar and broke the studs ,they were not loose ,it would appear too tight (actually poss cracked for a year or more before he went to change axle ,the broken studs were on the side that didn,t get hot on his recent aa home tow
personally i wouldnt use a torqe wrench for wheel bolts /nuts but i am amazed those peak axles come with studs sticking out the hubs not loose bolts, just shows we get all the regs for trailers and try to stay safe ,and the manufacturers technology is from the fifties
Old 31 July 2019, 14:58   #18

RIBase
the thing is corrosion would increase the torque needed to undo the nuts so it might not be over tighten merely just maybe undo and grease now and then to prevent it.
Old 31 July 2019, 15:28   #19

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
Oh I love this forum; with Torque wrench in hand I just wondered if anyone can suggest a suitable torque setting to affix some steel "ifor whilliams" style wheels to an 1800kg single axle trailer having hubs with M16 5 stud 6.5” PCD?
Old 31 July 2019, 15:43   #20

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
Oh I love this forum; with Torque wrench in hand I just wondered if anyone can suggest a suitable torque setting to affix some steel "ifor whilliams" style wheels to an 1800kg single axle trailer having hubs with M16 5 stud 6.5” PCD?

I prescribe a 1/2 windy gun set to “full”
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote