RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Wheel bearings again ! Help needed

I have a problem which I am stuck on . I brought my RIB home last week to do a few jobs on and on arrival found one wheel bearing failing . The outer race had collapsed. We were able to remove the old bearing without any problem but when trying to refit the new one we can't get the castle nut back onto the thread . I have tried to smooth over the damaged area with a file small hacksaw etc I have tried a new nut as well . I can't change the stub axle as it is a one piece axle . THREADDOCTORS cant come till middle of next week and I am stuck inland in the great weather . Any suggestions please.
Old 02 June 2007, 07:19   #2

Town: Portishead/Falmouth
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Do you have access to a die set? Maybe try to recut the thread?
Old 02 June 2007, 09:19   #3

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I doudt that the thread is a standard one, if memory serves they are a fine thread and am not completely sure whether it's metric or imperial! If you could fine out what thread you have then I'll have a look through my dies and see if I have one.

I am surprised that you couldn't dress the damaged thread with a file, must be really damaged!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2007, 09:44   #4
RIBnet supporter

Thats the odd thing there is much visible damge ! Someone said the heat may have caused the thread to expand is that possible ?
Old 02 June 2007, 10:26   #5

Town: Fareham
I doudt it, unless you heated it with a welding set.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2007, 11:00   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Get a triangular needle file and set to.

Did you hammer the end of the stub axle?
Old 02 June 2007, 12:50   #7

Town: Arlington
Boat name: Clear Cut
Make: Polaris
Engine: Outboard, petrol,150
thread cleaning file

I can't remember the name of this tool and you would have to translate from american english anyway, so I'll do my best with a description:

The file is square in cross section with each of the 4 sides having a different thread count cut into the file. The shape of the cutting teeth fit perfectly into the thread channels if you choose a side with the proper thread count. I have two of these, they have 4 different thread counts on each end, so I have a total of 16 thread counts on 2 tools. They work great on buggered threads and take up little room in a traveling tool box.

I had a similar bearing failure on my boat trailer. The bearing race came out in pieces! I am amazed that the wheel still moved given the damage to the bearing. Inspection showed that the seal surface was knackered by the hub wobbling on the spindle. Solved that problem with a set of stainless steel sleeves, thin rings that are pressed over the old sealing surface. Now my trailer's seals ride on a nice, smooth stainless surface, instead of one pitted from rust. And a set of greaseable piston hub caps (called bearing buddies in the US) keeps a slight positive pressure in the hubs to keep the sea water out.

Good luck!
Old 02 June 2007, 13:36   #8

Town: Arlington
Boat name: Clear Cut
Make: Polaris
Engine: Outboard, petrol,150
thread cleaning file

I can't remember the name of this tool and you would have to translate from american english anyway, so I'll do my best with a description:

The file is square in cross section with each of the 4 sides having a different thread count cut into the file. The shape of the cutting teeth fit perfectly into the thread channels if you choose a side with the proper thread count. I have two of these, they have 4 different thread counts on each end, so I have a total of 16 thread counts on 2 tools. They work great on buggered threads and take up little room in a traveling tool box.

I had a similar bearing failure on my boat trailer. The bearing race came out in pieces! I am amazed that the wheel still moved given the damage to the bearing. Inspection showed that the seal surface was knackered by the hub wobbling on the spindle. Solved that problem with a set of stainless steel sleeves, thin rings that are pressed over the old sealing surface. Now my trailer's seals ride on a nice, smooth stainless surface, instead of one pitted from rust. And a set of greaseable piston hub caps (called bearing buddies in the US) keeps a slight positive pressure in the hubs to keep the sea water out.

Good luck!
Old 02 June 2007, 14:52   #9
RIBnet supporter

OK I got it back on after a lot of filing etc Very tight but it seems to have gone on straight so fingers crossed I dont need to change it again ,
Just remembered last person to use it was JIMBO do u think they might be relaterd in any way ?
Old 04 June 2007, 15:25   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4str View Post

The file is square in cross section with each of the 4 sides having a different thread count cut into the file.
I believe that would be, uh... a "thread repair file" aka "thread restoring file".

Shouldn't be too hard to find.

jky
Old 04 June 2007, 15:52   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Over there ---->
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4str View Post

Good luck!
Sounds like a thread chaser?
Old 04 June 2007, 16:06   #12

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixy_the_red View Post
Sounds like a thread chaser?
Nah, a thread chaser is a bit like a wood chisel but it has teeth on the end. It's used for finishing a thread which has been cut using a lathe.
Old 04 June 2007, 16:27   #13

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
In the UK it is called a thread file, Each side ( 4) has a diferent thread pitch or TPI. Most are double ended so you get a total of 8 thread pitches. As previously mentioned a thread chaser is used on a lathe to finish a thread that has been screw cut on the lathe.. If thread damage is minor then use a triangular needle file and finish off with a stiff steel wire brush then apply a small amount of fine valve grinding paste and wind the nut back and forth. Remember to wipe/flush of the grinding paste when your done.
Regards. T.
Old 05 June 2007, 07:50   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: Over there ---->
Well that's me told