Old 20 November 2001, 04:26   #11

Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp

Just when you thought I had disappeared!

I found the 'Castrol' website and tried a search for 'Castrol Heavy' but with no luck. It is not a very good site as I found it difficult to get details of any products!

I did find details of the major UK distributor and emailed him asking about the product. As soon as (if) I get a reply I will let you know.

Cheers

Keith Hart

www.photo4x4.co.uk
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2001, 07:45   #12

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Grease

Alan
Could be you are not on his 'wavelength', hahaha!

Old 20 November 2001, 12:36   #13

Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15hp
Here is a quick reply:

Hello Mr.Hart,

Thank you for your enquiry, we have pleasure in quoting the following:

The item you are after can be supplied in 3kg containers at £11.91 each, excluding VAT.
Next day carriage at £8.08, excluding VAT.

We currently have stock.

Very Best Regards,

Sales
Midland Distribution Centre
www.johnsmallmanltd.co.uk
enquiries@johnsmallmanltd.co.uk

So, there you go then....all the heavy duty grease you could ever want!

Keith Hart

www.photo4x4.co.uk
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2001, 13:32   #14

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
wheel bearings

Yes i have had trouble getting this product in the past-and have paid thru the nose for it when it has been ordered for me at car accessory shops. However I have found a motor factors who seem to stock it consistently, in fact I bought a tub testerday (the forum reminded me I ought to do some maintainance!).
The description on the tub is simply Castrol Heavy as a sticker on castrol's plastic tub that they use for everything (500g size).
The back of the tub has the properties of all their greases and under Heavy it says
"A heavy consistency lime based grease having excellent stability and water resistance. Particularly suitable for boating applications such as stern tubes and boat trailer wheel bearings".

If you cannot get any over there let me know and I'll see how much that nice man at the post office will charge me to post it to you.
Old 20 November 2001, 16:00   #15

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Another grease that works well is that used on inboard prop shaft seals. Its really a grease for bearings which run in water.
Can't remember what its called but if you ask for propshaft seal grease at most proper boat shops they will know what you mean.
If it the right one it's cream in colour and again is from Castrol.

Gary
Old 21 November 2001, 16:45   #16

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
More on the grease. My local Trailer manufacturer, (Parrymore Trailers in Chertsey near Staines, Middx.) sells me some special ‘boat trailer’ grease called ‘Aqua Lube’ which is specially designed for the job. I have to say it stands up to salt water much better than ordinary grease. I’ve been using it ever since the trailer was new. According to the pot, the manufactures are….. Century Oils Ltd, PO Box 2. New Century Street, Hanley, Stoke on Trent. ST1 5HU. Phone 01782 202521. From memory, the 500gram pot costs about 4 or 5 quid. Also, I concur with the thoughts on the ‘sealed for life’ ALKO bearings. Life seems to be about 18 months if your lucky before they start to ‘grumble’. I now carry a spare hub, bearing and ‘one shot’ nut to do a roadside change if necessary. I may not be able to get full torque but it’ll get me home. Incidentally, ALKO won’t sell the ‘special bearing’ on its own. You have to buy it on the hub for about £100. However, the bearing, at least on my trailer is in fact a BRT680, the same as on a Bedford Van. It costs about £20 or £30. You just need a friend with a press and those circlip pliers. There is something to be said for good old fashioned ‘squirt the grease' in bearings! By the way, Parrymore Trailers have some interesting comments about so called waterproof bearings on their website! http://www.boattrailer.co.uk/
Old 26 November 2001, 04:52   #17

Town: Surrey
Make: Raider
Length: 6.5
Engine: Mariner 115 4/Stroke
Bearing Savers?

Perhaps you might need to forgive my ignorance on this, but I haven't seen any mention in this thread of "Bearing savers" which I have seen advertised.

Are they also known as something else and I have missed it?

If not the "theory" goes as I understand, these attachments force grease into the hubs using the water pressure when you submerge the trailer.

I confess I feel a little cynical about this - grease being thicker than water.

If I am on the right track - does anyone know if they are any good.

Chris.
Old 26 November 2001, 16:24   #18

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
They actually work by a large spring which keeps the grease under a slight pressure into the bearings, the idea being that the grease will leak out rather than the water leaking in. Trouble is, the standard oil/grease seals are not designed for internal pressure and sometimes fail or pop out. Also the spring / plunger arrangement rusts up quickly. They also dont fit in place of many of the bearing caps as there are several different diameters.
Old 27 November 2001, 05:43   #19

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
as any schoolboy knows, the formation of rust requires air (or more accurately oxygen) and water. I have never had a problem with rust as I keep the trailer wheels permanently in water. All is required is a small pit in the driveway/garage which one reverses the wheels into. On long journeys, my 9 year old twin boys entertain themselves by continuously shooting water pistols at the trailer wheels from the back seat of the car.
Old 27 November 2001, 05:48   #20
Administrator

Town: Brighton
If you decide that this is your preferred method, then it is important to remember to use distilled water (or water that has been boiled and allowed to cool) as untreated tap water contains dissolved oxygen which will cause rusting.

Whatever next?

John