Old 27 November 2009, 10:32   #41

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharlot View Post
Driving home should be no problem because if the boat is over weight he will have to leave it there

Paul, Is your trailer a 1500kg as described or is it a 1300kg. I think it is more likely to be 1300, if you are using the 1300kg, I am sure you will be over weight
1. Too true Ian!! Very clever.

2. You are right, it is a 1300kg trailer, unladen is 350kg. So it would be really close!!

Boat 630kg
engine 195kg
bench seat <100kg
Trailer 350kg
Total 1275 kg

Any fuel or anything else and it will be over. Looks like it is a bare boat haul to Anglesey each year to put it on the mooring. All kit in the back of the rangey. All expeditions based from there, but hardly an issue with NWales coast and then IOM and Dublin within reach!!
Old 27 November 2009, 12:24   #42

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Could you fit a new axle and get the trailer re-plated to 1500kg?
Old 27 November 2009, 14:15   #43
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharlot
Driving home should be no problem because if the boat is over weight he will have to leave it there
Yes that was my point. And if its the trailer over the limit not just the tow car then presumably you need to find new trailer to bring boat home (or get it flat bedded!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
That was what I was thinking so will pop up first and ask, only 1.5 mile away, sure they would help if being upfront. How else do they expect you to check.
I take it you've never met Mr VOSA then - he doesn't understand "its only 1.5 miles" - and actually since its officially unsafe thats not really surprising. If you search the forum you will find a post I put up (regurgitated from PBO) a while back describing how to measure the weight of the boat and its accessories using bathroom scales and some geometry.
Old 27 November 2009, 14:32   #44

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I know it's going to be s*d all use for you, but the VOSA weighbridge at Stirling will work in "self service" mode while unmanned, and display your weight on an old style "station clock" type display. but not give you a printout.

Not sure if they're all like that?
Old 27 November 2009, 16:08   #45

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
1. Too true Ian!! Very clever.

2. You are right, it is a 1300kg trailer, unladen is 350kg. So it would be really close!!

Boat 630kg
engine 195kg
bench seat <100kg
Trailer 350kg
Total 1275 kg

Any fuel or anything else and it will be over. Looks like it is a bare boat haul to Anglesey each year to put it on the mooring. All kit in the back of the rangey. All expeditions based from there, but hardly an issue with NWales coast and then IOM and Dublin within reach!!
Paul

You have a boat worth 20k and a lot of very nice costline around you to explore, My advice is do not restrict where you can use the boat because of the trailer. Spend a few quid and upgrade the trailer so the you can make the most of your boat.
Old 27 November 2009, 17:17   #46

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharlot View Post
... Spend a few quid and upgrade the trailer so the you can make the most of your boat.
Spot on
Old 05 January 2010, 20:18   #47

Town: Exeter
Boat name: mickeyfinn
Make: dory
Engine: outboard 115 hp
Hi I'm new to this forum have been watching but thought I put my oar in for what its worth.
To find your max towing availablitity lift the bonnet and read the Vin plate. On new vehicles it will say MAM maximum autherised mass, on older vehicles it may be GVW or GCW being gross vehicle weight or gross combinded weight, meaning the maximum weight of towing vehicle and trailer. As a general rule of thumb your trailer loaded should not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle unless the towing vehicle is a 4X4.
If the combination exceeds 3.5 tons then you need B+E on your license. I don't know about up your neck of the woods but down here in Devon and all along the south coast the old bill and VOSA pull all trailers to check for correct license and lenght and width and weights of trailers regularlly. If incorrect your insurance in not valid so they say.