Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Scot Seats
Make: Revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 150 Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Thanks all.

I did contact the DVLA, but to be honest they confused me even more. I also suspect the person I spoke to did not really have much of a clue. Reading this from the direct.gov website, then I am fine with my B+E entitlement. (LR Discovery + Boat and Trailer)

Category B+E allows vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM to be combined with trailers in excess of 750kgs MAM. In order to gain this entitlement new category B licence holders have to pass a further practical test for category B+E. There is no category B+E theory test. For driver licensing purposes there are no vehicle/trailer weight ratio limits for category B+E.
That is exactly what i read into it there isn't a limit on the trailer size apart from the vehicle that is towing it is rated to tow that weight and the only limit on the tow vehicle is that it can't be over 3500kg.
follow us on www.twitter.com/scotseatsmarine
ScotSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 20:01   #22
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
I've got a VW transporter shuttle LWB.
Max tow weight is 2 ton, so just over 1800KG ?
Help out an already thick git who's loosing brain cells by the min due to warfarin.
Does that mean I can legally tow a loaded trailer of 1800KG as I've read that it should be 80% of the 2 ton limit. Some say this is law others say it's a recommendation of the caravan club!

Also is there a max length that your allowed to drive? Boat and trailer are around 6 meters and the van is about the same. So approx 12m over all.
Old 18 February 2010, 08:47   #23

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Scot Seats
Make: Revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 150 Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I've got a VW transporter shuttle LWB.
Max tow weight is 2 ton, so just over 1800KG ?
Help out an already thick git who's loosing brain cells by the min due to warfarin.
Does that mean I can legally tow a loaded trailer of 1800KG as I've read that it should be 80% of the 2 ton limit. Some say this is law others say it's a recommendation of the caravan club!

Also is there a max length that your allowed to drive? Boat and trailer are around 6 meters and the van is about the same. So approx 12m over all.
As far as i am led to believe the 80% of the 2ton limit is just a recommendation and you can tow a trailer upto the full 2ton limit legally.

The length issue is something i don't tenbd to bother with as have towed trailers upto 10m on a regular basis however at the length you are talking about you are within the law.
follow us on www.twitter.com/scotseatsmarine
ScotSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2010, 09:44   #24

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
the way i look at it is, the police are reading the same things we are, if we can't work out the whats legal and whats not how do you expect a police officer to understand it, you guys should have a word with Mike Ring the powerboat guy, i see him towing an 18metre rib back from henshaws one day and he's not alone