Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 February 2019, 15:17   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 791
RIBase
bearings are cheap the whole replace the hubs thing after 7 times sounds like a crock of shit to sell parts some sealed trailer bearings have a bit of rock in the bearing from new anyway Xk59D you finished with my socket yet you've had it for weeks how long does it take to fit a hub
__________________

__________________
breezeblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2019, 03:28   #22
Member
 
Fender's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post
How on earth has an argument sprung up about something as boringly prosaic as trailer hub bearings?
Because whatever the subject matter, some members are always looking to pick holes, to criticize, start an argument and I dare you to go against their incontrovertible opinion!! - that unfortunately is just the way some people are

My glass is always half full
__________________

__________________
Fender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2019, 07:26   #23
Member
 
Budgie1's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 208
Also have Extreme unbraked trailer with sealed hubs and like OP skeptical how long they would last having had to changes bearing at least yearly sometimes more on previous trailers!

They have been brilliant!! trailer now three years old gets regular dunking (approx 50 a year) done close to 6k miles and never touched the bearings still as silent as the day I bought them
__________________
Budgie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2019, 08:23   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hull, East Yorkshire
Boat name: Hull Uni One
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 129
We have Alko waterproof bearings on our RIB's trailer, and I changed them last year for the first time. They were 13 years old and had just started to develop a little bit of play.
They get a six monthly inspection/lubrication as part of the brake service (brakes suffer far more than bearings IME!). You can't really get much grease into the bearings, just what you can press in through the gap between the inboard and outboard bearing outer races. I use Sapphire Aqua 2 waterproof grease, which seems to do the job very well indeed.
New nuts and caps is a must, they're cheap enough.
__________________
Dry_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2019, 14:46   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60hp Mariner
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry_Doc View Post
We have Alko waterproof bearings on our RIB's trailer, and I changed them last year for the first time. They were 13 years old and had just started to develop a little bit of play.
They get a six monthly inspection/lubrication as part of the brake service (brakes suffer far more than bearings IME!). You can't really get much grease into the bearings, just what you can press in through the gap between the inboard and outboard bearing outer races. I use Sapphire Aqua 2 waterproof grease, which seems to do the job very well indeed.
New nuts and caps is a must, they're cheap enough.
That's very heartening. Can you remember if you needed any special tools to fit the new ones? I've a fair few tools but I don't live in Halfords.
__________________
nicksharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2019, 16:17   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,841
Yep one shot nuts and a good torque wrench with new caps as said for the alko bearings
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2019, 03:21   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Yep one shot nuts and a good torque wrench with new caps as said for the alko bearings
Not forgetting some very good circlip pliers, penetrating oil and heat to remove the pair that will most likely be well rusted into the groove by now

..... suitable mandrels to remove and replace the bearing

..... if you don't have access to a press >>>> a very big hammer and patience.

Alko recommend not to reuse the hubs more than 3 times - the principle being that the interference fit between the outer race and hub casting lessens I guess. This effect is probably made worse by knocking out as opposed to pressing. I replace mine every 2 years as a precaution but disregard the above. A spot of loctite or similar ?

If the boss doesn't object, a slow bake in the oven can help bearing replacement they say

https://www.westerntowing.co.uk/blog...aled-bearings/
__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2019, 03:25   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
bearings are cheap the whole replace the hubs thing after 7 times sounds like a crock of shit to sell parts some sealed trailer bearings have a bit of rock in the bearing from new anyway Xk59D you finished with my socket yet you've had it for weeks how long does it take to fit a hub
If ,,,, and only if, the outer race isn't tight with the bore of the hub, you don't actually have a fully working bearing . ;-)
__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2019, 03:48   #29
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,814
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post
I've just bought a 4.5m RIB on an Extreme trailer. The bearing say waterproof, but obviously they can't be, so will need maintenance.



Having had a set of (non-waterproof) bearings fail on the motorway recently (different trailer) I'd appreciate some advice, namely:


  1. How often do I need to replace these bearings?
  2. Is it easy to do so?
  3. What parts do I need
  4. Where do I get them from?



All help appreciated.



Best,



Nick


I’ve had 2 trailers with the AlKo water proof bearings & I never had one fail. Like you I was skeptical in the beginning & changed them after 2 years & they were like new. I did try & save some money by buying some pattern replacements but these showed signs of water ingress when I did the annual inspection, so I swapped them for OEMs. I sold the last one with 5 yr old bearings & they were fine. The number of times you can re-use the hub is a red herring, the trailer will have rotted away before you wear the hub bores. I used to clean the crap off annually & smear copperslip on the in/outside of the bearings to keep crap away from the seals. I used a press to change the bearings, much kinder to the hubs & bearings. I have also been known to re-use the “one shot” nuts & nothing fell off.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2019, 03:58   #30
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I’ve had 2 trailers with the AlKo water proof bearings & I never had one fail. Like you I was skeptical in the beginning & changed them after 2 years & they were like new. I did try & save some money by buying some pattern replacements but these showed signs of water ingress when I did the annual inspection, so I swapped them for OEMs. I sold the last one with 5 yr old bearings & they were fine. The number of times you can re-use the hub is a red herring, the trailer will have rotted away before you wear the hub bores. I used to clean the crap off annually & smear copperslip on the in/outside of the bearings to keep crap away from the seals. I used a press to change the bearings, much kinder to the hubs & bearings. I have also been known to re-use the “one shot” nuts & nothing fell off.
Spot on as usual Dave,,, SKF... others are pants
I might push out to 3 OCD years now
__________________

__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.