Old 11 July 2013, 07:32   #1

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
VW Amorok - Navara - Ranger

Considering one of the above, new. Anybody have either ? Any feedback on them please. Undecided myself, need something comfortable for towing, long drive and occasional family use.

It will be on a 3/4 year lease with Balloon payment, to buy at end, or trade in for another lease. Who's the best lease provider ?

NOTE : let's not turn it into another Landrover or car bashing thread please. Looking for serious input only.

Ta

www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 11 July 2013, 08:03   #2

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Navara for me, had one for 11 years and that's a record for me, did everything I ever ask it to do and I ask a lot, towing was ok but capacity is a problem, didn't stop me mind you. I would look at another way of buying it though, once you're into balloon payments you're never out, if money is tight you should explore borrowing the deposit and buy it on a 0% hire purchase might be a bit harder paying two loans but after four years it's your
Old 11 July 2013, 08:48   #3
Spammer

Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
+1 for the Navara I am on my third one just traded in my old 55 plate for a new one.

Some good deals on the go:

Navara 2.5 dCi Visia Double Cab 144 PS
• Bluetooth • 17" Alloys • Air Conditioning
• Electric Windows • Remote Locking
from £13,995 + VAT + RFL

Nissan Navara Acenta
Navara 2.5 dCi Acenta 4x4 Double Cab 190 PS
• Bluetooth • Cruise Control • 17" Alloys
• Dual Zone Climate Control • Side Steps
from £16,495 + VAT + RFL

Navara 2.5 dCi Tekna Double Cab 190 PS
• Leather seats • Bluetooth
• Cruise Control • Side Steps
• Dual Zone Climate Control
from £17,995 + VAT + RFL
Old 11 July 2013, 09:07   #4

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
I have a Amarok 12 plate, overall I am very happy but the gear shift is a bit clonky.
If the new ranger was available at the time I would have looked but no regrets,
Forget the rest too Chavy
Old 11 July 2013, 09:13   #5

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
A friend who runs a motorfactors loves Navaras. They even keep halfshafts for them in stock
According to him they sell a disproportionally large amount of spares for them. which would back up the general consensus that there are far more reliable trucks out there......
Old 11 July 2013, 09:45   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Various
Make: Coastline/Protector
Engine: Outboard
Trucks

We have owned as a company both the Navara, Ranger (older version) and the Hilux. Out of all of them the Hilux was the best for towing (auto) but we did get through a few rear wheel bearings. This was mainly due to dunking it in the water at slipways. Navara suffered from front wheel bearings (expensive to replace) and half shafts. From new we did 146,000 miles in the Hilux and 135,000 in the Navara. 90% of which was towing 8.5m RIBs around the country. My opinion would be the Hilux (although you didn't ask about it!) I have no info on the new Ranger but the old one was rubbish at towing but quite good at taking rubbish to the dump!

Just an opinion from real time use!
Old 11 July 2013, 11:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmyachting View Post
We have owned as a company both the Navara, Ranger (older version) and the Hilux. Out of all of them the Hilux was the best for towing (auto) but we did get through a few rear wheel bearings. This was mainly due to dunking it in the water at slipways. Navara suffered from front wheel bearings (expensive to replace) and half shafts. From new we did 146,000 miles in the Hilux and 135,000 in the Navara. 90% of which was towing 8.5m RIBs around the country. My opinion would be the Hilux (although you didn't ask about it!) I have no info on the new Ranger but the old one was rubbish at towing but quite good at taking rubbish to the dump!

Just an opinion from real time use!
Thanks. Its good of you to post your experiences. Best go consider the Hilux now too.

www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 11 July 2013, 12:36   #8

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Hilux.
Old 11 July 2013, 12:43   #9

Town: weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic, Searider's
Engine: 225hp, 90hp
Amarok. I love mine and have to say it beat my dads 2010 hilux invinsible hands down. Good drive, loads of space, good engine. I would wait for the auto to come into the country that's The only downside I have on mine
Old 11 July 2013, 13:20   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
On my Third Nav over 200,000 miles in them this one is an auto love it, but I fancy a change so I think the next one will be a new 3.2l Ranger 1300 kg payload and 3500 kg towing

Jim
Old 11 July 2013, 14:29   #11

Make: Ribtec
Engine: Yamaha F225
I have had a Navara for the past 6 years but would swap it in a heartbeat for the Isuzu D-Max. Very impressive beast. Check it out before you sign up for the Nissan.

No experience of the Amarok.
Old 11 July 2013, 17:03   #12

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 225 Opti
I've used a company called centralukvehicleleasing.co.uk for about six years

They get standard deals and also manufacturers distressed stock. My biz partner just got a mercedes s 350 cdi AMG on a 20000 mile contract for a little over 600 per month!! Unbelievable deal. I had an xc90 on 30000 per annum for 330 per month, we've got little Citroen c1s for 70'per month.

I know they do commercials too and if you have an open mind with regards the vehicle but feel like youre cheating the system they might find you something good
Old 11 July 2013, 17:19   #13

Length: 10m +
I would avoid the Navara at all costs. I had a brand new one on a lease with Nissan Finance. In the 9 months I had it, it got recovered by the RAC no fewer than 11 times and had countless other trips to the garage. While it has having work done, they offered me a Nissan Note as a replacement! In the end, I handed the keys back and started a battle with Nissan to get my money back. I won through the small claims court in the end.

Since then I have had 3 x Disco 3/4s on contract hire. Over 250,000 miles between them virtually all towing and not one breakdown. When they have been into the garage for maintenance, I have been given another equivelent vehicle with towbar to keep me on the road.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2013, 18:18   #14

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 225 Opti
A comment on the old ranger not being good at towing made me remember when we ran a promo event using rangers in 2008 or 2009. We were asked to devise an exercise to help them understand how self employed people use pick ups. By the end of day two we'd burnt out five clutches towing - wait for it- empty trailers!!!!

The client asked us to change the whole plan so we didn't blow up any more clutches!!!
Old 11 July 2013, 18:54   #15

I think i am correct in saying when you have a tow-bar fitted to a Navara at a main dealer they used to change the clutch and flywheel at the same time to one that should have been fitted in the first place?
Old 11 July 2013, 20:12   #16

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
I think i am correct in saying when you have a tow-bar fitted to a Navara at a main dealer they used to change the clutch and flywheel at the same time to one that should have been fitted in the first place?
Thats shocking

Well my new shape 2009 Ssangyong Rexton commercial has been pretty good for reliabilty .. looks good too and is very comfortable for a works 4x4 ,... depreciation is its biggest enemy, but it costs half of a disco commercial to start with .. but I wont keep em longer than 4 years anyway and it wasnt in the op's list .

However my old dealer for those motors now does Isuzu ... and I am informed the D max (double cab) is now rated to pull 3.5 tonnes

If you ask me .. I'd be very nervous about pulling 3.5 tonne in a pick up having towed many a different thing over the years but there you go
Old 11 July 2013, 20:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
If you ask me .. I'd be very nervous about pulling 3.5 tonne in a pick up having towed many a different thing over the years but there you go
Bit light on the rear end, the tail could start to wag the dog do you think?
Old 11 July 2013, 20:26   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
I own a nav and have had the ranger and amarok on demo. The ranger I had for a week, the VW for a day. VW a little Dissapointing on power and the ford gear change was horrible. Liked the VW build and liked the size and look of the ranger. However I still have my nav because I preferred it to both. Drives better, than both in my opinion. Looking a newer one now or maybe the new Isuzu huntsman.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3198253434.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	82782   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3325591769.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	82783  
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2013, 20:28   #19

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
Bit light on the rear end, the tail could start to wag the dog do you think?
Umm yeah ... .. also ... try a swift stop at a roundabout when a driver changes their mind and doesent exit at the junction they indicated as you join the roundabout ..
Old 11 July 2013, 20:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
I own a nav and have had the ranger and amarok on demo. The ranger I had for a week, the VW for a day. VW a little Dissapointing on power and the ford gear change was horrible. Liked the VW build and liked the size and look of the ranger. However I still have my nav because I preferred it to both. Drives better, than both in my opinion. Looking a newer one now or maybe the new Isuzu huntsman.
What kind of faults have you experienced since ownership ?

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007