Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Was thing the same. Is there something inboard that is not standard?

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Like some water maybe?
Old 21 March 2014, 18:11   #22

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
Sounds like a lot!
Maybe but that's what the ticket says. Its will a full 90lt tank, anchor and chain plus all the usual kit for a RYA course that it will be used for tomorrow. Just off now to push it about and onto the back of the Passat.
Old 21 March 2014, 19:28   #23

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
But surely your SR4 on its trailer is nowhere near 750kg. My SR5.4 with a 90hp on its trailer was under 750kg (on a weighbridge - not guessed)
I agree, I estimate the trailer, outboard, fuel and other kit in the rib when towing to total just under 500kg. That's why I asked if the car has to be rated to the actual gross weight (500kg) or the plated max gross weight on the trailer (710kg for my trailer).

From answers so far it seems to be the later, so only the 180hp diesel engined Octavias would be legal with an unbraked trailer. I suspect that the majority of ribs being towed on unbraked trailers behind family cars are actually breaking the law.

Not a problem for me at present as I tow my sr4 behind a very big 4x4, but it seems to be restricting my choice of replacement vehicle when I change the 4x4 for a smaller more fuel efficient hatchback or estate in the future.

Chris
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2014, 22:54   #24

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Just depends which model Octavia you have , looking at the octavia towing limits the largest model the diesel 2 ltr is ok for 750 kg unbraked the next down 740 kg but all other models are 640 kg limit .
Think you may be looking at an old 2litre?
The current 2 litre, 150BHP hatch is 1255kg (they were proud to drop something like 150kg on the last re-design!) So unbraked weight is quoted by Skoda as 660kg.

The 184BHP will tow 710kg just.

The only octavia I can see that goes to 750kg now is the estate. (184BHP, 2Litre)
Old 22 March 2014, 00:08   #25

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
A lot of the smaller unbraked trailers exactly like what you might find a SR4 on are played to 500 or 600 kg...

I know you've a new trailer so probably doesn't apply.
Old 22 March 2014, 04:34   #26

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
I agree, I estimate the trailer, outboard, fuel and other kit in the rib when towing to total just under 500kg. That's why I asked if the car has to be rated to the actual gross weight (500kg) or the plated max gross weight on the trailer (710kg for my trailer).

From answers so far it seems to be the later, so only the 180hp diesel engined Octavias would be legal with an unbraked trailer. I suspect that the majority of ribs being towed on unbraked trailers behind family cars are actually breaking the law.

Not a problem for me at present as I tow my sr4 behind a very big 4x4, but it seems to be restricting my choice of replacement vehicle when I change the 4x4 for a smaller more fuel efficient hatchback or estate in the future.

Chris
If the weight genuinely is only 500kg, then all you need to do is get the trailer down plated and then you have a much wider choice of tow car.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2014, 06:47   #27

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
I had a Honda accord estate which had a tow weight of 500kg unbraked as stated in the manual. I don't know why it was so low it wasn't due to the weight of the vehicle. My rib plus engine etc that I weighed when new was around 600kg on a 700kg trailer. Are you breaking the law or just invalidating any warranty as I did?

Just changed it for the 2wd mazda cx5 with unbraked tow weight 740kg. The unbraked weight of the Honda crv is only 600kg in the manual. I rate the Honda build quality but this was one reason along with fuel economy that I went for the mazda.

My intention was to upgrade the trailer with a braked axle but never got around to it. I therefore have a new tow hitch and braked axle available if anyone is interested.
Old 22 March 2014, 08:27   #28

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Don't know yet...
Make: Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x 150 etecs
The simple answer is that you were breaking the law due to being overweight. Although knowing what most warranty companies are like then you probably invalidated it as well....
Old 24 March 2014, 07:49   #29

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda BF90
For all these reasons, and the subjective weight of gear, fuel etc, I have decided to go with a braked 1100kg trailer for my new rib, even though it might come in under the limit.

I can live with the extra maintenance, but I am not gambling with insurance and warranties if something went wrong.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:42   #30

My rough calcs so please feel free to shoot them down:
SR4 dry weight (600lbs) = 275Kg
Outboard - unsure what you have but say a 50hp = 120Kg
50 litres of fuel = 50x 0.74 = 37Kg
Onboard electrical (inc battery) = 12Kg
Onboard others (anchor, wrap etc) = 15Kg
Total = 460 Kg
Assuming the towcar can tow 750Kg, that leaves 750-460 = 290 Kg for the weight of the trailer plus error margin.
If the tow car can only tow 500Kg, you may only have 40Kg for the trailer and error...
Does this look correct?

EDIT: Legal max as Trailer Guy mentions is 750Kg unbraked https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car
Cheers
Old 24 March 2014, 12:02   #31

Hi Chunk

I would add a bit more for battery, rigging and electronics. My battery weighs in at over 20kg alone, so I allow 50kg all in.

Most 750kg gross unbraked trailers weigh between about 180-220kg.
Old 24 March 2014, 13:27   #32

Extreme, you're probably right. Did the calc for my boat a few months ago after reading an earlier "Am I legal" thread and realised I wasn't.

Didn't worry about it too much until last month when a chap with dementia ran off the pavement in front of my car. I swerved, clipped his ankle and he luckily got away with a clean break. Could've been much worse had I been towing at the time...

Like you I've now gone down the route of braked trailer.
Old 24 March 2014, 14:49   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
Extreme, you're probably right. Did the calc for my boat a few months ago after reading an earlier "Am I legal" thread and realised I wasn't.

Didn't worry about it too much until last month when a chap with dementia ran off the pavement in front of my car. I swerved, clipped his ankle and he luckily got away with a clean break. Could've been much worse had I been towing at the time...

Like you I've now gone down the route of braked trailer.
Wow! Close call. I am more comfortable having an over-specced trailer/axle with 13" wheels.

Edit: How's the Highfield OM460 by the way?
Old 24 March 2014, 16:25   #34

Its been good, I've been using it through the winter and it hasn't missed a beat. Have you taken delivery of your new 540 yet?
Old 24 March 2014, 16:40   #35

Quote:
Its been good, I've been using it through the winter and it hasn't missed a beat. Have you taken delivery of your new 540 yet?
Due on 4th April as I changed the spec a bit and opted for a BF90. Here she is pre-rigged. I will post more pics when I take delivery...

Apologies to all for going off topic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140324_163850.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	92611  
Old 24 March 2014, 20:41   #36

Town: Northampton
Make: Yam
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 20hp & 2hp
https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/towing-equipment
Old 24 March 2014, 22:10   #37

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:
My rough calcs so please feel free to shoot them down: SR4 dry weight (600lbs) = 275Kg Outboard - unsure what you have but say a 50hp = 120Kg 50 litres of fuel = 50x 0.74 = 37Kg Onboard electrical (inc battery) = 12Kg Onboard others (anchor, wrap etc) = 15Kg Total = 460 Kg Assuming the towcar can tow 750Kg, that leaves 750-460 = 290 Kg for the weight of the trailer plus error margin. If the tow car can only tow 500Kg, you may only have 40Kg for the trailer and error... Does this look correct? EDIT: Legal max as Trailer Guy mentions is 750Kg unbraked https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car Cheers
The problem is that it appears the car has to be rated higher than the plated max gross weight on the trailer, not the actual weight of the boat and trailer.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote