Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 29 October 2018, 05:57   #11
Member
 
Country: Germany
Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 538
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Thanks Dave - will drop Mick PM .
As for trailer setup - good point !
I did not want the air tires because I had them on one trailer and they were permanently flat when I needed them .
There are also the same tires available but fully polyurethane as for wheelbarrow's for example .
But I am not sure if they would deform over time and they would also quite significant weight to the trailer .
__________________

__________________
6 cylinder diesel power
Bushrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 06:03   #12
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrider View Post
oil filled hubs .
They claim their hubs are 100% waterproof .
Even if not - you can see immediately if there was water ingress into the hubs due to the clear caps .
I have oil filled hubs on my (totally different brand, much smaller and sadly just galvanised) trailer, they seem to work really well and I don't understand why they aren't more commonly used. The only criticism I have heard (from the US where it is much more common) is that if you try hard enough you can crack the plastic/glass cover with road debris or hitting them on kerbs (US do often have much taller kerbs). 12ish years and I've not managed that despite having taken the boat a few very potholey places. Worth being aware of though if you do clip a kerb or similar with a wheel.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 06:21   #13
Member
 
Country: Germany
Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 538
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Sh..t can always happen but this I would not consider as an real issue .
So far I have seen only low resolution pictures of the disc brake actuator and it seems to me that they are sitting really low .
This low ground clearance would make me being concerned going last meters to my yard off road or in general at places which are not paved .
May be I am wrong and it looks only on the pictures like this .
__________________
6 cylinder diesel power
Bushrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 11:03   #14
Member
 
M.Thornton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 353
Jurgen
Take a look at Gecko aluminium trailers
__________________
It looks massive on the trailer,but tiny in a big sea!
M.Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 11:17   #15
Member
 
Country: Germany
Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 538
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Nice trailers Mike but weight isn't the issue .
I do not need the lightest available trailer to get more loading capacity .
I am very interested in the oil lubricated bearings and the disc brakes if they are really so maintenance free as the manufacturer claims .
You know that after most trips I am still towing at least 1500km so reliability plays a big role .

Forgot to mention - one of the reasons to look in Europe for a trailer is not to go a second time through the procedure getting a British trailer registered in Germany .

*Vanclaes just contacted me . The rollers which are looking like air tires are also available made of solid polyurethan .
If he confirms that they will not deform they would be probably my choice
__________________
6 cylinder diesel power
Bushrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 12:14   #16
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,807
RIBase
Vanclaes disc braked trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrider View Post
Nice trailers Mike but weight isn't the issue .
I do not need the lightest available trailer to get more loading capacity .
I am very interested in the oil lubricated bearings and the disc brakes if they are really so maintenance free as the manufacturer claims .
You know that after most trips I am still towing at least 1500km so reliability plays a big role .

Forgot to mention - one of the reasons to look in Europe for a trailer is not to go a second time through the procedure getting a British trailer registered in Germany .

*Vanclaes just contacted me . The rollers which are looking like air tires are also available made of solid polyurethan .
If he confirms that they will not deform they would be probably my choice


The axles/hubs/brakes are made by WAP in Germany, they aren’t specific to VanClaes.

I sold my last boat to a guy in Germany, I think he ended up scrapping the perfectly good SBS trailer as he couldn’t get it through TUV approval.

Maybe the number plate was on the wrong side
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 12:36   #17
Member
 
Country: Germany
Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 538
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
The axles/hubs/brakes are made by WAP in Germany, they aren’t specific to VanClaes.

I sold my last boat to a guy in Germany, I think he ended up scrapping the perfectly good SBS trailer as he couldn’t get it through TUV approval.

Maybe the number plate was on the wrong side
Thats exactly the point ..
I talked to Brenderup whether they can supply me a trailer with WAP axles ..
I also talked to a WAP dealer whether they can put the WAP axles under the trailer which comes with the boat and get it through the TÜV .They need to be replaced anyway because they are worn out .
No chance ..
__________________
6 cylinder diesel power
Bushrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 12:49   #18
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,807
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrider View Post
Thats exactly the point ..

I talked to Brenderup whether they can supply me a trailer with WAP axles ..

I also talked to a WAP dealer whether they can put the WAP axles under the trailer which comes with the boat and get it through the TÜV .They need to be replaced anyway because they are worn out .

No chance ..


So is the VanClaes TUV approved “out of the box?”
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 13:23   #19
Member
 
Country: Germany
Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 538
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
They provide EU certification . Before picking up the trailer they would send me the documents and I can register the trailer .
With the reg plate I can go then to pick up the trailer .
Easy ..
__________________
6 cylinder diesel power
Bushrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 13:44   #20
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,807
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrider View Post
They provide EU certification . Before picking up the trailer they would send me the documents and I can register the trailer .
With the reg plate I can go then to pick up the trailer .
Easy ..


gotta love a bureaucrat
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.