Old 09 September 2010, 06:36   #1

Town: Bangor, Co Down
Boat name: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Make: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha F40, Merc 500
Tyre pressure

Hi all, the tyres fitted to the trailer for my rib ( Ribeye 4.5m + f 40hp yam ) have the stamp on them for the load/tyre pressure as: max load 355kg @ 3.5 bar, which I convert as 51 lbf/in2,

is this ( 3.5 bar ) the max air pressure for the tyre or the pressure that the tyres should be pumped up to.
Old 09 September 2010, 09:41   #2

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
I look at it this way,.....if thats the maximum load carrying capacity of that tyre, and 3.5 bar is the specified pressure for operating at that load, then there is no need to ever exceed that pressure, so its effectively the MAX pressure.
As to what YOUR inflation pressure should be then you would have to either check with the tyre manufacturer or trailer manufacturer and know the actual load on the tyre.
Until you find out I would inflate to near or to the maximum, as underinflation is far more likely to cause tyre damage and heating than overinflation. (lorry tyres are effectively overinflated when running empty!)
Old 09 September 2010, 21:01   #3

Town: Bangor, Co Down
Boat name: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Make: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha F40, Merc 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
I look at it this way,.....if thats the maximum load carrying capacity of that tyre, and 3.5 bar is the specified pressure for operating at that load, then there is no need to ever exceed that pressure, so its effectively the MAX pressure.
As to what YOUR inflation pressure should be then you would have to either check with the tyre manufacturer or trailer manufacturer and know the actual load on the tyre.
Until you find out I would inflate to near or to the maximum, as underinflation is far more likely to cause tyre damage and heating than overinflation. (lorry tyres are effectively overinflated when running empty!)
thanks for the reply, that is the way I was thinking, I am going on hols for 8 days & trailing about 750+ miles round trip so wanted to put my mind at rest,

thanks again.
Old 10 September 2010, 15:11   #4

Town: STOKE
Boat name: Humma
Make: Humber Destoyer 5.5
Engine: Out b 75 hp Marriner
MMSI: 235068231
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by T 15 View Post
thanks for the reply, that is the way I was thinking, I am going on hols for 8 days & trailing about 750+ miles round trip so wanted to put my mind at rest,

thanks again.
What do they say
over inflate wear the middle under inflate wear edges, Yes just 5 psi below max .With all that millage might be worth putting in some gel if you get a puncture on single a axle trailor
I always do
Stuart
Old 15 September 2010, 04:28   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by stul View Post
over inflate wear the middle under inflate wear edges,
Underinflated tires go through a lot more flexing than an overinflated tire, and generate a lot more heat. Much more likely to cause a catastrophic failure (tread separation, ply separation, sidewall failure, etc) running underinflated.

jky
Old 15 September 2010, 19:41   #6

Boat name: Expresso
Make: Ribeye
Engine: outboard/petrol/100
recent advice

I spoke fairly recently to a local trailer builder, repairer and he advised to set pressures 5lbs under the max pressure stated on the tyre. The only bit I would add to that, is you need to be careful of the air temperatures, if you are trailing all year round; especially a long journey.