Old 06 November 2011, 13:18   #21

Town: Dereham
Boat name: Alexandro
Make: I'd love to know
Length: 7m +
Engine: optimax 225hp
Sorry again Trailer Guy I mis understood your advice because of the fact i had listed all the weights for each part trailer/boat/engine etc and on first read it felt like a pre written sales pitch. On reflection and re-reading it was specific to me and again I apologize.

Alzi.. The driving license issue is well noted but I did pass my test way before 97 so towing isn't a problem, However As it is quite a wide beam I do need to check on the width as I remember from towing a caravan a few years ago that UK caravans behind non commercial vehicles had to be narrower, But some one said this may have changed???
And yes it was the Blue rib with a white double console and a seperate double bench forward and a bolted on wake board tower, but it was south west wales not yorkshire.

once I get it back on the trailer ive got to send a picture of the transom to Humber to identify if its one of there's.

Erin... I came up with the 700kg by taking the Max and Min weights of the current Humber range and averaging it out. it maybe 50kg out but ive allowed for a bit of fluctuation in my estimates if you look at the original post and yes it was for the bare boat.
Old 06 November 2011, 13:23   #22

Discomic

Thats why I said Id have to use the Car.

If I had a second row Id tow with the van all day as it is so easy. And being a brand new Renault Master with a sequential semi Auto box its better to drive than the Mondeo anyhow.
Old 06 November 2011, 14:01   #23

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by derdle
Discomic

Thats why I said Id have to use the Car.

If I had a second row Id tow with the van all day as it is so easy. And being a brand new Renault Master with a sequential semi Auto box its better to drive than the Mondeo anyhow.
What are they like with the semi auto I fancied a VW transporter 4x4 with the DSG box in but they wouldn't guarantee it with the job I do.
Old 06 November 2011, 14:04   #24

Town: Plymouth
The UK law changed not so long back regarding width restrictions. From 2.5m to 2.8m I think off hand. I doubt width will be any issue towing wise.

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 06 November 2011, 15:11   #25

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Previous limit was 2.3 metres, unless the towing vehicle was a qualifying commercial vehicle with MAM over 3500 kg.

However, the new width limit for light trailers (categories O1 and O2), up to 3500 kg MAM is now 2.55 metres.

This is immaterial as to what vehicle is towing it - commercial vehicle, car or 4x4. It was done to bring us in line with the rest of Europe.

You can also have up to 305mm 'overhang', over each side of the trailer, up to a limit of 2.9m. Loads over 2.9m are classed as an abnormal load and the police need to be informed, two days prior to any journey.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2011, 15:33   #26

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
My bare hull is quoted as 500 but by the time you add console, seat pods, engine, nav gear, battery etc it ended up at 1100 kg. Best thing if you have any doubt like I did is to take it to a weighbridge. You may be surprised.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2011, 15:56   #27

Discomik

There Fab once you get used to them.

If i'm teaching you suck eggs disregard the bits you already know but i'll assume you have as much knowledge as I did when It was delivered nowt..

It doesn't use a tourque converter as conventional 4x4 but uses a clutch operated by a robotic unit. This has the advantage of not losing power/MPG and is in fact 20% more economic(proven).
But it has the following disadvantages. on steep inclines you need to a apply the handbrake or you will roll back. This is because the robotic unit takes a moment to apply clutch control. Off the lights its a bit slow of the mark as the clutch engages but can be tricked by left foot braking and dipping the throttle just before you want to pull away. And when doing a 3 point turn in a Hurry ie middle of the road its a wee bit slower as you need to touch the brake to go between forward and reverse. And finally sometimes on a motorway for instance dependant on speed/incline/wind etc it will change up and down between 5th and 6th which can be a bit annoying, but by knocking it in to manual sorts it out.

Other than these minor inconveniences its a pleasure to drive, gear changes are smooth it runs great loaded or unloaded and in slow traffic well it can't be beaten. For the extra £600 it was defenently worth it as i'll save more than that in fuel over its life.
Old 06 November 2011, 15:57   #28

Town: Lancashire , Scotland
Boat name: TARKA
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: 3.3,75
Quote:
Originally Posted by derdle View Post
Hi EnglishLes

I think that site is a few years out of date as my car isn't even listed.

I have a 2010 Mondeo Estate Titanium X 140 TDCI and .it is listed at 2000kg by Ford.
Data taken from

kerbweights

It may be worth double checking the Towing Limit with the Mondeo.

If I read it correct the 140ps Auto is 2000kg,

But the Manual is only 1800kg.

Alan.
Old 06 November 2011, 16:02   #29

Erin
'll defo do that once I get it back on the trailer. its only about £10 at my local bridge to for a double weigh (hitched and unhitched).
Old 06 November 2011, 16:18   #30

Trailer Guy is that 305mm overhang over the max width allowed or the trailer width. I ask because don't mosts larger boats overhang more than 305mm or are they not classed as the load but as part of the trailer.
Old 06 November 2011, 16:30   #31

Alzi
Sorry Forgot to say yes it is an Auto.

I still don't fancy towing 2000kg behind it, hence the question of two wheels of four.
I am starting to lean to the 4 wheels even though they will add even more weight.
From my years of driving and towing other trailers its never been the stopping that has scared me as you can allow extra distance and use a bit of common sense.

Its the fish tailing from an unexpected gust of wind or maneuver because of an unforeseen situation on the road and thats where extra wheels help.

and at the end of the day a boat i guess is nothing more than a badly loaded trailer all the weight hanging out the back.
Old 06 November 2011, 16:47   #32

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I think for "towing to Spain" i'd prefer two axles just for the redundancy should you get a puncture.

My 6.5m is on a single axle trailer due to cost, ease of moving around, simplicity of maintainance - but I rarely go more than 20 miles from home and always have the RAC to scoop me up if it all goes pear shaped.
Old 06 November 2011, 16:48   #33

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
As Peter says Derdle, I really wouldn't go hacking away at Trailer Guy, he's your best source of info on here.
Old 06 November 2011, 16:56   #34

Courageous
I know I misread his advice and I've apologized.
Old 06 November 2011, 17:00   #35

Searider

thats my problem I want the single axle for convenience but on a long haul I know ill be wishing i had two especially when loaded up with all my camping gear.
Old 06 November 2011, 17:01   #36

Ok, well done for that! There aren't many wind-up merchants on here thankfully. Welcome to the forum anyhow.
Old 06 November 2011, 18:37   #37

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by derdle View Post
Trailer Guy is that 305mm overhang over the max width allowed or the trailer width. I ask because don't mosts larger boats overhang more than 305mm or are they not classed as the load but as part of the trailer.
That's 305mm over and above the width of the very outside of the trailer. On your trailer I'd imagine that to be the mudguards?

You're right, you do see a lot of boats that look like they're over that limit. However, it may just be a trick of perception and they might not be. Additionally, I'd be surprised (and this is not meant in a derogatory fashion) if many traffic police are aware of it.

You will see a few RIB owners deflate their tubes when towing too. So there's a few conscientious owners amongst us at least....

PS. Corageous - stop it, you'll make me blush!
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2011, 19:58   #38

Hehe! Sure I will......