Old 04 October 2008, 10:25   #1

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Trailoer tips for SIB?

Following on from the thread about trailering a RIB, I have some similar questions about my SIB.

I am tying it down with ratchet straps aft hooked onto transom u-bolts, and was planning to put 50mm ratchet straps across the tubes and tie the painter (attached to a hypalon patch under the bow) loosely down to the trailer. I am not transporting with the outboard fitted (that's what the box underneath is for).

In light of the advice in the RIB trailer thread to avoid straps over tubes, are there any alternatives for SIBs? I know the RNLI trailer their SIBs with ratchet straps over the tubes, but their SIBS are a lot heavier duty.

I'm concerned that if I put too much tension on the painter it will pull off the hypalon patch. I'm also concerned that the bow of the boat is unsupported and will 'flap' - should I add a support under the bow?

Cheers

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf0192.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	37870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf0193.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	37871  
Old 04 October 2008, 10:29   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I don't think it'll be as much of a problem with sibs-they are a lot lighter. A rib bouncing on a trailer is going to put a lot more stress through the straps.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2008, 12:08   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Nice old Avon Sportsboat you've got there

Seen lots of SIBs transported like that - Tie downs from transom and a painter line down to the front of the trailer. If you are able to turn the SIB upside down, the bow will point down, which will avoid any lift from wind resistance and make it easier to tie down with the painter.
I used to carry an upside down Avon R3.40 SIB on top of my old 14' Fletcher skiboat The SIB made a good raft/pontoon for leaving people on when we had a big crowd out waterskiing. Easier than going to/from the beach all the time and the guys on the SIB could pick up the kick-off ski
Old 05 October 2008, 10:06   #4

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did think about loading the SIB upside down - the benefit of right side up is that I can load and unload single handed. Wheel the boat up on its transom wheels -> rest the bow on the 'bunks' -> lift the transom and slide until the transom wheels hit the back of the trailer.

I'll have a play and see how it goes.

Cheers

Chris
Old 05 October 2008, 12:09   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Flip it over when it's up on the trailer
Old 24 October 2008, 16:38   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Using a ratchet strap over the SIB won't damage it. Use a couple of foam pads where it's in contact with the boat and don't overtighten it. That should give you the reassurance you need when transporting it, in conjunction with the other tie-down straps.
Old 30 October 2008, 06:17   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
I did think about loading the SIB upside down - the benefit of right side up is that I can load and unload single handed.
I don't think flipping it over will do much *while trailering*. The nose should be well within the wind shadow of the tow vehicle, so wind on the nose should be pretty well minimized.

I used to trailer my 14' Achilles with a pair of transom tie-downs, a strap across the tubes about 1/3 of the way back, and the winch strap and safety chain on the front handle. Never had a problem. I did make it a point to get a 2" wide strap to go across the tubes, and never cranked them really tight, as that strap was only to keep the boat in place if the bow attachments failed.

By consequence, I ran into the new owner last weekend while diving. He's doing everything the same way still.

jky

Edit: If you carry the boat on, say the roof of your vehicle, flipping it over will have an effect.