Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_ View Post
I trailer fully loaded and ready to launch.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I'll also be taking the rib over to Ireland next month on the ferry. Is there anything you need to do other than booking as normal? I travel a lot on the Cairnryan-Larne route (with my car only) and last time I asked a purser about taking my rib with fuel tanks and he said to phone in advance and they would put the car&trailer outside? Although I asked the same question to security and they said absolutely no way can I carry ANY fuel tanks at all, though I'm pretty sure I asked a clueless one - they are usually very good but 1% of the time you meet a jobsworth and I think this was one of them.

Whats the general policy from those who take their ribs on ferrys? I'll probably definitely have fuel in the tanks.

They don't allow any "loose" fuel to be carried on the boat, jerry cans, portable fuel tanks etc. Built in fuel tanks are ok. I've had flares confiscated by security at check-in & had to collect them from the ferry terminal at least he other side. I don't bother with flares now, I've gone all 21st century😀

Don't panic! don't panic!
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2016, 08:17   #22

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Years ago a pal of mine had a ski boat loaded up with gear and a ski slipped over and hit the trim button & trimmed the engine right down (no lock on & no battery isolator)
the skeg was significantly shorter by the time he got home
Was a bit more careful after that !
Old 12 July 2016, 22:38   #23

Town: Scottish Borders
Boat name: Alchemy3
Make: SR4M
Length: 4m +
Engine: YAM 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
They don't allow any "loose" fuel to be carried on the boat, jerry cans, portable fuel tanks etc. Built in fuel tanks are ok. I've had flares confiscated by security at check-in & had to collect them from the ferry terminal at least he other side. I don't bother with flares now, I've gone all 21st century��

Don't panic! don't panic!

What happens if you only have portable tanks? Have an SR4 and only have two portable 25 litre Yamaha tanks.

EDIT: Actually I just read a document I'd saved on my PC regarding filling up fuel tanks at petrol stations (think it may have been posted on here originally) and the 'portable fuel tanks' are actually classed as 'demountable fuel tanks' or technically "demountable fuel tank of a motor boat or similar vessel" so wonder if this makes a difference...
Old 13 July 2016, 07:29   #24

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
I use to make the crossing from Stranraer or Cairnryan every week and was certainly asked every time if I was carrying any "cans of fuel"
Last time I was in Southern Ireland petrol was cheaper there anyway. I tend to think, the few pounds you save by fueling up at your local supermarket is offset by the extra weight you have to haul, and rolling into the village petrol station and buying £150 worth of fuel when you get to your destination can help with a bit of "flexibility" when it comes to filling cans later in the week.
Old 13 July 2016, 07:38   #25

Town: Isle of Wight mostly
Make: Regal
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser
MMSI: 235911246
I've never been asked on red funnel (isle of wight) ferries. Trailered inboard and outboard boats, normally with low part filled fixed tanks and sometimes carrying empty loose cans stowed well in the boat.

I usually tow short distances fuelled up and as ready to launch as possible, but longer tows I prefer less weight onboard so run the tank down if pos.
Old 12 August 2016, 14:43   #26

Town: South West
Boat name: SR Adventure 4.7
Length: under 3m
Not a Rib but a trailer loading vid anyway !

https://www.facebook.com/689834631120726/videos/865891220181732/
Old 12 August 2016, 22:46   #27

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
I fill my rib right up with gear then tie a tarp over the top, I carry all the camping gear, gas stove,kids bikes,2 fuel gerry cans, 3 20 lt water drums etc.if a ferry crossing doesn't allow fuel in cans fill them once you've crossed the ferry close to your destination.

The fridge, computer, cameras, fishing gear, clothes, dog, 3 kids and Mrs all go in the 4x4. Last boat trip for us was 7000 km, the one before was 14500 km much of which was off-road.

My trailer is a single axle heavy duty, the boat is strapped down as tight as possible to stop any bouncing on the rollers.

I normally replace and grease and replace trailer bearings before each big trip with quality bearings. Check your bearings to make sure they aren't getting hot during the trip, the last thing you need is a wheel coming off especially on a loaded outfit. Keep an eye on tyre pressure on both the trailer and tow vehicle.

Jon