Old 13 February 2007, 11:16   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Trailer winch

Quick question: what sort of capacity trailer winch would you expect to need for my RIB - 5.8m Humber probably about 700kg typical weight?

The one on the trailer is getting a bit ropy and needs replacing, but the place I am looking at sells them from 180kg to about 1200kg rating.

It needs to be able to pull the boat up a not very slippery wooden bunked trailer but I really don't know if the pull required to move it on the trailer is likely to be 200kg or 500kg or what - certainly no way you would shift it with a person or two but there are no markings on the current winch to indicate its rating.

Thanks

Stephen

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 11:44   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
I went for the biggest one I could find with a 10m webbing strap about 1600kg and its two speed with brake but i don't think i'd like to test the brake
On the theory of the less hard work it has to do the less likely it is to fail when I need it

James
Old 13 February 2007, 11:58   #3

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
a BIG two speed jobbie!
Old 13 February 2007, 12:21   #4

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
a BIG two speed jobbie!
Exactly! I replaced mine a few yers ago, and as I recall, they were all about the same price and I couldn't see any disadvantage in having a big'un! Plus it makes me look a lot stronger than I really am when I'm hauling that heavy-ass boat of mine up...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 12:34   #5

Thanks, when I checked the prices there was not much in it anyway so I am going to order the 630kg one which is the biggest they supply complete with a strap, and I found some well priced rollers too so the keel bunk will be getting some "modifications" at the same time which should ease the load on recovery, its the last foot or so that is bloody hard work at the moment! I figured if it will pull the same as the weight of the boat it should be enough for recovery and the bigger ones were a lot more expensive and then I'd have to find a strap or cable from somewhere else.

If I get it right, I can drive the boat right up the trailer with no need to winch at all but the slip I use has "good states of tide" and "bad states of tide" as far as the gradient is concerned, getting the boat "stuck" on the bunks with about a foot to go always produces some swearing!

Thanks

Old 13 February 2007, 15:09   #6

not big enough for us.
ours on the 6m and 5.5 humbers are 2,600 pounds line pull so it says on the casing which will be about 1200kg will it not. Our winches came off the net with strap, in fact we replaced one last autumn. On a bad day I would not like to winch with anything less-bearing in mind that we launch all over the place and not all sites allow easy floating onto the trailer-try to do that on an exposed surf beach and ya break the boat!
Old 13 February 2007, 15:21   #7

I think the bow eye on my Humber would rip out with much more than the existing winch anyway, it already moves a bit when you really heave on it

Most of the time I hardly need to use the winch if at all and I mainly launch from the same site (down by Boxer Bridge if you remember where that is Dave - about a 30 degree gradient if you get the tide right!) and due to the design of the trailer it is a float on float off job anyway, don't think you would easily recover it in shallow water whatever winch you fitted.

In any extreme recovery situations I have a 10500lb hydraulic winch on the front of my 90 which ought to shift it

Part of the reason I chose this supplier is that I am already doing an order with them for work for towing equipment, and we get trade prices which is handy!

Old 13 February 2007, 15:33   #8

still think its too small esp with bunks, it can be hard work with a full roller coaster.
Quote:
don't think you would easily recover it in shallow water
its even harder when you have to run in with the surf, beach it and get it on from dry. If the winch eye is moving ya need to look why? Even if you have to put another one in with a good shaped block glassed in to spread the load. Most winch eyes that move that I have seen around here are cos someone has clouted the jetty bow on right on the winch eye! A certain emergency services rib springs to mind here
Old 13 February 2007, 16:42   #9

Well I'll see what its like - I need to replace the existing one even if I don't improve on it as the ratchet is faulty and has a habit of letting go. Being a bunk trailer there is no way the boat can slide/roll off, but it does bounce around a bit if not locked in at the bow so it needs to be changed! I don't think the design of the trailer would allow "dry" recovery anyway, its a lot higher than "normal" trailers since it is built on a set of solid axles fitted with Land Rover wheels so the keel bunk is above that. Where did yours come from, can you remember the supplier?

I'll check out the bow eye too but I looked at the nuts before and tightened them (they were a bit loose) but it is still not solid so I figured the front of the boat had just been built to the same level of standard/quality as the blow up bits at the back!!!

Most of the sand beaches round here have got minefields on them so I'll not be running in to those in a hurry