Old 21 November 2004, 18:55   #1

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Trailer wheel sizes...

Not sure if this is right forum or right board even but don't know where else to ask!

I ve just acquired a twin axle trailer - not a boat trailer but a box type.

Now it has 3 different tyre sizes on it!! But as all the tyres are all knackered i ll be replacing them anway... but now the problem - they're all the same diameter and the stud holes are the same but 2 of the rims are narrower than the other 2, by about an inch.

Hope this makes sense and what i want to know is should I or can I fit 4 equal size tyres to the rims?

SDG
Old 21 November 2004, 19:10   #2

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
Certainly good protocol to make them all the same type, diameter & width, if not at least the same diameter!

If you have a different tread / diameter / width on one side you will have a traction difference when the trailer brakes. Result will be that the trailer will brake slightly harder on one side than on the other. A visit to your local car breaker for some wheels could be worthwhile..

Remember to price the tyres for the wheels before you buy the wheels, generally smaller diameters are cheaper. Probably a good idea to check the weight capacity which is normally written on the side of the tyre, if your trailer is going to be carrying much of a load.
Old 21 November 2004, 20:00   #3

Trouble is which of the 3 tyres is the right one... and would have 1 of each on each side if keep the same rims...

Tried the breakers without any luck due to the size of the hub hole.

SDG
Old 21 November 2004, 20:07   #4

you could have different ones front and back, but you would be better to match it side to side if you understand what i mean.

Try calling Indespension (01204 478500 - http://www.indespension.co.uk)

They have the required knowledge and have a range of wheels. It sounds that you maybe have two different car types if the centre holes are slightly different. I came across that problem when i was trying to find another wheel for my wifes Peugot after i dented it..
Old 21 November 2004, 20:11   #5

Town: Swinton Manchester
Length: 5m +
Send a message via AIM to Graham H
Try a caravan breakers , I paid £5 a rim, a good wire brushing and some paint they will look like new
Graham
Old 22 November 2004, 00:10   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
SD, tyres have a maximum rated loading. It is usually moulded into the sidewall. The rating is slightly lower when two tyres are used as twins. You will need to get tyres which, at least, match the maximum load your trailer is allowed to carry. It is common for trailers to require 6 or 8 ply rated tyres in order to reach the maximum load rating of the trailer. You should also use the correct wheels. These too are rated. Choosing a wheel just because the stud pcd is a match for the hubs is not the way to do it.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 22 November 2004, 09:45   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Wheels and tyres

Another source of reasonably proced new kit is www.towsure.co.uk

I don't think that the size is particulalry critical as long as the combined weight rating of the wheels and tyres is in excess of the gross weight of the trailer - not just its carrying capacity.
All wheels and tyres should be the same size though.
Old 22 November 2004, 10:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider
...the gross weight of the trailer - not just its carrying capacity.

Aye, reading back, I didn't make that clear.
Old 22 November 2004, 20:15   #9

OK.. 2 are about an inch wider than the other 2 from inside to out, if they were on vehicle...

Indespention say must all be same size... found manufacture of trailer and their head office say it doesn't matter about the width as long as the equal sizes are on the same axle..

Kwik Fit denied that I had 2 different sizes and 165/13 would all fit both rims!!!

So even more confused now... understand about loading etc - old tyre side walls are too bad to read any markings.

SDG
Old 23 November 2004, 00:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGANDER
....- old tyre side walls are too bad to read any markings.

SDG
Since you mentioned 165/13, I can tell you that a 165/13 8ply rating can carry a max load of 1477lbs @ 65psi for a single and 1385lbs @ 65psi for a twin.

It is in order for a car to have different sized wheels providing they are on the same axle. I've no idea about a trailer though.

OK, some general rules. If a rim is too narrow for the tyre it makes the handling a bit floppy and it wears out the centre of the tread. If the rim is too wide, it wears out the edges of the tread but generally the tyre is more stable. The centre of the rim should be inline with the centre of the bearings, however a reasonable displacement is not usually a problem. An offset large enough to put the centre of the rim outside of the bearings is undesirable.
Old 23 November 2004, 00:47   #11

Kwik Fit may be slightly correct in that you could put the same tyre on to a wider rim, just like when you have a car you can change the width a bit without allways changing the rim. And its correct that you could mix the size or tread as long as they matched on the axle. However it is correct protocol to have them all the same. So its really not that difficult after all!

Maybe worth shopping around through other trade suppliers once you have decided which tyre size to go for as I have noticed that Kwik Fit can be tres expensive.