Old 13 April 2009, 16:45   #11
Town: Moray Firth
Boat name: Lochran
Make: Northcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90 4/
cheers Dave,

That's the sort of 'history' that I was hoping for. Sounds like it's good stuff. Do your hubs get dunked on launching?

OT - were you diving up Plockton way??

DonMacN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2009, 15:33   #12
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
I bought new bearings before I ventured out last Sunday for my first fishing trip of 2009. I was genuinely suprised, because the trailer bearings looked as good as new, with absolutely no corrosion. I just needed to adjust the castle nut slightly as there was some slight play, and then renewed the split pin.

I make a regular fishing trip to Rosehearty or Cruden Bay (100 mile round trip), and have 2 weeks on the west coast annually (350 mile round trip). So in 2008, I probably had 8-10 trips (launch and retrievals). On the west coast the boat is moored, so I only retrieve at the end of the holiday. The bearings were fitted new last year by myself, well packed with grease, etc.

I switched to Lubrimatic marine wheel bearing grease. Can't remember the cost, probably under £10 a tub. Fantastic product, I can't recommend highly enough.
Attached Images

spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2009, 15:07   #13
Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
As the starter of the this thread I wish I could offer a useful update, but alas not. I didn't use my SIB at all last season so cannot comment on the effectiveness of the Star Brite product. And only got limited use of the RIB because of work issues.

The RIB trailer bearings, with the Fuchs product, seem fine. Well no play in them anyway. But I do have bearing savers fitted.

I would like to know if anyone has good experience of the Star Bright product. As I said in my original post, it has a 'silicone'-ish texture unlike other greases I've used. I have no supporting evidence but, judging only by it's texture, it seems like it would be very resistant to water.

Trickdog is offline   Reply With Quote