Old 12 February 2018, 10:41   #1

Town: Novato
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4
Engine: Yamaha 30
Trailer type and adjustment

I may be importing a European boat into the US for personnal use. I've notice most European trailers use a lot of rollers. The type of trailer I'm thinking of getting is something like this:

https://cdn8.bigcommerce.com/s-5a502...164603.jpg?c=2

I always use a launch ramp and never launch on a beach. Is this trailer design ok for a rib?

If I purchase the rib from one vendor and the trailer from another how do I adjust the supports? with the boat and trailer in the water?

By lowering and raising the boat onto the trailer on land?
Old 12 February 2018, 12:40   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
That is a fairly standard bunked trailer, most european trailer manufactures will offer roller or bunk options.
Bunk trailers are usually cheaper but fine for a rib it's just down to personal preference. The logical way forward would be to ask the boat builder or supplier to qoute for a bunk trailer instead of a roller trailer they will then set up the trailer as required for the boat. Dealing with one supplier would probably be easier for you and may be more cost effective.
It may be worth getting them to adjust the trailer to make the package as short as possible for shipping and re-adjusting once you have the boat home and the engine fitted to get the correct balance
Old 12 February 2018, 13:59   #3

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
It might be better to buy the trailer locally as the road traffic and vehicle type approvals may not be the same as the euro specs.
Old 12 February 2018, 15:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
It might be better to buy the trailer locally as the road traffic and vehicle type approvals may not be the same as the euro specs.
I've shipped a couple of boats from the US and the.fact the boat rolls saves more in loading charges than the trailer costs
Old 13 February 2018, 08:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I've shipped a couple of boats from the US and the.fact the boat rolls saves more in loading charges than the trailer costs
May well be beneficial for shipping but I know someone here who ended up with a hefty recovery bill and a £600 fine for using a new American trailer on the road here.

Maybe the US police aren't so 4rssy, but worth checking as it may only be good as a yard trailer once it's there.
Old 13 February 2018, 15:41   #6

Quote:

Maybe the US police aren't so 4rssy, but worth checking as it may only be good as a yard trailer once it's there.
I don't think it's so much about our police being arsey rather our trailer standards are higher. We require all wheels to be braked on multi axle trailers and we require park brakes neither are a requirement in the US.
I'd imagine a smaller unbraked trailer to be pretty close either side of the pond but it may not carry the required data plate to US standards.
When I imported my boat I sold the US trailer as a yard trailer for more than I paid for it in the US
The second boat I bought was on a cradle but it cost substantially more in loading charges than a trailer cost.
Peter's and may did the ocean freight and would advise best way forward
Old 13 February 2018, 20:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
......our trailer standards are higher. We require all wheels to be braked on multi axle trailers and we require park brakes neither are a requirement in the US.......
We might be braking all wheels, but we're using 1930's rod and drum brake technology. I'd be surprised if the overall braking efficiency was much better than the American style hydraulic operated discs all be it only on one axle.

Fade, I've found to be the biggest issue (that roundabout coming down into Oban !!!) more so than their absolute performance and that is a characteristic of drums. That, and constantly needing adjusted.

Hopefully in the future the technology might be allowed to move forward, freed of the current "type approval" costs and constraints.

(Although not a requirement I have seen US trailers with parking brakes)
Old 13 February 2018, 20:44   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
We might be braking all wheels, but we're using 1930's rod and drum brake technology.

Ahem, cough cough! Some of us are using 4 wheel disc brakes, been up & down a few mountain passes without any problems[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 21:43   #9

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Slight thread deviation but it's odd that disc brakes haven't taken off for trailers. I know van Claes use them but if you hunt for trailer disc brakes they are pretty difficult to find. You would have thought for the number of caravans that are in the UK, disc brakes would be a popular thing to have - even pushchairs have them now.
Old 13 February 2018, 23:11   #10

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Any boat motor and trailer weighing over 750kg needs trailer breaks by law here, also most of ours are rollered as we do far more trailer launching around the country.

Adjusting a trailer can be done by getting the load bearing keel rollers as close as you can guess then use a trolley jack under the side rollers to level up the sides and make adjustments to the keel rollers. The side rollers are more for support where the thicker stronger parts of the boats keel are for taking the main load.
Old 14 February 2018, 06:01   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Slight thread deviation but it's odd that disc brakes haven't taken off for trailers. I know van Claes use them but if you hunt for trailer disc brakes they are pretty difficult to find. You would have thought for the number of caravans that are in the UK, disc brakes would be a popular thing to have - even pushchairs have them now.

I think Mersea trailers offered disc brakes as an option. Mine are German made WAP, Van Claes buy them in as a complete axle/brake/suspension unit. I can't see why they couldn't be fitted to any boat trailer TBH. It comes down to cost as usual, it adds around £1500 to the cost of the trailer and folks don't want to pay. There is a UK agent in London.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 07:52   #12

Other US/UK difference......2"/50mm tow hitch ?
Old 14 February 2018, 12:02   #13

For the ops purpose the brakes are pretty irrelevant as he won't need them for his size boat.
He's looking for a bunked trailer probably 750kg which isn't going to be hugely different from a US spec trailer, replacing a hitch is probably $25 his only issue may be the makers plate may not have the relevant US build standard.He may be able to get an individual inspection similar to UK trailers, he needs to do his homework on this first.
But in my experience the fact the boat rolled and I didn't need pay for forklift loading meant the saving was greater than the cost of the trailer so even if I'd scrapped the trailer I was on a winner.